Custom Content Types

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 01:42

Custom Content Types

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Apr-2010 00:00

Hi,

First off this product looks awesome and I can't wait to use it. Awesome job!!!

It would be awesome if there was the ability to have custom content types that could be build using the CMS UI.
So almost like a custom module, but with no programming required.

Almost like a form builder, but for content.
So you could create a content type say Staff Employee then stipulate its attributes:

name
photo
email
etc

And then SF would create controls for both backend administration and front end ui display.

Drupal has this ability and every company that I know uses Drupal sees it as a major draw card.
I see you are giving non-design people control over layouts using SF, which is great!
I complete the puzzle I see this idea would see SF jump to the top cms!

Will this version have a free Community Edition?

And will there be an ecommerce module?

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Apr-2010 00:00

Hi sam,

Thank you for your interest in Sitefinity 4.0

We are going to have such feature - to create custom types of content from the UI. You are also going to be able to add new meta fields from the UI. However creating additional types of content is not available in Sitefinity 4.0 CTP.

We are going to have a e-commerce module for Sitefinity 4.0, however it might be included into later releases - such as Stefinity 4.1.

As for the Community Edition - it is not decided yet. If we have one however it is not going to be released together with the other edition -it is going to be on a later stage.

I hope this answers your questions. I you have more, please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi,

Just curious, is the feature to be able to create custom content types in Sitefinity 4.0 going to be incrementally rolled out prior to the official release? Our company is considering using Sitefinity 4.0 for our next project, however, the ability to create custom content types would be high up on the list of requirements. (note, creating new content types through the admin UI not essential, but the ability to configure new types in a .config would be great for the time being). 

Really liking Sitefinity 4.0, but this is a feature that im really missing in the current build. (4.0.907.0). 

Any news on when this will be possible, (or if this is currently possible now), in these pre releases? 

Cheers

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Haydn,

We will provide an option for creating custom content items for the official release.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Ivan,

To be clear, is creating custom content types only going to be available with the final release or is this just the creating of custom content types using the admin ui that has to wait until final release (shame that this can't be tested by the community first). This is a feature that I need for a new site as well as being able to migrate current SF 3.x sites. I'm totally fine, actually I prefer, if there's a way to do this now without using the admin ui. Any info or tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Phill,

Form the UI you will be able to create custom fields for a given module.You can create custom content types through the API only. Generally the type is related to the module - Content module uses ContentItem, News module uses NewsItem etc.
Creating new fields could be done through the fluent API. You can take a look at this forum post.

We are going to provide a new facade which can work with any type that inherits from Content. Currently it is a little bit challenging to create custom modules and custom types and we are working on improving the developers scenario.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jan-2011 00:00

I've got the final RTW bits here, and I still can't find the "create custom type" functionality. Is it hidden somewhere? Is it possible to do in the admin UI? or should I use some code. How would I do it? I need to get working with Sitefinity, and I was waiting for this feature. I guess if there's another way to create my types and customize the existing types, I could try that. But if I can't yet, then I'll have to go for Umbraco or Orchard.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Eric,

You can create custom fields from the UI. I attached a short video. In the SDK  you will find a sample module which shows how to create custom content types and custom modules.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed