Feature Request - Migrating Widgets

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 03:39

Feature Request - Migrating Widgets

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Aug-2010 00:00

I just watched Gabes video on creating a simple "Hello World" widget. It's a clean process but in reality not much different from Sitefinity 3.7, except for the part about using the Admin to add the Widget to the Toolbox.

My feature request (or prayer) is that tools can be added the old way as well. This was a huge pain but I've found that after more than a year of developing sites with Sitefinity I've had to modify at least many of the front end controls that come with Sitefinity to fix problems and/or add small features. I assume that I'll probably have to do this going forward as well so if there isn't an easy way to multiple select and export widgets to a format that is easily imported into the next project, I can only ask that this can be done manually the way it's always been done. 

I see there's a ToolboxesConfig.config file, can this just be copied and replaced? Or are there any entries added to the DB when controls are added? It would be nice if any custom controls that are added would be created in a separate file (ToolboxesCustomConfig.config) so that when deploying a new project you only have to move that one file over and it would also greatly simplify upgrading an existing site as you wouldn't have to worry about losing your customizations.

Just 2 or 3 of my cents...

Cheers,
Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Aug-2010 00:00

Hi Phill Hodgkinson,

Thank you for your feedback.
The widgets are saved in the toolbox config file indeed, there are no DB entries, and the only thing you would have to do is to copy the config file and the widget itself. When it comes to migration and synchronization between servers, this will be done automatically by the content synchronization service. 

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed