Sitefinity 10: Authenticating when consuming WCF services fr

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:48

Sitefinity 10: Authenticating when consuming WCF services from external application

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 28-May-2017 00:00

Hi,

Since upgrading to Sitefinity 10 (previously 8.2) my (trusted) external applications that consume some Sitefinity WCF web services are no longer able to authenticate. 

Previously, I had followed the following forum posts for instruction on how to authenticate and consume services from say a console application.

www.sitefinity.com/.../what-is-the-proper-way-to-authenticate-requests-to-consume-the-wcf-services

www.sitefinity.com/.../error-401-when-calling-the-sitefinity-wcf-web-services

From what I can see the authentication endpoint no longer exists (/sitefinity/authenticate/SWT). So how do I authenticate for these services now?

I have try implementing examples by following (docs.sitefinity.com/request-access-token-for-calling-web-services), and although I can gather a valid access token, using it in my requests to the service endpoints still returns a 401 (Unauthorised) response.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Kindest regards,

Brett.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-May-2017 00:00

I have managed to resolved my issue by reverting back to using simple web tokens in the Sitefinity advanced settings and restarting the instance. My consuming applications now authenticate as expected. (Reference: docs.sitefinity.com/administration-switch-to-claims-based-swt-authentication)

However, it would be nice to understand how I could make use of OpenID authentication when consuming WCF backend web services? Any pointers?

Thanks.

This thread is closed