Error after site build

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 01:04

Error after site build

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Oct-2010 00:00

I built a blank site in Sitefinity 4.0 beta 2 and didn't add anything to it, compiled it, and published it. When I try to open it in a browser, I get the following error...

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Analytics.Server.DependencyResolution' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

any ideas on what could be causing this?

Oh...forgot to add that I can open the non-compiled website without any issues...it's only after I compile and publish it that I get that error. Thanks.

Hello Philip,

1. Check whether you have Telerik.Sitefinity.Analytics assemblies in your bin.
2. Before you build or rebuild the project you should add reference to all dlls in your bin otherwise the dlls could be automatically deleted.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks Ivan...

I followed your instructions and everything compiled and published fine and now when I go to the site, I get the Under Construction message (even though there is a home page). When I attempt to go to the Sitefinity folder, instead of launching the admin, it takes me to the setup page and asks for the database.

Have I missed something so that the published site retains the database setup? It seems to think that there isn't a database. If I put in the database information, I get an error page saying:

You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.

The database is still there though.

Hi Philip,

Could you try to set a new database for the project ? Note that this will remove the content data, but your controls will remain into the project, so you can reuse them.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I created a blank SQL Server database and entered the name on the Startup page, but I got the same error...so I started looking at the user identity. I had IIS and SQL Server setup on LocalSystem. I changed both to NetworkService and was able to connect to the new database I created.

I'm going to try to republish everything and connect to the existing database to see what happens.

Nope...it works if I connect to a blank database, but it won't retain my existing one.

After the new one is created and I get into Administration, I'm getting the "The resource cannot be found." error when I go to Pages. I think I've seen this error before and it had to do with adding a handler that was missing. I'll look around for this one.

So...just to be clear so that I know. When I publish my site, am I always going to need to connect it to a blank database afterward? I just want to make sure so that I don't add any content or other tables to the development one since they'll have to be recreated. Thanks!

Well...I tried adding the missing handler per this thread:

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/error-with-iis7-and-sitefinity-configuration.aspx

and now I'm getting this error on the page:

Could not load type 'System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpHandler, System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.

So I'm thinking that's not the solution anymore...any ideas?

Hi Philip,

You could check this discussion at MSDN.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Getting discouraged here...

I read that article and tried both solutions they suggested. I re-registered asp.net in both the Framework and Framework64 folders for both .NET 4 and .NET 2. This didn't resolve the issue.

Next, I followed the other solution at the bottom since I had installed .NET 4 using the Web Platform Installer. I did a complete repair on .NET Framework 4. This didn't resolve the issue either.

I'm not sure why this only appears on the compiled/published version and not on the version that's not compiled. Also, my non-compiled application doesn't have the WcfHandler mapping and it works fine.

Would you possibly have any other suggestions for me? Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi Philip Senechal,

Sitefinity Beta 2 is running .NET 4.0 so the website you are publishing to needs to be running .NET 4.0. Also Sitefinity stores all its configuration data on ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration - this folder contains a file callded DataConfig.xml which stores the connection string to your database. Make sure that when you are publishing/precompiling the website no content from the App_Data folder is missed out. Before you precompile make sure that the Refferences of your web application contain all dlls from the bin folder. If all binaries are not added as a reference when the web application is built those that are not added as reference will be deleted by VS.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2010 00:00

I made sure that every file in the bin folder had a reference and everything is setup for .NET 4, but I still get the same error...even when publishing a completely empty Sitefinity project.

Perhaps this is the issue...

If I create a brand new Project with Sitefinity and then open it in Visual Studio, then look under App_Data/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/DefaultTemplate/ControlTemplates, there are several files and folders with files with the little caution sign next to them. If I go look at the actual file structure with Windows Explorer, those files are not present in the file system.

Same thing with the DefaultTheme folder...I don't have a Layout.css or Reset.css file in the file system, but they are listed in Visual Studio.

Is there something wrong with the way my projects are being created so that when they are published, they don't work? It still seems a little strange that the uncompiled version works fine.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Philip Senechal,

Thank you for getting back to us.

The missing files in App_Data/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/DefaultTemplate/ControlTemplates appear in the project because we have changed how we distribute the control templates - with the SDK. It appears that those control templates are not cleared from the project file. You can manually delete the files that appear as missing.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Radoslav,

Thanks for the information on that. Perhaps I should approach this from a different aspect since I must be missing something when I'm publishing the site.

Can you take me through the process step by step of how you would build an empty Sitefinity project on the file system, opening it in Visual Studio 2010, any changes you would make (without adding any new content), and then publishing to a local folder that is already configured in IIS as a web application.

Here are my steps...
1. Launch the Sitefinity Project Manager and create a new project on the file system.
2. Once it's created, click Edit in Visual Studio.
3. Once it's open in Visual Studio, add a reference to ALL .dll's in the bin directory of the project.
4. Delete the files in Visual Studio under Default Template.
5. Verify that the project is built as a .NET 4 project.
6. Publish the website through Visual Studio using the publish method File System and pointing to the folder I have created as a web application under IIS. Please note that I have copied my uncompiled files to this folder previously to make sure it works and everything works perfectly...so the folder should be good to go with IIS.
7. Once the site is published, I go through the initial setup and create a new database and admin user.
8. Login to the admin site with the admin credentials and click on Pages.

This is where I get the "The resource cannot be found." error. And this happens pretty much everywhere in the backend administration.

If these are not the steps you would take to test publish an empty Sitefinity project, can you let me know what you would do so that I can try it and see if I can get it to work?

Again, your help is always appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Nov-2010 00:00

I think I've got this figured out, I just need to check a couple of things with you...

After comparing my development folder and the published folder, I noticed that the Sitefinity folder was completely missing from the published site. If I copy this over to the published folder, the back-end administration starts working. When I looked in VS2010, I noticed that the Sitefinity folder is not "Included" in the project by default. Should it be "Included" in order for everything to publish correctly? Are there any other files/folders (such as App_Data/Sitefinity/Config) which should also be "Included" in the project?

It also appears that VS2010 doesn't have a pre-compile option. I used the aspnet_compiler.exe application to compile it and everything appeared to work okay when I did that. Is there anything I need to be aware of using aspnet_compiler.exe with Sitefinity 4 or am I okay compiling the project?

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Philip Senechal,

The Sitefinity folder not being included in the solution is a problem with the build script for the StiefinityWebApp project which we should fix. Visual Studio 2010 does not have precompile but it has the Publish option which acts the same way. You should be OK compiling using aspnet_compiler.exe.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed