CTP vs. Beta

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:14

CTP vs. Beta

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2010 00:00

Hi,

Is the CTP the same as the promised Beta version?

What is the timeline for a production ready or "go live" version of 4.0?

Thanks,

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2010 00:00

There will still be a Sitefinity 4.0 BETA, but this isn't it.

This might partially be semantics, but BETA is now thought of as production ready (GMail Beta).  The Sitefintiy 4.0 CTP is not feature complete and we didn't want to give the impression that it was ready for production use. So, we branded this release as CTP to convey the message that this is an early preview.

Internally I've heard that we now looking at summer for the 4.0 BETA.  

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Apr-2010 00:00

Dear Gabe

Thanks for your feedback.

I want to share something the support at Telerik have had to deal with a long time. I am a webpublisher that does a lot of stuff and I think Sitefintiy 3.x was the first CMS I could hand over to clients without them having to be trained 3 days and 1 day after each weekend :-)

It was so intuitive.

To me I would hope that telerik has once in a while a broader view on clients. We are not all full fleshed 100% .net developers. So event though lots of stuff might be clear to any programmer, web designer and endusers view at the stuff from a very different angle.

I hope telerik is trying to get an external view on this new release and through the glasses of regular folks.

Once you have worked with a product long enough you will loose the external focus because everything is clear. Hope Telerik gets it back.

I think SF is the best CMS
Love the Telerik Products
And must say Support simply is the best in the world.

Regards Markus

Hi Markus,

Totally agree.
Although I'm a .NET developer, I find the architecture and API sometimes difficult to understand due to the lack of good examples and clear documentation and I even think that if you are a very good .NET programmer, you still have to do a lot of trial and error before you can get to the point!

Maybe some developers do have time for that, I don't have always :)

Also agree that in my opinion SF is also the most promising CMS!

Regards,
Daniel

"...also agree that in my opinion..."

Yeah, right. It's Friday I guess?! Think you get my point. :)

I hope telerik is trying to get an external view on this new release and through the glasses of regular folks.

Hey Markus,

I definitely agree.  In fact, several weeks ago I wrote a blog post entitled Engaging Beyond Developers that echoed your sentiment.  Part of this process is expanding our view of the audiences that will engage with our tools.

Programmers often divide the world into 2 groups, smart technical people and AOL users.  :)  I'm somewhat joking, but I know I've been guilty of these simplistic generalizations in the past.  As technology has become more crucial to businesses we're seeing many more diverse & specialized audiences engage with these tools. 

So, it isn't just a matter of considering developers vs. regular folks.  Instead we need to consider the entire spectrum of specialized audiences:  Developers, Marketing, Managers, Editors, Sales, etc.  These are audiences with specialized skills, specialized needs and specialized goals.  With Sitefinity 4.0 we need to consider these audiences and streamline these processes.

Now, all this being said, I'm very interested in your post and perspective.  Are you seeing specific decisions in the UI that would suggest that we are concentrating too much on developers?  You're correct that [internally] we've been looking at this UI for months.  Most of us are numb to it.  It happens...  Your fresh perspective is important!

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Dear Gabe

I am on vacation the next week. I am more then glad to provide UI feedback usability wise.

I usually just provide feedback without expecting anything as long as I somehow feel the input is beeing considererd.

Come back to you in 1 1/2 weeks.
Markus

Dear Gabe

Is there a special way I can provide you with feedback and ideas or do I have to post here for every idea? Hope there is a more efficient way.

Regards Markus

My email address is sumner@telerik.com.  Feel free to use it.

I'm getting on a plane this weekend and will be attending Internet World in London.  Then I'll be attending another conference in Philadelphia.  So, forgive me if I don't respond immediately.  Busy times lately...

However, please send me any feedback you would like.  I'll be sure to relay this feedback to the team.

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

This thread is closed