Roles and Permissions

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 11:19

Roles and Permissions

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Aug-2010 00:00

I am evaluating Sitefinity 4.0 BETA for a corporate intranet. I am having problems getting the roles and permissions to work. I haven't found a post on this issue so assume there is something that I am not doing correctly.

I want to create a role that can log in to the backend and upload documents to a specific document library.

These are the steps I have taken:

1. Create a new role. [Note: when I create a new role the dropdown box on the right hand side only gives me the option of Default(1) ]

2. Give the following permissions to that role:
Document      
ViewDocument - Allow
ManageDocument - Allow
ChangeDocumentOwner - Allow
ChangeDocumentPermissions- Allow
Document Library
ViewDocumentLibrary - Allow

3. Create a new user and assign this user to the newly create role

When I log in as the new user I expect to see the Dashboard and Content menu items and then only Documents available under Content.

Instead all I can see this the Dashboard. Nothing else.

I tried giving this role all permissions. I went through and checked every box. Log in and still see just Dashboard.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Really need to sort this out as I am supposed to be demoing to client later this week.

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Aug-2010 00:00

Hello Anneliese,

Thank you for using our services.

We have several issues regarding roles and permissions in the Sitefinity 4.0 Beta. The problems which you are experiencing. While we resolve the issues with roles and permissions we have provided a set of built in roles - Editor, Author, etc. Our recommendation is to use the built in roles and revoke permissions for them and add new ones, and then assign users to them. This approach should work for the Beta.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello, I´m testing Sitefinity 4.0 RC and same problem here!

Are you still working on this issue?

Thanks in advanced

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Filipe,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Unfortunately this issue still pertains to the RC release. What you have to do to overcome it is to provide the roles you create with View permission for the back-end pages that represent the module pages for which module you have granted the role certain rights.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

Has this been resolved in the official release? I am trying to create a new role with certain permissions and the only thing users of that role see is the dashboard link.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi shae,

Yes, the problem persists in the official release. You have to set permissions for the backend pages. We made some improvements in the internal builds only.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Shae,

Could you describe the process of creating a custom role and then granting it permissions to the "Pages" tab?  I'm having the same issue; I can't figure out how to allow my custom role to see more than the "Dashboard", and I'm not sure what it means to set permissions for the backend pages.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2011 00:00

Ivan,

I created two roles - "Approvers" and "Publishers" because I cant see how the built in roles are very useful for workflow purposes. No matter what permissions I set for these two roles whwn they login they cannot see any of the Content menus - is this related to the bug reported on this post? At the moment does Sitefinity not work with custom roles?

Thanks
higgsy

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello higgsy,

You should set view permissions to the backend pages for the roles you created. Please go to Administration >> Backend pages and grant the roles with "view" permissions to the backend pages you want to access by using these roles.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Aug-2012 00:00

I am facing the same problem in version 5.1.

"Built in" roles work like a charm but users with custom roles only see the dashboard menu (whatever permissions they have).

Is this a known issue or is there something wrong with my environment?

Thanks in advance.

This thread is closed