Taxonomy Localization

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:03

Taxonomy Localization

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jun-2010 00:00

Hi,

I'm looking to port a site over to Sitefinity 4 when it becomes available for which localization is very important.

I get the impression that localization is only supported for some features looking through the documentation for 3.x is this true? For example, will taxonomy support localization in any way?

I'm thinking it would be good to have a different set of tags for every language our site supports so when we're showing the most popular tags on the home page for example we won't be seeing Spanish tags when it's being viewed in English.

Do you have a list of modules / features localization will be supported for / not supported for?

Cheers,
Gavin

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jun-2010 00:00

Hi Gavin,

Most probably the Multilingual support will be implemented after the BETA. We are currently discussing what to include in how to implement everything. The plans for now are that we will have multilingual support for tags and categories.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi Ivan,

Has this been figured out in more detail yet?

Ideally I'd like to have independent groups of tags - English, Spanish and German in my case. They would be independent of one another as new tags may be entered by an English end user who doesn't know or care about providing Spanish and German equivalents.

Some tags may simply not translate, or translate into an already existing tag in another language.

Cheers,
Gavin

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi Gavin,

Currently the taxonomies are created in all languages that you have. When you create a new taxonomy it will be shown in all modules. We will try to provide an option selectively display taxonomies and translate them per module, but this would take about a month and  I am not sure that we will be able to release this functionality as you want it.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Oct-2010 00:00

How about being able to assign meta data / attributes to tags? This way a language (or any other attribute) can be assigned to the tag. Then this could be custom coded against front end to select only tags we're interested in?

So for English content I could have a tag selector for users adding content that only auto-completes for them using tags that have been assigned a "lang" attribute of "en". I expect to code up this custom tag filtering myself for the front end, backend just the whole group of tags is available for admin in one big list.

Cheers,
Gavin

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Similar functionality is planned for a release after the official one - we will allow users select taxonomies only for a particular language.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Oct-2010 00:00

Cheers for the prompt response - much appreciated :)

Is Sitefinity open in such a way that in the meantime that I could code my own solution to extend the existing tags implementation? e.g. drop in another table of "attributes" linked to tags so I can filter via custom controls / modules in the user facing front end? Any limitations I should consider?

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2010 00:00

Hello Gavin,

The easiest way that I could see were is adding a new table with your attributes. Inside this table you should have a column where you link the attribute to a tag by ID. You have to create an OpenAccess model and then filter the data that your public control will show. You can use WCF filtering that OA supports.
When you use this way there could be a problem if someone deletes an item through the API or Sitefinity's UI which will result in an error at your end, because the tag ID would not be found in the  taxon table.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed