Creating a new theme

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:03

Creating a new theme

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Oct-2010 00:00

Hello all!

I've just setup an new virtual server and setup Sitefinity 4 Beta on it. The administration of my new site is working fine.

I'm reading the Designer guide on how to setup a new template. The documentation says this:

~/App_Data/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/DefaultTemplate

I don't have a WebsiteTemplates folder. I tried making one manually based on the doc. I created the App_Master, App_Themes folders, etc, but I can't see my theme in the admin tool. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Doug

Edit: The help link "www.sitefinity.com/.../how-to-upload-my-own-theme.aspx" has no content. :-(

You need to add it to backend
/Sitefinity/Administration/Settings

And go to Appearance > Frontend Themes > Create New

Then add the path to your theme

~/App_Data/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/App_Themes/SampleTheme

I see. What are the best practices for the fields below?

Path:
Namespace:
AssemblyInfo:

Edit:

LOL, I broke it.

Server Error in '/MySite_dev' Application.
'C:/Projects/MySite_dev/App_Data/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/MySite' is a physical path, but a virtual path was expected. 

Note to self, don't delete all the existing front end themes because you get this:

Server Error in '/MySite_dev' Application.
An item with the same key has already been added.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

I'm on a roll!!!

I tried to delete the Project and got this:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
Sitefinity.ProjectManager.Deployment.DeploymentException: An error while trying to deploy a project has occurred. See inner exception for more details. ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Projects\Signal88_dev\App_Data\Sitefinity\Logs\Error.log' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.Deployment.FileSystem.FileSystemClient.Delete(IAbstractFile file)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.Deployment.FileSystem.FileSystemClient.Delete(IAbstractFile file)
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.ProjectManager.DeleteProjectFiles(IProject project)
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.UI.MainForm.RemoveProjects(IProject[] projects)
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.UI.MainForm.RemoveProjects()
   at Sitefinity.ProjectManager.UI.MainForm.commadsToolstrip_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Sitefinity
    Assembly Version: 4.0.685.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.685.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/My%20Documents/Downloads/Sitefinity_Beta2_Build685/Sitefinity.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Web
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.206 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hello Doug,

It looks like that the error log - Signal88_dev\App_Data\Sitefinity\Logs\Error.log has been locked at the time when you have tried to delete the project and this has caused the error. Could you try to unlock the log file or delete it before removing the project through the Project Manager.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I found the process that was locking the file and closed the file handle with a shell extension I downloaded. Then, when I tried to re-create the project, it threw an exception when I tried to re-use the database I had already setup. So, I dropped the database and recreated it.

I'm back to where I was, which is trying to understand how the themes work. I started a new thread so people wouldn't have to dig through my unrelated exceptions.

Thanks for responding, though. I feel like I just got SF3 figured out and now I feel like a noob again. LOL

This thread is closed