Questions about documents library

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 09:41

Questions about documents library

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi!

I test Sitefinity 4 Beta 2 and It is so cool!

I am trying to compare features of Sitefinity 4 Beta 2 and Sitefinity 3.7 SP4. I want to create a big Document Library which will be a sort of main document storage. Main features I want to have in this storage are:

1. User friendly interface for managing this storage. In SF4 B2 and SF3.7 SP4 interfaces are great and very customizible. 

2. Search in documents. Does Sitefinity 4 Beta 2 have such feature as Search in documents? How can I implement this by API or something else?

3. Items and libraries permissions. As I see in SF3.7 SP4 I can only set permissions for Libraries module. In SF4 B2 I can set permissions for all items in module Documents.

4. Navigation by categories and tags. I have a question about taxonomy in SF4. How can I configure filtration by category for download list in SF4? Where can I find information about configuration of others controls? In SF3.7 SP4 this filtration is obvious.

Maybe anybody can suggest some links or helpful information for my investigation?

Thank you.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi Paul,

Thank you for using our services.

Search is not yet implemented Sitefinity 4.0. However we have this on our to do list. Unfortunately the search will not be indexing the content of documents uploaded - it will be indexing their meta data. We are thinking of implementing this for word documents. In order to develop such functionality you would to use our API for creating indexes and to extract the content of the files. You could use some open source libraries as Apache PDFBox or iTextSharp.

So far the Search is not implemented and we do not have documentation on how to use its API. Once however this feature is release it will be backed with documentation explaining how to use the API to create indexes.

Filtering is also not yet fully implemented for content view controls. At this stage you are only able to define filter expressions as in Sitefinity 3.x in the control editor. For now you are able to select the libraries from which the download list is populated.

Kind regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi there,

Can I ask what types of documents exactly does Sitefinity 4.0 support. Does it support Open Office Documents?
A list of all the document formats would help.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello Andrei,

Here is a list with the files you can upload

*.doc;*.docx;*.rtf;*.txt;*.pdf;*.ppt;*.pps;*.pptx;*.htm;*.html;*.xls;*.xlsx"

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2010 00:00

Ooops,

Ivan any plans to support Open Office at all in the future?. It is becoming more and more popular as Microsoft Office is becoming more and more expensive.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Hi Andrei,

There will be changes to Documents section, so I will put your request for further consideration.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Many thanks Ivan. What is the usual turn-around for a decision.

Andrei

This thread is closed