Custom Module Backend Page Controls: Skin="Sitefinity&q

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:00

Custom Module Backend Page Controls: Skin="Sitefinity"?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Nov-2015 00:00

It's been a long time since I last posted, mostly because I haven't upgraded SF in a while and I had mostly forgotten what a huge PITA this can be. 

Last week, I started my upgrade adventure from 6.2 to 8.2.  It's hardly been a smooth process but I have things mostly working.  One of the gotchas from having been away for so long is that I completely missed Telerik's announcement that a number of skins were being retired.  Of course, I'm using three of the six skins that have been shelved; "Hay", "Forest", and wait for it..."Sitefinity". 

I've temporarily substituted the Telerik skin for the controls using Hay and Forest.  But what do I do for the controls on backend pages for my custom modules?  If I use the Telerik skin on these the styling looks nothing like the SF content backend pages.  I hope the answer isn't creating a custom skin that looks like the obsoleted "Sitefinity" skin or having to do this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

[EDIT]
The missing Sitefinity skin also seems to break the E-Commerce page templates which appear to use the Sitefinity skin by default.  I haven't looked into this in much depth, but it looks like this is going to suck to fix.  So a big special thanks to whoever a Telerik decided that removing these skins was a good idea.  Another upgrade gone to crap.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2015 00:00

Well, the custom e-commerce templates were easy enough to fix but the I have no idea what to do with the backend pages for the custom modules.  The 3 attached images show the significant styling differences between a dynamic module and a custom module. 

I tried creating a custom external skin assembly and all I can say is holly crap--what a convoluted mess.  Worse if that it's seems to be an all or nothing affair.  If you use an external skin assembly it does not seem possible to also use the built-in Telerik skins.

While, I don't like it, I can respect the decision to eliminate the optional user skins like Hay and Forest.  I simply can't understand the rationale behind removing the Sitefinity skin.  Hopefully there's workaround.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2016 00:00

Hi Steve,

Have you been able to solve the issue, we are facing same problem on upgrade v6.x to 8.2.x but when we try to edit any news item we are getting;

Telerik.Web.UI.RadWindowManager with ID='windowManager' was unable to find an embedded skin with the name 'Sitefinity'. Please, make sure that the skin name is spelled correctly and that you have added a reference to the Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll assembly in your project. If you want to use a custom skin, set EnableEmbeddedSkins=false.

error and when we put 

<add key="Telerik.EnableEmbeddedSkins" value="false" />

Web.config, problem disappears but we are unable to buttons on the editor side

And the solution in here is not working also;

www.sitefinity.com/.../error-after-upgrade-telerik.web.ui.radwindowmanager-with-id-'windowmanager'-was-unable-to-find-an-embedded-skin-with-the-name-'sitefinity'

any help would be appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2016 00:00

Hi Onur,

You can try to edit the News template and change the skin from 'Sitefinity' to 'Default'. To do so:
- Go to: Design > Widget templates
- Edit all the news widgets changing the skin name, if any or set "EnableEmbeddedSkins="false""

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2016 00:00

Svetoslav thank you for your reply.

Our problem is, when we set EnableEmbeddedSkins="false", we are unable to see button images on the backend pages when we try to edit news items.

On the other hand, the problem onyl occurs on the backend pages, while trying to edit any news item, since the problem is not related to frontpages/user pagessolution you suggested does not apply (changing wisget templates) here.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Onur Buyukcaglar

Posted by Community Admin on 20-May-2016 00:00

Hello Onur,

Do you have any custom fields (fields customization) on the News Items? If so can you please inspect their templates?

Alternatively you can open a support ticket where to provide me with backend credentials to your dev site in order to inspect it more detailed.

Once we have the solution you can share it with the community.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed