Will Project Manager always be an exe?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:08

Will Project Manager always be an exe?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2010 00:00

Is the Project Manager a simple exe just for the CTP or can we expect the Beta and RTM to be a full installer?

Personally I'm not a big fan of the single exe to run the Project Manager. I'd rather have an installer that creates shortcuts, quick launches, menu items (I know I can do that myself to the exe but hey..i'm lazy)

Looks good.

I've personally enjoyed the single EXE a lot.  I've been using it for weeks as we were ramping up to release.  Each day the Sitefinity team would create a new EXE file for the latest build and it was extremely convenient to download (and run) a single file.  There was no need to run a new install or upgrade/remove an old install.

Furthermore, I was working with another team to create a Sitefinity add-on and they were frequently working with a slightly older Sitefinity version.  I had a single directory with different versions of the Sitefinity EXE.  These versions could sit comfortably alongside other versions.

The Sitefinity Team might already have plans for an installer, but I'm just giving my own impressions of working with these single file EXE's.   :)

I'm glad you're giving the CTP a look!

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

I've always used the standalone projects to control standard modifications we make to all of our Sitefinity implementations. I noticed that when you create your first project some files are created for empty projects, I assume we can make our modifications to these files and they would be used for all projects created going forward?

In any case, I agree that this method is preferable.

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Apr-2010 00:00

Hello S. Webb,

You can always open the project in VS as "Blank" project. Please take a look at the attached screenshot.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Apr-2010 00:00

I love it.

Really is hassle free to set up a site now. Used to be a pain in the neck to get a site running the first time.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Apr-2010 00:00

Hi Gabe,

I completely agree with you that the single EXE is the way forward with this, if you happen to develop for multiple clients with differing budgets some definitely tend to lag behind others on the upgrades so not having to install Sitefinity to get everything to work is much more preferrable from our point of view. It also means when a new dev PC needs to be set up you don't have to spend hours installing every version under the sun... At the end of the day if you want to create shortcuts it is relatively easy to do it yourself (especially in Windows 7...)

So my vote is keep it as is!

Cheers
Sean

This thread is closed