Hookup Navigation to Web Service

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 02:16

Hookup Navigation to Web Service

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Aug-2010 00:00

Hi,
I am new to SiteFinity and trying to figure out how to bind a Navigation control to a webservice. Basically I have a simple webservice which provides CategoryName and CategoryID and I would like to populate this navigation control from my webservice but I cant figure out where to code?

Maybe I am missing something?  

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6554/sitefinity.png

Hi Alexander,

You can use CustomNavigation type and set the path to to your control which will use web service.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I found the CustonNavigation type but I can’t figure out where to put my codebehind. Sorry if this is an obvious question, has it been implemented yet or do we have to wait for the SDK ?

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Aug-2010 00:00

OK I think I found what I was after, I can open the project in the \Projects\$ProjectName directory with Visual Studio. 

I guess the structure is similar to ASP.NET MVC ? Are there any sample solutions somewhere so that I can better understand the solution structure?

Thanks 

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Aug-2010 00:00

It's just a standard asp.net web application project, not really like MVC at all...just asp.net forms :)

So just open the sitefinity project file and start playing with the API

This is a great resource if you need some help getting started

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Aug-2010 00:00

Hello Steve,

Using NavigationControl will not do the trick. It turned out that Custom Navigation would not be used for your case, because NavigationControl has its own binding that applies over a control that you will declare in the ascx file. The option that you can use is creating a custom widget and bind it to some datasource through web service.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed