Error after install

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:25

Error after install

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jun-2010 00:00

I just installed SF 4 CTP and used the project manager to create a project and immediately get an error when I try to browse or use the admin for the new site.  Here's the error dump:

This is running on Win Server 2008 R2 x64.

Server Error in '/Telerik' Application.

Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Telerik\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\SecurityConfig.config' is denied.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Telerik\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\SecurityConfig.config' is denied.

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically MACHINE\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Telerik\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration\SecurityConfig.config' is denied.]
   System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) +10546931
   System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) +2580
   System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) +138
   System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) +89
   System.Xml.XmlWriter.Create(String outputFileName, XmlWriterSettings settings) +5096166
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.GetConfigurationWriter(ConfigSection section) +164
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.Data.XmlConfigProvider.SaveSection(ConfigSection section) +198
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigManager.SaveSection(ConfigSection section) +29
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager..cctor() +315

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager' threw an exception.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.SecurityManager.GetCurrentUser() +0
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.UserPolicyHandler.GetPolicyNames(ConfigProvider configProvider, ConfigSection section) +23
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.GetValueFromPolicy(ConfigPolicyHandler handler, ConfigurationProperty prop, Object& value) +149
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.get_Item(ConfigurationProperty prop, ConfigPolicyHandler policyHandler, String policyName) +122
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.get_Item(String propertyName) +102
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Configuration.ResourcesConfig.get_Cultures() +23

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) +0
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) +808
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +38
   System.Reflection.RuntimePropertyInfo.GetValue(Object obj, Object[] index) +36
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.ApplyInstanceAttributes(Object instance) +218
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.get_Properties() +48
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.ConfigElement.get_Item(String propertyName) +22
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Configuration.ResourcesConfig.get_Providers() +23
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.Initialize() +547
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1..ctor(String providerName, String transactionName) +36
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1..ctor() +25
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Res..cctor() +31

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Res' threw an exception.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Res.RegisterResource() +0
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.ObjectFactory.RegisterIoCTypes() +1270
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +67
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +32
   System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +480
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +336
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +350
   System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +382

[HttpException (0x80004005): The type initializer for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Res' threw an exception.]
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +11301302
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +88
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +4338644

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4927; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4927

Ok, I added permissions to the root directory for SF site for IIS_USR and Network users and fixed the problem above.  Then I could proceed to Admin setup.  When it prompts for DB credentials in Setup page, I then get error about user not having CREATE privilege for either SQLExpress or my SQL Server instance.  For SQL Server, I entered the 'sa' user credentials which obviously should not have an issue and I get the following error:

I wonder if SF even has a QA process b/c I've had these same type of errors on every version of SF i ever install...  I know once it's running it's a feature-rich (bloated?) CMS but these setup errors are a sign of terrible QA since I get them on completely clean server VM's...  Not Good.  Please advise and hopefully a post like this will help shed light that some work remains to get SF to a polished state and I'm talking about the current version too, not just CTP.

Server Error in '/Telerik' Application.

CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SQLException: CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.StatementImp.executeUpdate(String sql) +323
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.StatementImp.execute(String sql) +9
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.ExecuteSqlScript(String script, Connection con, SqlDriver sqlDriver, Boolean noShredder) +436

[OpenAccessException: SQL exception on 'CREATE DATABASE telerik' : CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.ExceptionWrapper.Throw() +13
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.throwBuildException(String str, Exception e) +105
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.ExecuteSqlScript(String script, Connection con, SqlDriver sqlDriver, Boolean noShredder) +649
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DatabaseCreationTask.createDatabase() +1461

[OpenAccessException: Telerik.OpenAccess.OpenAccessException: SQL exception on 'CREATE DATABASE telerik' : CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.ExceptionWrapper.Throw() +13
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.throwBuildException(String str, Exception e) +105
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DatabaseCreationTask.createDatabase() +1719
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.OpenAccessSchemaAdapter.CreateDatabase(Boolean checkOnly) +555
   Telerik.OpenAccess.SchemaHandlerImpl.Telerik.OpenAccess.ISchemaHandler.CreateDatabase() +60
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.UpgradeDatabase(Database db) +63
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Metadata.OAMetadataLoader.Init(String connectionName, String connectionConfig, Assembly[] references, CultureInfo[] cultures) +922
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.SetDynamicFields(String connName, XElement config, Assembly[] references, CultureInfo[] cultures, XNamespace xmlns) +832
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.ParseConnectionString(String connectionStringName, String key, Assembly[] references, CultureInfo[] cultures) +3259
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.EstablishConnection(String connName, String key, Assembly[] references, CultureInfo[] cultures) +23
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.GetDatabase(String connectionStringName, Assembly[]& references, CultureInfo[] cultures, Boolean& requiresReset) +146
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.InitializeProvider(IOpenAccessDataProvider provider, String connectionName) +121
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.InitializeDatabase(DataProviderBase dataProvider, NameValueCollection config) +110
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +22
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.DataProviderBase.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType, Boolean initializeDecorator) +975
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.DataProviderBase.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +18
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.StartupWizard.CreateInstantProvider(String providerName, String connectionString, ConfigElementDictionary`2 providers) +795
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.StartupWizard.GetRoleProvider() +116
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.AdministratorPane.ValidateMembership() +29
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +29
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2981

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4927; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4927

Hi Chris Douglass,

Please take a look at the posts below

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.

Wish those helped but they don't.  The sql server instance is on another machine.  I can connect from other client VMs to this SQL instance and create databases without a problem.  So, I'm not sure (again) why the SF install is so fragile about its sql settings.

I can create DBs from other remote machines using either login as well...  sa or windows integrated.

I tried to upload a screen shot here but don't see an option for that.  Any other ideas?

If you're connecting to a remote SQL Server 2008 R2 instance like I am, do you specify only the server name at the top or both server\instance?  I tried both and when I use instance name it gives me a different error.  And, since I'm getting I a permissions error I think I can safely assume that I was able to connect to the remote SQL server.  So, I don't think this is a connection issue.

Any other ideas?

In case it helps anyone, the fix is to run the SiteFinity Project Manager app as Administrator...  Has nothing to do with your SQL logins per se...  What a pain.

This thread is closed