Sitefinity 3.7 master pages issue

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:02

Sitefinity 3.7 master pages issue

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jul-2010 00:00

It may have been mentioned before, but nested master pages are still broken in Sitefinity 3.7.

When editing a page that has a nested master page you cannot use the drag and drop functionality of the product.  Because reordering of controls relies on drag and drop that is not possible either.  Even just clicking a control on the page in edit mode causes the content to become disassociated and will fall to the bottom of the page.  If you hadn't noticed this and were unlucky enough to save it, then you must delete all those controls and re-add them manually (not drag and drop) using the panel on the right.  

This is pretty much a show stopper for business users.  I would hope there is a patch for this coming out soon or that at a minimum it is fixed in Sitefinity 4.0.

If the developers are watching this forum you may contact me if you need help reproducing the issue.  Also I would like to hear if anyone has found a workaround or if 4.0 definitely addresses this problem. 

thanks,
Steve

Hello Steve,

Take a look at this post Nested Master Pages

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thank you for that link, I did read through that and look at the KB article also, but it doesn't actually solve the issue.  Making copies of an existing template wasn't applicable to this situation since we want to manage several layouts which may apply to several masterpages which would result in a cartesian number of templates.

To reproduce the problem create a site.master with a panel and inside that a contentplaceholder.  Then create a twocolumn.master and specify site.master as its master page and add a contentplaceholder in the content area.  Now create a page from twocolumn.master as its master and add a generic control to the content using the add button in Sitefinity.  Type hello world in there.  If you drag and drop or even click the generic control in classic mode then it will fall out of its content area and emit its text at the footer of the page.

Let me know if you would like source code, however it is easy to reproduce it this way.

thanks,
Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jul-2010 00:00

Hello Steve,

Thank you for getting back to us.

What is happening in classic mode is that the page editor thinks that the content place holder where the control should be inserted is the one from the parent master page. This is a known issue when using nested master pages within the Sitefinity 3.x versions. You can use the overlay mode which does not have this problem. We intend on providing much better nested master pages support in our next major version - Sitefinity 4.0

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Sep-2010 00:00

In lieu of this, is there a way to just disable the drag and drop feature altogether to have a consistent interface that works 100%? In my situation it would be better for the end user to add controls via picking the zone in the dropdown and clicking add (the manual way), than trying to explain to use the modal editor or don't do drag drop for this page but not the other.

Thanks,
-James

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2010 00:00

Hello james,

Thank you for joining the conversation.

Unfortunately such a feature will not be implemented for Sitefinity 3.x. For Sitefinity 4.0 you have the ability to define whether users have rights for adding controls to specific placeholders.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed