Sitefinity 4.0 Beta 2 was released

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:43

Sitefinity 4.0 Beta 2 was released

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Sep-2010 00:00

Hi all,

Sitefinity 4.0 Beta 2 was released and is available for download in Your Accounts, section Free Trials.
The objective of this release was to provide for .Net 4.0 support, implement some new features, and fix a number of issues discovered since Beta. A more detailed list is below.

As always, your comments and feedback is more than welcome. Please, get back to us and let us know what you think!

Regards,
Sitefinity Team

==============

October 05 Update (Build 675):

• RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX were updated to Q2 SP1 release
  • SDK was added, for more details refer to Sitefinity SDK page

What’s New

•  .Net 4.0 framework support
Note: Support for .Net 3.5 will be discontinued because Sitefinity 4.0 relies heavily on.Net 4.0 features such as: Workflow Foundation 4.0 rule engine, dynamic types, code contracts, WCF improvements, Medium trust support of the Virtual Path Provider, etc.

• Content -  Implemented Scheduling
  • Content Widgets (Blogs, News, Events, etc.)
      • Enabled filtering by categories, tags, specific blogs, date ranges
      • Extended URL Evaluators work in two modes - UrlPath and QueryString
  • Content Editor
      • Implemented "Insert a document" option  
      • Implemented "Insert a video" option
  • Configurations - Added option to configure the time zone (all dates are stored in UTC format)
  • Page locking/unlocking - Improvements
  • Navigation Control - Implemented "Custom selection of pages"
  • Comments - Implemented Settings per module, Captcha 
  • Forms
      • Added Limitations settings per form field
      • Added export to CSV for form entries
      • Added options to edit and add new entries in administration
      • Implemented lifecycle
  • Documents
      • Enabled Versioning
  • Videos
      • Enabled Versioning
  • Session expiration results in pop up screen
  • Analytics
      • Added drill down capabilities for each report
      • Added sorting and paging in the grids
      • Added encryption to the GoogleAnalyticsProviderConfiguration.config file
      • RadControls for Silverlight are updated to Q2 SP1 release
      • The map report now has multiple layers for showing countries, regions and cities.
  • Fluent API
      • Added Content life cycle

What’s Fixed
  • Many fixes in content, pages, forms and feeds

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Sep-2010 00:00

Is there a release candidate still planned, or is this it? I thought I heard a release candidate was scheduled to come out before the final release, so I'm wondering how close we are to seeing that.

It's interesting to hear that support for .NET 3.5 will be discontinued. I personally don't mind, but like many others I will need to make sure my servers have .NET 4.0 installed. There may be many production environments that have not made that jump yet.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Sep-2010 00:00

Hi,

Sound great.

Is this the offical RC version or another beta version ?

When is the RC version available ?

When will the newsletters feature (that was in 3.x) be available?

Thanks

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2010 00:00

Hello Steve,

This is not the official RC, this is BETA 2 release. Newsletters module is  included in plans for subsequent versions.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi everybody,

Where can I give technical feedback ?

Thanks,

Mariano LEANCE.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Oct-2010 00:00

Hello Mariano,

You could use the General Discussions forum and Sitefinity's user voice

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi,

Just downloaded Sitefinity 4.0 Beta2 and it is drastically different. Unrecognisable! My first question is how do I upload a User Control to the Controls area, so that I can drag and drop them onto a page?

Also, how do I enable or disable controls like Login controls and so on?

That's all for now.
Many thanks,
Andrei

Hi Andrei,

Uploading controls in not implemented in the BETA2. You can use the configuration section or config file. For more information, please take a look at Adding a new control

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Ivan,

I take it that it will be implemented in the final release then?

Also, when is the final release expected for?

Many thanks,
Andrei

Hi Andrei,

We have this feature in our plans and we will make sure that we will implement is as soon as possible. However, I cannot promise you that this feature will be part of the official release. In the meantime you can take a look at our new Software Development Kit (SDK) that features how to build custom widgets and register them in Sitefinity's toolbox. We have a few step by step tutorials on how to build a widget from scratch.

We have plans to release official Sitefinity 4.0 by the end of the year. We will also have a release candidate about a month before the official version, however I cannot give you an exact timeframe for now.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,
Hristo Borisov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2010 00:00

Hristo,

My first question is how do I start it? I can't see anything in the Start -> All Programs not in the IIS. When I installed it, there was a window where I could create projects. Now I do not know how to invoke it. Very, very different, will have to re-learn everything.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Hi Andrei,

The Window you see is our new Project Manager which creates the projects on the file system and you can use it to run your projects even without hosting the project on an IIS server. You might find these blog posts useful.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Ok Ivan,

I am starting to see whats going on. One issue though so far: I am trying to assign the database and server name and I get - "

You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user."

Whats that about? The database is there, the server is up and running???

Many thanks,
Andrei

Hi Andrei,

This error could be thrown if you are trying to get an item( or the web service for Blogs, Event, Content etc) by ID which does not exist anymore. You are making a request that triggest GetContentItem method of content object.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Ivan,

A complete computer re-start fixed it. Seems to have cached something somewhere which only a restart can fix. Also, when I tried to delete a project from the project manager it died with an unhandled exception.

Will keep you updated with issues.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Hello Andrei,

Ok, let me know if you find some issues, so we could determine whether they are bugs or results from some particular scenarios.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Ivan,

I am starting to like it more and more. I am evaluating the new version to see if it does all we need for a new customer. I think it ticks all the boxes. Can I ask for some direction?, Where can I find some info on extracting the details of the currently logged in user. I want to do it in a way that will not be broken over consequent versions.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Hello Andrei,

You can use SecurityManager.GetCurrentUser() to get the SitefinityPrincipal or SecurityManager GetCurrentUserName. Then you can work with UserManager class.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2010 00:00

Ivan,

All I did was to open the Web Application added a new Folder and added a control to that folder. Rebuilt it and now I get this:

Server Error in '/Sitefinity' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities, Version=4.0.685.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities, Version=4.0.685.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities, Version=4.0.685.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace: 

[FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities, Version=4.0.685.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.ObjectFactory.RegisterIoCTypes() +0
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions.Bootstrapper.Bootstrap() +72
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +24
   System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.System.Web.IHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication application) +10
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModulesCommon() +166
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitModules() +46
   System.Web.HttpApplication.InitInternal(HttpContext context, HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers) +715
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetNormalApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +283
   System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetApplicationInstance(HttpContext context) +104
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +327

Ivan,

Then I created a different Project TestSite and when trying to link to the Database I get this:

Server Error in '/TestSite' Application.

You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: Telerik.Sitefinity.SitefinityExceptions.ItemNotFoundException: You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[ItemNotFoundException: You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.IOpenAccessExtensions.GetItemById(IObjectScope scope, String id) +206
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Data.OpenAccessRoleProvider.GetRole(Guid id) +103
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Data.RoleDataProvider.GetUsersInRole(Guid roleId) +40
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.AdministratorPane.ValidateMembership() +121
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.AdministratorPane.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +32
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +174
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4653

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Ivan,

When trying to delete a project from the Project Manager, I get the following attached unhandled error.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Hello Andrei,

It looks like some file of the project is used by another program ( like Visual Studio). Could  you close all other opened applications, restart your machine and try to remove the project.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2010 00:00

Andrei,I had to deal with the same error ( You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user. ) .You can try to do the following:
1. Create a new project 
2. Remove all tables in the database  <-- your old records causes the error
The following steps are only needed when you want to publish the project
3. Publish project 4. Change IIS(7) settings:

- Set to 4.0 integrated pipeline
- Anonymous authentication - Enabled - ASP.NET Impersonation - Disabled - Basic Authentication - Disabled - Digest Authentication - Disabled - Forms Authentication - Enabled - Windows Authentiation - Disabled

Kind Regards,Pascal RiederSWATvertising

This thread is closed