4.0 Release Plan?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:58

4.0 Release Plan?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Sep-2010 00:00

Hi!

I would like to know how is the 4.0 release plan so far. Is the RC release expected for October? What are the plans for the final release version?

I would like some updates on the matter.

Thank you,

Augusto

The RC is planned for October.  The official release is expected early December.

Are you looking for other details?

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

None actually.

All the features I´m waiting for is already available in the beta, mostly the new layout widget support and brand new admin interface, also the full integration with ORM.

I´m starting a project to optimize a portal made in 3.x in the end of November and I´m planning to make the 4.0 migration part of it, that´s why I´m concerned about the dates.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Sep-2010 00:00

Hi Gabe,

So 3.7 has been dropped like a hot potato with no future updates.

Regards,

Neil

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Sep-2010 00:00

Hello nenwmn,

That's not true and we have mentioned many times that we will not abandon Sitefinity 3.x and this is why we are going to have regular SP. We are working on Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 which will be released next week if we manage to fix some bugs that was reported in the last few days from clients. Furthermore we will have support for .NET Framework 4.0.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2010 00:00

Hi,

I hoped that RC will be released in October, but it seems that based this post it will be post ponded for couple of months.
What is correct now?

Kiril Jovchev
Software Architect

UOMA OY | Merimiehenkatu 36 D | FI-00150 Helsinki | www.uoma.fi

Hello jovchev,

There is no certain date for the RC that we have agreed on. 

Our initial plans for the official release are in December.  We are planning one more preview release (the RC – release candidate) before the final release which will not be earlier than 1 month.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi,

Early Christmas present or New Year hangover, the pricing structure would be useful?

Best Regards,

Neil

Will there still be incremental releases after beta2?

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Oct-2010 00:00

Hello Kristian,

Our plans are to go with RC after Beta 2, but this depends on how many bugs will be appear after we implement localization, schedule services and workflow.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Oct-2010 00:00

It would be nice to see the bugs with 403 and 404 errors fixed asap, please!

Hello Joe,

We are working on this and you will be able to see the implementation working in the next release. As mentioned several times these are not actually bugs - this is how the ASP.NET SiteMapProvider works and we need to extend the .NET Framework code to get the desired result and server 403 response.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

I understand that you do not perceive them as bugs, but, from an end-user's perspective, all I am trying to do is assign permissions to a page and redirect my users to a login page if they do not have permissions to see this page.

When a CMS product does not support this, it would seem very much like a bug, to a non-technical evaluator of your product. 

You must understand the types of conversations I am trying to deal with, let me give you this example.

Non-Technical Business User: Can you show us how we can only allow access to certain pages based on a users role?

Me: Sure, all I have to do is assign permissions to the page like this.

Sitefinity: 404 error

Non-Technical Business User: Is it supposed to give an error screen like that.

Me: No, it seems like a bug.

Me: No, thats not a bug, thats how .NET implements the SiteMapProvider

Non-Techincal Business User: What is .NET, and what is a SiteMapProvider ?

Don't get me wrong, this is an exceptional product that we are complete sold on, and will probably buy lots of licenses of, but, I was really disappointed when this seemingly simple issue was not resolved in the last beta2 release. I was very excited that I would be able to show my business users that this core functionality of a CMS system is actually working.

I apologize to continue to belabor this topic, but, come-on guys, this should be a huge priority. I can't test out permissions at all.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi Joe Keller,

Thank you for your follow up. 
I know it's very hard for everyone to find the bridge between the development world and the end users. I can assure you that we are trying to make Sitefinity as much user friendly as possible, and still to keep the developers that will work with the product happy. The bugs in the beta2 are really a priority, as well as the permissions and the better handling of the anonymous users.
We are all sure that Sitefinity will be improved with every new version.

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Oct-2010 00:00

Thanks guys for the response, and I also apologize for hi-jacking this thread.

I am eager to see the progress in the next release.

Regards,
Joe

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2010 00:00

Sitefinity Team
Are we going to be able to go live with the RC or do we have to wait until December for that? I need to be able to sell this Sitefinity 4.0 so I don't want to mess up the expectations.

Jaime

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi Jaime,

You should be able to go live with the RC, but we will provide an upgrade to the official release as well. The RC will not be completely optimized for a live environment though.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

This thread is closed