Membership/Role Integration

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:58

Membership/Role Integration

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Aug-2010 00:00

I'm using the basic ASP.Net Membership/Roles in my project. I include my project to a Sitefinity web application project as a DLL and ASCX files. My controls log users in, check roles, permissions, etc.

I'm fine with letting Sitefinity doing the logging in the site administrators for editing pages, etc.

What I want to do is set role based permissions on pages/folders from within Sitefinity that will restrict pages, but the roles should come from the ASP.Net Membership/Roles provider. Some of the controls I use have extra checks within them to alter their functionality based on role.

I assume something like this is possible. I imagine I'll have to write my own provider or configure Sitefinity to use the ASP.NET Membership provider.

I've seen similar posts about this in 3.x.

If someone could give me a nudge in the right direction, it'd be appreciated. If there's a good example I could follow or if there's something in the documentation I should read up on, please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Aug-2010 00:00

Hi Eric,

Thank you for using our services.

Sitefinity 3.x works with extended ASP.NET Membership and Role providers - our providers inherit from the ASP.NET ones. The 3.x version is designed to work with mulitple membership and role providers. You can just declare them in their respective sections in the web.config. The back-end of Sitefinity however works with only one provider at a time - you can either use the built in one or a custom one. This article explains how to work with multiple providers. If you intend on using the built in one for back-end access all you need to do is declare the providers for roles and members.

For Sitefinity 4.0 we do not yet have documentation on how to work with multiple providers. The beta version of the system only supports managing users and roles from multiple membership providers though. In order to configure a new membership or role provider you will need to go to Configurations->Security and add the membership and role providers under the respective sections. In the ProviderType field you will refer your provider type. Then when the provider is added you will need to expand its parameters section and add parameters you need, for example applicationName and set it to Custom/. Finally you need to restart the website. After this when you go to Users or Roles you will be able to create users and roles in your custom providers.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed