4.0 will have a community edition!

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:29

4.0 will have a community edition!

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jul-2010 00:00

Great news - Ivan on the Sitefinity 4.0 beta webinar said that 4.0 will have a community edition, despite earlier discussions that telerik was getting rid of the community edition.

While we have the standard edition licensed, this is great news for anyone looking to use the absolute best CMS platform available!

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jul-2010 00:00

I heard him to...
Couldn't believe he came right out and said it given the amount and length of the secrecy on the subject the past 8 months.

I'm glad he said it though!

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jul-2010 00:00

Glad I'm not the only one that was surprised by that, thought it had been decided not to have a Community edition. I'm glad Telerik have worked out the model to make it possible. I'm sure it will lead to much higher uptake of Sitefinity, whatever the feature set of the Community version.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Aug-2010 00:00

Hey everyone,

As Ivan Osmak mentioned there will be a Community Edition of Sitefinity 4.0.  However, the challenges outlined in the other thread have not disappeared.  

With Sitefinity 4.0, the Community Edition will return to its original roots.  Meaning it will only be usable for personal / non-commercial web sites.  In addition, it will be limited to a certain number of pages.  These limitations will make it a good fit for small personal web sites, but an uncomfortable fit for medium-large web sites.  (Which is what Sitefinity Standard is intended for.)

More details will be announced with the Sitefinity 4.0 RC.

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Aug-2010 00:00

Gabe,

That's awesome news!  I think it's definitely fair that the Community Edition just be for persona/nfp.  It also gives people like me a chance to experiment with some of the features with a "real" site, and get more experience so I'm better equiped to sell my commerical clients on the product.  

Is there any idea what the page limit might be?  My church for example only has 12 pages, but a local NFP Hospice I help has close to 40 (http://www.williamsburghospice.org).  Granted, they'll all small pages with a paragraph or two of content, but as far as the CMS is concerned they are still seperate pages.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jun-2011 00:00

Gabe,

Just to be clear, I will be able to use Sitefinity 4.0 Community Edition for a non-profit site, correct? Where can I download the 4.0 CE?

Thanks,

Scott

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Scott ,

The CE of Sitefinity 4 can be downloaded from your account. It's actually the same installation file, that will install the Sitefinity Project Manager. When you run that you will be able to choose which edition of Sitefinity you would like to have deployed. Just choose CE there and that's it!

All the best,
Grisha 'Greg' Karanikolov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed