Azure error logs - Error in controller, see log for details

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:22

Azure error logs - Error in controller, see log for details

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Mar-2016 00:00

Please don't link to that crazy outdated "how to get error logs from Azure" article. It doesn't work.

When a controller throws the above error, it is not logged in the Azure table. I can't try/catch it, as it isn't throwing an exception. How can I get at what the actual error is?

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2016 00:00

Hello Andrew,

I can agree with you that the UI of the Azure Storage Explorer might be have been changed and the screenshots from the KB article and the instructions we have provided may not apply to the current view. We are aware that this can happen and we have noted this in the KB article.

What I can suggest is that you refer to the Azure Storage Explorer documentation in order to get more details about the latest updates in the UI and how to work with it: http://storageexplorer.com/

In addition to this, the errors that are thrown in the controller of an MVC widget should be logged in the error log files and you should be able to review them when you download the logs from Azure.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2016 00:00

I'm sorry for not being explicit. The error is NOT logged in the Azure table. The issue is not with the KB. The issue is the error is absolutely, unequivocally, and in totality NOT put into the error table.

Although, I do completely agree with you that they should be logged to the error table. Because, that would be awesome. But they aren't.

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Mar-2016 00:00

Hi Andrew,

We do not have any known issue about that. The error messages that occur in the MVC controllers should be logged in logs and you should be able to see the error details when you download the logs from Azure. Do you have the project running locally? Are the errors that occur in the controller are logged in the Errors.log file under ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs folder? Is it an option for you to try this?

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Mar-2016 00:00

Try and repro the issue and see what you find.

1) Clean SF in Azure Cloud Service w/ SQL Azure DB

2) Dummy controller that returns a view with a simple error. Something like "@using asdfasdf" should work.

3) Deploy

4) Drop widget on page

5) Viola!

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Apr-2016 00:00

Hello Andrew,

Is the error logged in the Error.log file when you run the project locally (not when the project is deployed on Azure)? Is it an option to try this out and let me know about the results? Does the issue reproduce only when the project is deployed on Azure?

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2016 00:00

Don't you people have a QA department? Would you like me to fix the bug for you as well?

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Aug-2016 00:00

Andrew,

Did you make any progress here?

I'm having the same issue. My app is stuck in the restarting loop. Without these logs I don't have a good place to start looking.  Is there any way to turn this off and just have the logs write to the local file system?

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Aug-2016 00:00

Nope, unfortunately not. The answer seems to be: If you deploy to Azure you don't get full logs. Make sure you ask the nice folks at Telerik though, they'll happily point you towards your own fingers as a solution.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Oct-2016 00:00

We've successfully deployed a Sitefinity project to Azure, but we've decided to deploy to an Azure Web App instead of a classic Azure Cloud Service, which brings me to ask:

"How do we configure SItefinity to write diagnostic logs to Azure, i.e., storage container of our choosing?"

The documentation doesn't appear to include this minor detail. The steps I followed are posted here: docs.sitefinity.com/deploy-projects-to-azure-web-apps

Anyone have any idea how to configure a Sitefinity project to use Azure storage containers for diagnostics?

This thread is closed