3.7 -> 4.0

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:19

3.7 -> 4.0

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Aug-2010 00:00

I know the official support for upgrading from existing projects to 4.0 will be provided with the final release but I was wondering whether there was any way that I could test the upgrade process now.

We have about 6 websites using 3.7 SP3 and I would like to start planning their migration to 4.0 - I have no problem in being used as a guinnea pig if SF want anyone to test their tools and help find bugs / edge cases.

Hello Simon,

The upgrade tool is still not ready for which I am really sorry. Currently, it would not be possible to test the upgrade process.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the quick response!
I'm really excited by all the new stuff in 4.0 - there are features in there that our users have been requesting for some time (and this will save me the time developing them!). It's a shame I can't test this with one of our current sites and anything I put together for the purposes of testing the beta wouldn't justify the time - hello world would be too simple to find anything useful out and a real site would take too long to recreate.

We haven't made many changes to core files and no changes to the database, so I guess the upgrade path will be pretty simple. Will you be providing a beta for the upgrade tool?

Kind regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,

The tool will work automatically. Since you have not changed the database and there are not changes that overrides core files there would not be a problem.  The migration tool is not completed and we will consider whether to have it as a separate project or to be included with Sitefinity 4.0.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Ivan, when will the upgrade tool be available?

Hi jkregala,

The tool is available for downloading at codeplex.com.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Is this the stable release?

Hi jkregala,

The tool is stable, but there are some things that have to be polished - content urls, user roles. This is an open source tool and its code is not compiled.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2010 00:00

My Sitefinity 3.7 themes are standard .NET themes located in ~/App_Themes/<ThemeName>.  How do I go about using these with Sitefinity?  Right now, if I added a standard .NET theme through VS2010, the theme is not available in the Sitefinity page creation theme selection.

Thanks,
Stephen

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Stephen,

You can take a look at our Designer's Guide (PDF).The custom themes should be registered through  Administration >> Settings >> Appearance >> Frontend themes.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi,

I tried the Migration but it does not work. I get following error:

"Meldung: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
Zeile: 868
Zeichen: 13
Code: 0
URI: http://localhost:54163/##myprojectname##/ScriptResource.axd?d=Lru2CLiI96bWzQu1yEH8H4j_Uz5kCTJtXGrPDQhgcTBr6nBml7KTXPrXtEEaRG6iZjqsR_2qhyYAZMIuhOHMKbHGDqVvj23oqR53ri8-oiUfI0dq_j0B42kw9wlLQqh2bpINIsdvQv0Ym82rnaOPhtq_nV4jnekxIBIjZxXUiJgZY4flBz8ppJvu90RGztRW0&t=2610f696"

Then I unckecked some thinks and it does work with following log-Error:
Importing Pages...
Error retrieving Pages:

Das Objekt des Typs "Telerik.Cms.Data.CmsUrl" kann nicht in Typ "System.String" umgewandelt werden.
bei Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Migration.MigrationExportService.GetPagesWithParent(Guid parentId, CmsManager cmsManager, List`1 pageList) bei Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Migration.MigrationExportService.GetPages() bei SyncInvokeGetPages(Object , Object[] , Object[] ) bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs) bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc) bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc) bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc) bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc& rpc) bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& rpc) bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc& rpc) bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)

Maybe I have to say, when referencing all dlls to the Project MigrationExportService I got an Error regarding to the constructor of the class "CmsManager". I tried to modify the code. I typed

CmsManager cmsManager = new CmsManager();
cmsManager.Provider.SetVariable("Name", providerName);

instead of:

CmsManager cmsManager = new CmsManager(providerName);

Maybe that was not the right way?

Thanks,
Gabriele

Hello amazonaspinguin,

Could you check which version of Sitefinity you use? We introduces a constructor with parameters in Sitefinity 3.7 SP3. If you use an older version it is possible to get this error. Since we execute the logic for pages on the last step if you use an older version you can just use parameterless constructor.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Thank you, that was also the next idea I had.
Now the service seems to work but I always get a timeout when I try to migrate from my Site on my localhost.

If I try to migrate from my Test-Server-Site I get following error:
Error: Could not find http://##domain##/MigrationExportService.svc on the source site.

But I put the svc-File into the root folder. Is it not possible to migrate from a site on another server?

Thanks!

Hi amazonaspinguin,

The service should be located in the project you want to migrate. You can follow the instructions we have provided so far and the instructions on codeplex as well.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

I followed the instructions and I also can call http://##domain##/MigrationExportService.svc in my IE and I can see the service then. But when I try to migrate the 3.7-project to my 4.0-project on my localhost I'm getting an error. Please see attached file!

Thank you!

Hi there,

I succeeded in importing all things EXCEPT the Pages. I get the same Error I've already posted:

Das Objekt des Typs Telerik.Cms.Data.CmsUrl kann nicht in Typ System.String umgewandelt werden.   
bei Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Migration.MigrationExportService.GetPagesWithParent(Guid parentId, CmsManager cmsManager, List`1 pageList)
   bei Telerik.Sitefinity.Services.Migration.MigrationExportService.GetPages()
   bei SyncInvokeGetPages(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
   bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
   bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
   bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
   bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)
   bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc& rpc)
   bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& rpc)
   bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc& rpc)
   bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)

Do you know what's the problem?

Thank You!

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi amazonaspinguin,

Could you try to remove this code

ExternalUrl = page.ExternalUrl

if (page.DefaultUrl != null)

mp.DefaultUrl = page.DefaultUrl.Url;
    if (!String.IsNullOrEmpty(page.DefaultUrl.QueryString))
    mp.DefaultUrl += "?" + page.DefaultUrl.QueryString;

else

mp.DefaultUrl = String.Empty;

from GetPagesWithParent method.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2010 00:00

For those of you who are beginning to experiment with the Sitefinity Migration Tool...

Be sure to read these instructions:

http://sitefinitymigration.codeplex.com/documentation

And watch this video:

http://tv.telerik.com/watch/sitefinity/migration-tool-for-sitefinity-40-rc

Hopefully that will help answer some of your initial questions.  

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2010 00:00

I dunno why but I get lotsa errors whenever I build the projects mentioned in the articles.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello jkregala,

Can you please make sure that you fix the references before you build the project? Please follow the setup instructions.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Nov-2010 00:00

I got that covered. Here are samples of the errors I experience:

Error   1   'Migration.MigrationModule.GetModuleConfig()': no suitable method found to override  
Error   2   'Migration.MigrationModule.Upgrade(Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.SiteInitializer, System.Version)': no suitable method found to override 

protected override ConfigSection GetModuleConfig()
return null;

public override void Upgrade(SiteInitializer initializer, Version upgradeFrom)

So I tried to comment out the affected lines above since I don't think they make any sense. But alas, another error:

Error   1   The type or namespace name 'PageDataElement' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)   C:\DIRECTORY\Sitefinity4.0\MigrationModule.cs

And I mean those aren't just the errors. In the part where I have to build a DLL for the 3.7 project, I got lots of errors too. I just got around after commenting-out lines that were causing an error and I was able to build the app. I still don't know what effect that will bring.

Hi Telerik,

Our project is in SF 3.7 SP1 .Net 2.0
We tried to migrate it to SF 4.0 .Net 4.0 and there were references issues.
Do we need to upgrade it first to SF 3.7 SP4 using this instructions?
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/upgrade-instructions.aspx
Thanks!

Hello ,

@Robert - it would be better if you upgrade to Sitefinity 3.7 SP4. The open source tool that we created was tested with Sitefinity 3.7 SP3 and 3.7  SP4.

@jkregala
Upgrade and PageDataElement were introduced in Sitefinity RC. Both are related to Sitefinity 4.0 modules.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed