handling Subdomains in 4.0

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:56

handling Subdomains in 4.0

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Oct-2010 00:00

just curious if theres been any advancements made on this front.

I remember a few forum topics about modifying the web config in 3.7 with urlmappings or something to that effect.  Just wondering if theres been any specific work done in 4.0 when it comes to handling or mapping subdomain addresses to specific pages.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2010 00:00

on this note... it seems as though domain page mappings don't work the same in 4.0 as they do in 3.x

i've only recently installed 4.0, and i'm just playing around with it now, trying to proof of concept a few things.

this subdomain model is one of the things thats absolutely necessary, can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation or article about how these features work in 4.0?

just to be clear, what i want to do it have multiple subdomains point to the same sitefinity instance-
sub1.mysite.com
sub2.mysite.com
sub3.mysite.com

and have sitefinity display a different set of pages based on those subdomains.  as far as i know, the best way this was accomplished in previous versions was to map a page to a role, and have a set of users associated to that role.
this setup works fine conceptually... i just don't know how to implement it in 4.0 beta 2.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2010 00:00

I'm interested in this as well; any update on how subdomains will be handled in 4.0?

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Oct-2010 00:00

Hello Alison,

In BETA 2 there is no option to use multiple domains/subdomains with a single instance and this is why we have not covered this functionality with documentation. We will support similar functionality in the official release, but the content will be accessible based on user roles and permissions.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Oct-2010 00:00

Thanks very much for the reply!

We were hoping to have multiple subdomains supported on a single instance using 4.0, so any additional information that you have on this would be great (even if it is preliminary). Any idea of whether this would be included in the upcoming RC? 

Also, we've been planning to have a domain structure something like this:

subdomain1.domain.com
subdomain2.domain.com

Will this still be possible in 4.0?

Thanks again!
Alison

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello Alison,

We will have a policy - "domain" policy that you will be able to use to separate the SiteMap for your domains/subdomains. The content will be shared, so you have to use role and user permissions if you want to show/hide it. We decided to postpone the multiple domain support for the RC and we will have it for the official release.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Ivan,

We heard several times on the RC webinar that subdomain support would be included in the RC. Can you confirm for us?

Thanks,
Alison

How will this effect those of us who already have several sub domains in place on 3.7 and are possibly upgrading to 4.0?

Hello bleutiger,

Th license for Sitefinity 4.0 is valid per domain - its subdomains and child applications of the same domain. It is better to contact our sales department for sales related questions - prices, licenses, discounts etc.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Huh?!?!?

Sitefinity 4.0 is suposed to support unlimited SUB domains just like its predescessors.  Are you saying this is no longer true?

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Nov-2010 00:00

so i am playing with the RC and I noticed int he advanced settings, a place to specify DomainUrlLocalization rules.

however wheni create one and click 'save'... it looks like the page refreshes, and the setting isn't saved.

Does this work?
Or is it working properly and i'm just not supposed to see anything on the page after i click save?

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for reporting this.

It seems that there is a problem with the confirmation message appearing. I have tested setting those both from Advanced mode and from Basic. Those setting are tested and should be working in the latest release of the Sitefinity RC (build 910). Can you verify this using the latest release?

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello Ivan,

Any chance for some more details over the "domain" policy or how to configure multiple sitemaps.
Is there any implementation included in the RC API? Or any ideas how this can be achieved using the RC version.

I need to cover a scenario with mutliple domains where each domain is pointing to a separate sitemap. Every sitemap may contain more than one language version.

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello nikola,

This functionality will be supported after the official release.

Greetings,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jan-2011 00:00

Dear Nikola,

We have the official release of Sitefinity 4.0 but I can't find anything about mulitple subdomains/sitemaps.

Am I looking at the wrong place maybe?

Kind regards,
Hugo Coppen

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jan-2011 00:00

@ H.J.E. Coppen

Kalina wrote AFTER the official release not WITH the official release.

Just wait for the roadmap to appear and we know about when to expect which feature.

SF 4.0 will take a huge step in the next 6 month so stick around.

Markus

@ Markus

Ok, we will see when it will be expected. Do you know anything about the configuration of 4.0 for using 2 websites but sharing the same database? So we can make 2 different sites but share the users database by example.

Kind Regards,
Hugo Coppen

Hi H.J.E.,

Please take a look at this post.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed