General questions about V4

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 13:20

General questions about V4

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi all,

I have a few questions about V4 that you can hopefully answer for me.

1) Is there a date planned for final release yet?

I am due to start another CMS project in November and want to use the lastest version, for the reasons documented in points 3 - 5.

2) Is there a pricing model in place?

The answer to this will obviously affect whether my client wants to go ahead with SiteFinity.

3) Is it possible to swap out RadEditor for another WYSIWYG editor?

The RadEditor has been a HUGE problem for me. Whilst it's as easy to use as any other WYSIWYG editor if you understand HTML, my previous two clients do not. Unfortunately the RadEditor often creates invalid HTML, and produces different results across browsers. I have seen this documented in the forums time and time again. For my previous two clients I now operate as a Content Approver, giving me the chance to check the HTML before it is published - but that is not a solution. I realise there is already a solution i.e. go through every single SiteFinity control and replace it, but that also means overriding the code - which is a HUGE task.

4) Will the URLRewrite be extended to support 301's/302's etc?

I have not found any way of implementing 301's/302's, only redirects which are a completely different thing. To get this to work I have had to also implement IIS Rewrite module which means every request is going through at least 2 isapi's before sitefinity serves the content - definitely a perfomance cost.

5) Will it be possible to easily remove items from the toolbox, i.e. Video / Document list

On several occasions my client has dragged in the "Document list" control rather than the specific document list control I have developed. Another example is dragging in the sitefinity video player - which we dont use. I've implemented Longtails video player. I think its awesome that these controls have been developed for us out of the box so to speak, but I dont use them, and not being able to remove them is a problem.

Thanks in advance - look forward to your response.

higgsy

I think I know the answers to a couple...

2) No announcement yet, HOWEVER if they buy it now you'll get the upgrade at no extra cost...so BUY NOW!
3) I have had the same issues you have, and there's a thread or two going on this here...I have been assured as of the next official release the inconsistencies SHOULD be fixed...I know as of the last telerik release most have been resolved.
5) You should be able to kill toolbox items from the web.configs toolbox node?

Hi Steve,

Thanks alot for your responses.

2) The reason i am particularly interested in the price is that it could well be that the price revision makes sitefinity no longer a viable option - it would be a great shame as we have invested in Sitefinity as our chosen CMS for our clients, but if it becomes expensive it may not be viable. Ok for the next project, because I can get the upgrade for free, but the one after that....who knows?

3) Im not so sure about this, demo's on Telerik's own website are not only inconsistent, but invalid html in places. Or at best messy html that it likely to throw some css rules off.

5) Not sure how you can do this from the web.config, perhaps my examples werent the best. The Download List does not appear in the web.config file. Perhaps it is possible to do <remove name="Download List" /> - ill try and report back.

Thanks again
higgsy

If you can find issues with the editor, PLEASE make them public here
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/radeditor-has-issues-when-i.aspx

It'll benefit everyone in the long run

Might also help to JING the bad results so telerik can see the problems happening....I just don't ever see the RadEditor being replaceable, but I do totally feel your pain with it.  We also have to have an "Approver" to validate the page html.

I absolutely will - believe me replacing RadEditor is the last thing I WANT to do, so if sharing the bugs helps then great. In a way you could say that the heart of a content management system is the WYSIWYG, if the non technical author cant enter content without it messing up the valid code, or css, then the rest will fall down. I would find it extremely worrying if there were no plans to easily allow alternative WYSIWYG's - I've not worked with many commerical CMS' that don't provide this functionality - although granted they didnt have ties to a particular one!

I'm trying to remove the editors "html mode" as much as possible with my 4.0 implementation....just use the RadEditor for basic text input then use the new layout controls to facilitate the html "container"

So far it's worked pretty well...for the non-technical people anyway

Hello all,

I just want to mention that Steve is correct on his points. We are trying to improve the behavior of the RadEditor as much as we can so your feedback is valuable.

Princing information will be release officially with the Sitefinity 4.0 RC release, which is expected within couple of months.

On the note for 301/302 redirects. Sitefinity 3.x has a UrlRewrite module which is capable of doing rewrites, and 301/302 redirects. More information can be found here. For each rewrite rule you create you can set the mode:
<rule mode="PermanentRedirect">
</rule>

The modes are PermanentRedirect, TemporaryRedirect, and Rewrite. The default one is Rewrite.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Radoslav, That's very useful information to know regarding the rewriter. Are you able to answer point 5, whether it is possible to remove some of the built-in controls from the toolbox, in particular the download list and video player. Thanks Al

Hi Alastair,

Both the controls are added by LibrariesModule - InitializeToolbox method. This means that you cannot remove the controls only. You have to disable the entire module to disable the built-in controls.
We are going to implement remove option in XmlConfigProvider which will allow you to remove controls from ToolboxesConfig.config

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed