Developing for 3.x and 4.x

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:34

Developing for 3.x and 4.x

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jun-2010 00:00

Hello All,

The company I work for have loads of projects based 3.x and now we are creating a few modules to make it easier to manage all our custom functionality. Question is how compatible a 3.x module can be towards the final 4.x version? By the way, any ideas when that is out? Is there any major changes to the API?

Oh, and another thing. Is there a way to overwrite the way that the categories work? I would like to change it's database structure, but could not find any documentation about that.

Cheers,
Paulo 

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jun-2010 00:00

Hello Paulo Gomes,

We will create a code wrappers that will ensure that our base code from 3.7 editions will work under Sitefinity 4.0 edition. There will be a beta version in the middle of July and after that we will announce the official release data.

Oh, and another thing. Is there a way to overwrite the way that the categories work? I would like to change it's database structure, but could not find any documentation about that.

Which version of Sitefinity you are referring to 3.x or 4.0 CTP? What exactly you want to modify? In 3.x editions all CategorisView inherits from Cms.Engine.WebControls.Admin.CategoriesView. In this view we ContentManger class and its data provider - Telerik.Cms.Engine.Data.Providers.DefaultProvider where actually the data is persisted/retrieved through Nolics.ORMapper.Base.Transaction.
Changing the database structure and the way that categories work is equivalent to creating a custom data provider.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jun-2010 00:00

Hi Ivan,

All that I am working now is targetting 3.x, but the idea is to reuse everything once we go for 4.x.
As for the categories bit, I actually need to share them with another system so they must come from another table. So if I simply create a new provider and implement the code I need, it should work, right? Another thing, will it work on 4.x as well? 

Cheers,
Paulo

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jun-2010 00:00

Hello Paulo Gomes,

The code wrappers will cover the base functionality and probably creating a custom data provider which stores the data in a custom table will not be handled with our wrappers.

In your data provider you need to implement logic that persists data in the custom table and then retrieve it from there. You can use Open Access which will be used in Sitefinity 4.0 or LINQ -SQL queries.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed