RadEditor has issues when I...

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:44

RadEditor has issues when I...

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2010 00:00

It should not be necessary to use the HTML mode in RadEditor.  

This was my theme in a recent blog post.  In fact, I even expressed that I would like to see this feature entirely disabled in RadEditor.  (Don't worry, I'm not on the product team and these decisions aren't left to me.   :)  

In reply to this blog post, several Sitefinity customers expressed that HTML mode is sometimes needed to compensate for RadEditor behavior.  To address this, I wanted to gather examples of situations that cause RadEditor to produce unexpected HTML or quirky behavior.  

Here are some guidelines for this thread:

1.   Use the Sitefinity 4.0 CTP - (many old issues have already been addressed)
2.   Tell us what browser and operating system you’re using
3.   Describe the steps needed to reproduce the behavior
4.   Tell us what behavior you expected.
5.   Tell us what behavior you saw.

--

Here is an example issue that I found with the Sitefinity 4.0 CTP

Browser: Chrome 4.1.249.1064 (45376)

1.  Type “Paragraph 1” and press enter
2.  Click the Bullet List button
3.  Type "Item 1" and press enter
4.  Type "Item 2" and press enter
5.  Type "Item 3" and press enter
6.  Press enter on an empty line (end bullet list)
7.  Type "Paragraph 2" and press enter

What I expected:

The following HTML:

<p>Paragraph 1</p>
<ul>
    <li>Item 1</li>
    <li>Item 2</li>
    <li>Item 3</li>
</ul>
<p>Paragraph 2</p>

What I received:

The following HTML:

<p>Paragraph 1</p>
<p>
<ul>
    <li>Item 1</li>
    <li>Item 2</li>
    <li>Item 3</li>
</ul>
<div>Paragraph 2</div>
</p>

Your input on this can help us improve Sitefinity and RadEditor.  Thanks everyone!

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Posted by Community Admin on 26-May-2010 00:00

1) Because of the editor issues with paragraphs I always style the backend with this

p
    border:1px dotted #666666;
    margin-bottom:6px;
    min-height:26px;
...shows me where the stupid buggers are hiding

2) Heres the html markup (firefox 3.6)
<h2>test header</h2>
<p></p>

So click back to design, click inside the <p> and type something....<p> disappears...but visually only after you click out of it

3) SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING IN HTML MODE! :)

4) I would like the editor to start me with a default <p> tag, sucks having to write something, hit enter to get one generated, then backspace to delete that one. (does this exist as a filter or something?).  I assume this is built in somewhere...I could probably add it in the code behind on Load, but I don't want to have to do that everytime.

5) An empty <p></p> seems to be a pain in the ass all the time to select or get stuff into

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2010 00:00

@Steve

Number 4 is what is anoing to me the most. I often have two content areas

1) Title
2) Content

I style the Title so the end-user can just enter text and does not to set headings and stuff

Then the content is styled differently. When there is no paragraph in the first line content is to close to title and I have to go back. Cursor front of line, enter, backspace to get a <p> around it.

Regards Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 30-May-2010 00:00

Radeditor has issues when I...use it on an iPad

...for comment boxes, obviously not rich text editing. 

I realize it's a shortcoming on iPad safari itself, but it means that if I want my site accessible from an iPhone\iPad I need to code that in everytime, everywhere.  SO, perhaps, since it's a repetitive task, I wonder if telerik could accommodate that scenario :)

Posted by Community Admin on 31-May-2010 00:00

Hi Steve,

Our colleagues from the RadControls team have taken care of such issues. Please check the following KB article - http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/aspnet-ajax/editor/support-for-iphone-browser.aspx

Let us know if you need any further information. 

Sincerely yours,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.

Oops...

It seems there was a problem with our server.

Try reloading the page.

Can't seem to get there

Also, whatever the fix was\is it hasn't been applied to these forums...so I can't post anywhere

Hello Steve,

Please check with this URL - http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/aspnet-ajax/editor/support-for-iphone-ipad-browser.aspx
It seems I have copied it in a wrong way this morning. Apologies for that. 

Sincerely yours,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Jun-2010 00:00

The editor guys have added it to PITS

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2010 00:00

Nested tags are the biggest issue. For example you might start out entering some text and format it as a "heading 1." When you hit enter to start creating the body of the page the <h1> formatting is still applied. There are a number of other situations where the editor improperly nests tags. As far as I know, this is still an issue even with the most recent version of RADEditor.

Typically the problem is then compounded as the business user applies different formatting to the improperly styled content in an attempt to get it formatted the way they want. Perhaps this is more of an issue with the out of the box implementation of the stand alone RADEditor control then the version in Sitefinity, as there are more formatting options in the former.

This next one is not an issue as much as a need for the HTML view: inserting inline Javascript. There are plenty of times I need to insert inline Javascript to call a function that is contained in an external Javascript file. Perhaps this could be done through customizing the editor or through a user control, but that does not seem nearly as flexible as just entering a quick script.

Another issue is adding a line break <br /> vs a paragraph <p>. I believe the default enter key action can be configured to either, but typically a paragraph is inserted when hitting the enter key and a key combination of shift + enter will insert a line break. This is not so much an HTML view issue, but it can be frustrating for a business user to figure out or remember.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2010 00:00

I'll second the nesting, I get that from my admins as well...

I can't think of many cases in which I'd want to have a heading carried over to a new line...

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2010 00:00

I was just complaining to my IT manager about these kinds of issues in Sitefinity.

Why does my content look one way inside the Generic Content editor, but ends up formatted differently when "I'm done"?

I've been pulling my hair out on a nested pair of lists.  I have an ordered list with an unordered list inside.  Inside the Generic Content editor, I see exactly what I expect:

1. <text>
    • <text> 
    • <text> 
    • <text> 

2. <text>

After I hit "I'm done", I the bullets become numbers with arrows next to them, and the line breaks and white line disappear.  In fact, I wouldn't insert the white horizontal line if a line break would do the job, but even within the editor the line breaks are removed after I enter them.

Hello Jaycen,

Most probably you have some styles that comes from your theme stylesheet or another css files loaded when you open this page and there are rules that alter your list.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Sadly enough, that's exactly what I (technical support mgr) tried to carefully explain to my IT manager.  He couldn't understand.

The issue with the <br /> and <hr /> are still valid, I think.  When I enter those in the HTML editor and then switch back to the "Design" tab, those tidbits of HTML code shouldn't just "disappear".  When I switch back to the HTML editor, they're gone.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jul-2010 00:00

I'm still having issues with the RadEditor in Q2 2010

Had an H3 header, wanted a line after it, so I put my cursor at the end of the header and hit enter

It formatted the html something like this

<p></p>
<h3>header<p>
//cursor was here
</p>
</h3>

I couldn't get out of the h3

Same deal if I put my cursor at the end of a link, doesn't understand that I want a new line and not to move to a new line wrapped in the tag....

It's hard when the only text in there is that header because you can't move to the line below it and hit enter to start a new paragraph

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Aug-2010 00:00

Do you guys have any updates for this by any chance?...have they been pretty good about attempting to fix the editor problems?

I haven't installed the Q2 Service pack yet, but the release notes dont seem (I think anyway) to address these issues yet...which means there's only one more release to go before that's packaged into SF4 (again...I would assume)

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi,

In rad editor Design mode i m typing this text.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbbbbbbb
ccccccccccccc

But, when i come back to the same page again it shows me like

aaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbccccccccccccc

Thanks
Asit

Hi asit,

Please verify that you have <p> or <br> tags in the HTML mode when you insert your text. If there are not HTML tags the text will not be styles. By default when you press "Enter" we add <br> or <p> tags.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi all,

I have experienced several issues with RadEditor. I'd love to see them fixed, but I also strongly believe it is about time we were able to chose which WYSIWYG editor we want to use. The pricing of V4 has been announced, and whilst I think some of the pricing is quite sensible I do think it puts SiteFinity in direct competition with CMS such as EpiServer/SiteCore which allow you to quite easily swap out the WYSIWYG. Anyhow, thats perhaps not a discussion for here, but here are some annoyances I have with RadEditor.

- Type "This is the title"
- Select the text and change it to a Heading 1
- Click the Horizontal line button

You end up with:

<h1>This is the title<hr /></h1> - Completely and utterly invalid HTML

- Press Enter
- Click the horizontal line button
- Type "This is some more text" (at this point this text isnt wrapped in <p></p> so the user has no choice but to click enter again)

You end up with:

<p>This is the title</p>
<p><hr />
This is the next line of text</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Whilst this isnt syntactically invalid - most designers will not want the HR inside the P tag - I didnt ask for it there! And then are we really expecting non-technical authors to delete "<p>&nbsp;</p>" - if the user clicks backspace to delete this new line the <p> which is wrapped around the HR and text is deleted - so you literally cannot get the HTML as you would want it.

This is experience using Win7, IE 8 - using the latest RadEditor at demos.telerik.com/.../defaultcs.aspx

A lot of the time when I go back and look at the HTML my editors have created it is plagued with invalid HTML and empty <p> tags amongst other things.

I'm sure Telerik won't remove RadEditor from SiteFinity, but why not give us the choice? Yes it is used is many of the SiteFinity controls, but unless the RadEditor markup is copied and pasted everytime this shouldn't be an issue.

Over to you...

Al

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Al,

Thank you for reporting the <hr /> problems.

The production of XHTML content is one of top priorities of RadEditor and I logged both problems with high priority in our PITS system. I also escalated the problems to the attention of our lead RadEditor's developers and we will fix the issues for the Q3 2010 SP1 release of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX.

Here you can find the PITS Issue: Public URL. Your Telerik points were also updated.

Greetings,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Hi Rumen,

Thanks a lot - I had started to wonder whether this thread was being monitored as I hadn't received any feedback from Gabe on his thread...I'm really glad to see that our feedback is being considered and helping to improve the overall product.

These issues might seem minor, but if developers want to ensure their sites meet W3C standards even after they have handed content control over to the client then this is a very important fix.

Thanks
higgsy

Trust me, I haven't forgotten.  :)   The team can vouch for that.

I invite everyone to re-run their tests with the RC (tomorrow) and report back.  The Sitefinity team and the RadEditor team have both done a lot of work on this.  I've been personally throwing some complex tasks at RadEditor and reporting issues, internally, for awhile.  Most of my issues have been addressed.  It's feeling very solid these days.

However, I'm sure the community will discover things we overlooked.  Keep reporting the issues and we'll get these issues addressed with the upcoming weekly builds of the RC.

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for your response. Great to connect with those that are putting such hard work into SiteFinity.

Higgsy

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2010 00:00

Put this content into the HTML tab...

<table height="84" width="143">
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <td> </td>
            <td> </td>
            <td valign="top"> </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td> </td>
            <td> </td>
            <td valign="top"> </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td valign="top"> </td>
            <td valign="top"> </td>
            <td valign="top">
            <p> </p>
            </td>
        </tr>
    </tbody>
</table>
(really just inserted and resized a table)

Ok, now try and get to a new line in the editor...you're "stuck" in the table.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello Steve,

There are issues with the "InsertTable" tool of the RadEditor and we have logged several bugs for ContentBlock control.
Anyway, could you clarify how you are trying to add this new line in the editor - do you add some tags like br or "p" in the HTML mode or you are making something in the Design mode. As you know the RadEditor depends on the browser engine. Can you tell me the browser version you use? This will help me to identify the issue.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2010 00:00

Hey Ivan, here's a video, it's Firefox 3.6

We can't expect administrators (here) to be able to type in html to get loose

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello Steve,

Ok, I managed to replicate the issue in FF. It looks like that it does not appear in IE. The problem is a browser behavior when there is no content in FireFox an you enter an element . The result is that  you cannot click outside of it. There is a workaround to this issue which requires setting some dummy content during OnClientLoad event of the RadEditor control by using set_html() client side method. For instance you can put (&nbsp;

function OnClientLoad(editor, args)
    if ($telerik.isFirefox)

var cnt = editor.get_html(true);
        if (cnt != "")
            editor.set_html(cnt);
        else
            editor.set_html(" ");

This is an issue of the RadEditor control that ContentBlock uses. The RadEditor team knows about this issue and they are investigating the problem. I hope that there will be a fix for the next Q so we will use this fix directly instead of making some hacks.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi,

Can I please check whether the RadEditor included within SiteFinity 4 RC 2 is the very latest version? The reason I ask is because I have found what I believe to be a couple of bugs - they were previously documented on this thread.

Issue 1

- Select the text and change it to a Heading 1
- Click the Horizontal line button

Expected result:
<h1>This is the title</h1>
<hr />

IE 8 Result (Invalid HTML)
<h1>This is the title<hr />
</h1>

FireFox 3.6.13 result (Invalid HTML)
</h1>

Chrome 8.0.552.224 result (Invalid HTML)
</h1>

Issue 2

- Press Enter
- Click the horizontal line button
- Type "This is some more text" (at this point this text isnt wrapped in <p></p> so the user has no choice but to click enter again)

Expected result:
<p>This is the title</p>
<hr />
<p>This is some more text</p>

IE 8 Result
<p>This is the title</p>
<hr />
This is some more text

This is very difficult to fix for non technical authors. To get the last line of text wrapped in a <p></p> they have to click enter again, at which point the HTML generated is:

<p>This is the title</p>
<p><hr />
This is some more text</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

If they click backspace to get rid of the extra <p> that has been added to the end, the HTML is:

<p>This is the title</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<hr />
This is some more text

FireFox 3.6.13 result (closer, but the <hr /> shouldn't be in the <p> tag)
<p>This is the title</p>
<p><hr />

The worst bug is this one. When looking at the HTML mode, change back to the Design mode. Then back to the HTML mode again, this is the result:

<p>This is the title</p>
<p></p>
<hr />
This is some more text
<p></p>

Its changed the physical structure of the HTML.

Chrome 8.0.552.224 result (closer, but the <hr /> shouldn't be in the <p> tag)
<p>This is the title</p>
<p><hr />

However, just like FireFox, switch to HTML mode, back to design mode, then back to HTML mode and this is the result:

<p>This is the title</p>
<p><br />
</p>
<hr />
This is some more text
<p><br />
</p>

Could you please confirm whether these issues have already been raised, and if not how I can raise them. They are very serious as it is affecting the content editors ability to write correct HTML without being a web developer.

Regards,
Al

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Telerik,

I realise you guys are probably insanely busy with the release tomorrow, but I could really do with a response on the bugs I have raised in the RadEditor. Have these issues been resolved in the latest RadEditor, and if so will that appear in tomorrow's release.

It's obviously a real problem if my content editors cannot use the RadEditor without creating invalid HTML.

Thanks alot.
higgsy

Hey higgsy,

I'm also seeing the <hr /> results you describe above.  I'm sure we'll address this when possible.

However, my personal opinion is that this scenario is better addressed using CSS in your themes:

h1
    border-bottom: 1px solid Black

By using <h1 /> you're essentially mixing styling with your content, which means it will be difficult to restyle your web site later if you decide horizontal rules shouldn't follow your headings.  If you only want some of your <h1> tags styled then put a class wrapper around the contentplaceholder.

.bodyWrapper h1
    border-bottom: 1px solid Black

This will enable you to scope the styling to only be applicable to parts of the webpage.  Using this approach your content editors don't need to worry about styling while creating content (separation of concerns).

I'm prone to being really opinionated about this stuff though, so take my $0.02 with a grain of salt.   ;)

Either way, we need to address the issues you've identified.

Gabe Sumner
Evangelist
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for your response.

Fair point about how to address the <hr /> directly underneath a <h1> - although that was just an example.

<p>First line of text</p>
<hr />
<p>Second line of text</p>

Ends up like:

<p>This is the first line of text</p>
<p><hr />
This is the second line of text.</p>

Suffers with exactly the same problem, and the <hr /> is supposed to have a semantic meaning, and therefore should never be within a <p> tag.

Do you need me to raise these bugs? And once doing so will I be able to see when they are scheduled for release? The reason I ask is I work with a lot of marketing departments (as im sure most people do here), and they often use FireFox/Chrome - I would classify the problem where RadEditor is creating additional empty <p></p> tags as a fairly major one.

Thanks again
higgsy

I'm also seeing in Firefox when using RC2 that if I open a GC contaner and make an edit, save, then go back into another GC container (or same, just opening the editor)...I lose my cursor.  If I click in the box and start typing I see text, but without the cursor I have no idea where I am in the editor, or even that it has focus.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi,

Thanks Steve. I forwarded this to out front-end developers.

Best wishes,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2011 00:00

Gabe/Georgi,

Did you want me to raise these issues or do you have them in hand.

Regards,
higgsy

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello ,

We are going to check the issues you reported and see what can be done for the next SP.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2011 00:00

Start with:

<div class="container">
<h2>Test</h2>
<ul>
    <li>Item 1</li>
    <li>Item 2</li>
</ul>
</div>

In the Design view, cursor to the end of one of the list items and click enter to add a new item.  The <div> has become a <p>:
<p class="container">
<h2>Test</h2>
<ul>
    <li>Item 1</li>
    <li></li>
    <li>Item 2</li>
</ul>
</p>

Save the content, or switch between Design View and then back to HTML view.  The content that was originally in the <div> is not even contained within the <p> anymore:
<p class="container">
</p>
<h2>Test</h2>
<ul>
    <li>Item 1</li>
    <li></li>
    <li>Item 2</li>
</ul>

We are using the <div> elements because we have some less than trivial layouts that we are styling, but we still want users to be able to use the content editor to be able to add list items.  Is this possible?

Thanks,
Antoine

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Antoine,

funny, I had exactly the same problem yesterday.
But unfortunately no solution yet (less funny).
It seems that RadEditor doesn't like divs, even if you set NewLineMode to "Div" (but "Br" seems to be better than "p" in this case).
Any idea from Telerik?
Started playing around with editors styles, paragraphs and snippets.....

Have a nice weekend!

Udo

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Aug-2013 00:00

Obviously, this is an old forum, but it's valid for our issues with the RadEditor. We currently have Sitefinity 5.1 and many of the issues described in this forum still exist. However, I have a new one to add. Whenever we use a an html5 <section></section> tag in the RadEditor, it works until the next person opens the RadEditor, which then the closing tag </section> completely disappears. We are using IE8 (I know, is outdated, but this is the standard installed version on our computers at our company). Can you reproduce the issue on your end?

This thread is closed