Unable to create a project to be hosted in IIS

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:31

Unable to create a project to be hosted in IIS

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Aug-2010 00:00

Hello All,

I have downloaded the Sitefinity v 4.0 to try the evaluation and then use in our application.
I was able to successfully create a project on the File system. But when I was trying to create a project in IIS, I have selected the name of the Virtual Directory and when I clicked on "Next", I get the error specified in "ERROR1.png". Related Error Message is present in "ERROR1_Message.txt". I clicked on "Continue" and then "Finish" and then I got "ERROR2.png".
ERROR1_Message content goes here:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: length
   at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.UI.CreateProjectGeneralPage.SetControlText(Control control, String text, FixedTextTypes type)
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.UI.CreateProjectGeneralPage.EnsureProjectPath()
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.UI.CreateProjectGeneralPage.set_ProjLocation(ProjectLocation value)
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.UI.CreateProjectGeneralPage.btnBrowse_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Sitefinity
    Assembly Version: 4.0.565.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.565.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/nagendra.rao/Desktop/Sitefinity/4.0%20Beta/Sitefinity_4_0_BETA.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Web
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll
System.DirectoryServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.DirectoryServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.DirectoryServices.dll
************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
For example:
<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Please help me in this regard.
Thanks,
Nagen

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Aug-2010 00:00

Hello All,

Please answer this, so that I can decide whether to go for V 4.0 or V 3.x because this is the basic thing (as far as I know).

Thanks & Regards,
Nagendra Rao

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Aug-2010 00:00

Hello Nagendra,

Thank you for using our services.

Please take a look at this forum thread for information on how to fix the FileNotFound excetion: FileNotFoundException when creating new project.

As for the problem with IIS, could you please describe the steps you take to create a new project in IIS? As well as could you please mention your IIS version and OS. I have attached a small video sampling how I create a project on IIS.

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/295/4571.213523_5F00_createsf4projectiis6.zip:320:240]

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/295/0044.213522_5F00_createprojectiis.zip:320:240]

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I have the beta running but not in integrated mode which errors out when trying to create the database, I was forced to run the same way as version 3.7 classic.Net App Pool.

Regards,

Neil

Hi nenwmn,

Can you please be more specific and tell us what kind of error message you are getting when creating the database in integrated mode? We will be more than happy to assist you resolve this.

Sincerely yours,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

The latest attempt was following the method attached in this post for IIS 7, previous attempts were created in the default website in IIS 7 all fail with the same message.

I add an application to Default Web Site then create a blank database in SQL Express a named instance. Then from the project manager create new project selecting HTTP from location and browsing IIS selecting the application created previously. When the project is created always successfully I go to administration screen and select SQL Server with windows authentication server is the named instance and the database that was created in SQL Server Management studio previously.

When continuing in integrated mode the error below stops the installation and continues if I go to IIS and change to classic.Net App Pool.

Server Error in '/sf4beta' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'. 
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[SQLException: CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.StatementImp.executeUpdate(String sql) +196
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.StatementImp.execute(String sql) +5
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.ExecuteSqlScript(String script, Connection con, SqlDriver sqlDriver, Boolean noShredder) +279

[OpenAccessException: SQL exception on 'CREATE DATABASE sf4beta' : CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.SPI.Backends.ThrowException(Exception e) +4
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.ExceptionWrapper.Throw() +14
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.throwBuildException(String str, Exception e) +32
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.ExecuteSqlScript(String script, Connection con, SqlDriver sqlDriver, Boolean noShredder) +331
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DatabaseCreationTask.createDatabase() +1037

[OpenAccessException: Telerik.OpenAccess.OpenAccessException: SQL exception on 'CREATE DATABASE sf4beta' : CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.SPI.Backends.ThrowException(Exception e) +4
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.ExceptionWrapper.Throw() +14
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DataObjectsTaskBase.throwBuildException(String str, Exception e) +32
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DatabaseCreationTask.createDatabase() +1099
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DatabaseCreationTask.execute() +5
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.OpenAccessSchemaAdapter.CreateDatabase(Boolean checkOnly) +335
   Telerik.OpenAccess.SchemaHandlerImpl.Telerik.OpenAccess.ISchemaHandler.CreateDatabase() +55
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.UpgradeDatabase(Database db) +33
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Metadata.OAMetadataLoader.Init(String connectionName, String connectionConfig, Assembly[] references, CultureInfo[] cultures) +283
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.SetDynamicFields(String connName, XElement config, Assembly[] references, CultureInfo[] cultures, XNamespace xmlns) +577
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.ParseConnectionString(String connectionStringName, String key, Assembly[] references, CultureInfo[] cultures) +2656
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.EstablishConnection(String connName, String key, Assembly[] references, CultureInfo[] cultures) +21
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.GetDatabase(String connectionStringName, Assembly[]& references, CultureInfo[] cultures, Boolean& requiresReset) +98
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.InitializeProvider(IOpenAccessDataProvider provider, String connectionName) +90
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.InitializeDatabase(DataProviderBase dataProvider, NameValueCollection config) +76
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +18
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.DataProviderBase.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType, Boolean initializeDecorator) +727
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.DataProviderBase.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +18
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.StartupWizard.CreateInstantProvider(String providerName, String connectionString, ConfigElementDictionary`2 providers) +605
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.StartupWizard.GetRoleProvider() +63
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.AdministratorPane.ValidateMembership() +21
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.AdministratorPane.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +45
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +175
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4206; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4205

Best Regards,

Neil

Changing the identity in IIS to use LocalSystem instead of NetworkService got rid of the error and creates the database successfully using Integrated Pipeline.

Regards,

Neil

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Aug-2010 00:00

Hi nenwmn,

The error you were getting is because the Network Service account which the integrated pipeline application pool was using did not have permissions to create databases on your SQL server. By default the Network Service identity has an MS SQL login, however it does not have sufficient permissions to create new databases. This permission has to be provided additionally should you decide to use Windows Authentication instead of SQL Authentication.

Sincerely yours,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed