Skin the Navigation widget

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 12:54

Skin the Navigation widget

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Oct-2010 00:00

Hi.
Enjoying the Sitefinity Beta2 release
I struggle hard to make my custom skin working on the RadTabStip control used in site naviagation, and I hope
you can give me some advice on how to do it right.

What I've done is the following:
A skin file called RadTabStrip.skin is created in my theme folder (~/App_Data/Sitefinity/WebsiteTemplates/DefaultTemplate/App_Themes/ForestTheme).
My custom theme folder starts from the EmptyTemplatePackage.zip of the SDK.

RadTabStrip.skin:

<%@ Register TagPrefix="telerik" Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" %>
<telerik:RadTabStrip 
runat="server" 
Skin="Forrest"
EnableEmbeddedSkins="false"
</telerik:RadTabStrip>

The skin file name should be irrelevant, AFIK (?).
A directory called "Forrest" (after the skin name) is then created in the theme folder, containing the CSS file "styles.css" and the images used for the styling. As you see from
the included CSS below I've borrowed the built-in RadTabStrip Forest skin and just replaced "_Forest" with "_Forrest"

styles.css:

.RadTabStrip_Forrest .rtsLI,
.RadTabStrip_Forrest .rtsLink
    color: #000;
    font: 12px/26px "Segoe UI", Arial, sans-serif;

/* <disabled tabs> */
.RadTabStrip_Forrest .rtsDisabled
    color: #666;
/* </disabled tabs> */

/* <scrolling arrows> */
.RadTabStrip_Forrest .rtsNextArrow,
.RadTabStrip_Forrest .rtsPrevArrow,
.RadTabStrip_Forrest .rtsPrevArrowDisabled,
.RadTabStrip_Forrest .rtsNextArrowDisabled
    background-image: url('TabStripStates.png');
/* </scrolling arrows> */

/* <tab backgrounds> */

.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel background: #fff;

.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 background-color: transparent;

.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel .rtsLink,
.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel .rtsOut background-image: none;

.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsLink,
.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsOut,
.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsLink,
.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsOut,
.RadTabStripTop_Forrest_Baseline .rtsLevel1,
.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest_Baseline .rtsLevel1 background-image: url('TabStripStates.png');

.RadTabStripLeft_Forrest .rtsLink,
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsLink background-image: url('TabStripVStates.png');

.RadTabStripLeft_Forrest .rtsLast .rtsLink,
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsLast .rtsLink
    border-bottom: 1px solid #898C95;

.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsLink,
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsLI .rtsDisabled:hover background-position: 100% 0;
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsLink:hover background-position: 100% -200px;
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsSelected,
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsSelected:hover background-position: 100% -400px;
/* </tab backgrounds> */

/* <background positioning: tabs with hovers> */

/* <orientation: top> */

.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsLink background-position: 0 0;
.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsOut background-position: 100% 0;

.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsLink:hover background-position: 0 -52px;
.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsLink:hover .rtsOut background-position: 100% -52px;

.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsSelected,
.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsSelected:hover background-position: 0 -26px;
.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsSelected .rtsOut,
.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsSelected:hover .rtsOut background-position: 100% -26px;

.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsDisabled:hover background-position: 0 0;
.RadTabStripTop_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsDisabled:hover .rtsOut background-position: 100% 0;

.RadTabStripTop_Forrest_Baseline .rtsLevel1 background-position: 0 100%; background-repeat: repeat-x;

/* </orientation: top> */

/* <orientation: bottom> */

.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsLink background-position: 0 -182px;
.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsOut background-position: 100% -182px;

.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsLink:hover background-position: 0 -130px;
.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsLink:hover .rtsOut background-position: 100% -130px;

.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsSelected,
.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsSelected:hover background-position: 0 -156px;
.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsSelected .rtsOut,
.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsSelected:hover .rtsOut background-position: 100% -156px;

.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsDisabled:hover background-position: 0 -182px;
.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest .rtsLevel1 .rtsDisabled:hover .rtsOut background-position: 100% -182px;

.RadTabStripBottom_Forrest_Baseline .rtsLevel1 background-position: 0 -599px; background-repeat: repeat-x;

/* </orientation: bottom> */

/* <orientation: right> */

.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsUL .rtsLink,
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsUL .rtsLI .rtsDisabled:hover background-position: 100% 0; text-align: left;
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsUL .rtsLink:hover background-position: 100% -200px;
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsUL .rtsSelected,
.RadTabStripRight_Forrest .rtsUL .rtsSelected:hover background-position: 100% -400px;

/* </orientation: right> */

/* </background positioning: tabs with hovers> */

Choosing one of the default Sitfinity templates in the administration view, my custom theme is selected from the drop-down list, and the Navigation widget is included at the top of the template.
All look fine except for the navigation tab appearence which picks up the built-in "Sitefinity" skin by default, therefore ignoring the RadTabStrip.skin.
Switching between the build-in skins is no problem from inside the Naviation configurator (Wrapper CSS class parameter), but never do I get my own "Forrest" skin to work.

What am i doing wrong here :-(
Thanks,
Torbjorn

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2010 00:00

Hello Torbjorn,

Thank you for using our services.

Unfortunately the Navigation control does not support skin file yet. You can use the wrapper css class property for now. We do support the skin file for other controls - RadControls (not used in the Navigation control) as well as ASP.NET controls which have skins support.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Radoslav,

Could you point in any direction on how to use the wrapper css class property on the Navigation? I am a bit lost here.

Best regards,
Jesper

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi again Radoslav,

Forget a bit of my previous post, I have found out how to CSS some of the topnavigation. But how do I get rid of that annoying background image on the selected item (the grey one that looks like a talking bubble).

Jesper

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Torbjorn,

To get rid of the default styles (the gray talking bubble) you should use Wrapper CSS class property. I am attaching a short scheme that explains its behavior.

Kind regards,
Jordan
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2011 00:00

Where can we find a list of existing, or built-in skins?

Regards,
Jacques

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi J.Hoventer, 

They are the same as these used in the ASP.NET Ajax control:

http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/menu/examples/default/defaultcs.aspx

• Black
  • Sitefinity
  • Forest
  • Hay
  • Office2007
  • Office2010Black
  • Office2010Blue
  • Office2010Silver
  • Outlook
  • Simple
  • Sunset
  • Telerik
  • Transparent
  • Vista
  • Web20
  • WebBlue
  • Windows7

You should put these names in the Wrapper CSS class (Skin) in the control designer for the navigation. 

Greetings,
Jordan
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi, this works fine but takes only top menu. I want to get specific menu names. 
I have selected  "Custom Selection of Pages" from Navigation properties but nothing changes.
If I am not wrong I have to bind these menus manually. Do you have any suggestion to bind specific menus to navigation widget?
Thanks. 

Levent KAYA

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.NavigationControls"
    TagPrefix="sfMap" %>
<sfMap:SitefinitySiteMapDataSource runat="server" ID="SitefinitySiteMapDS" ShowStartingNode="false" />
<telerik:RadTabStrip ID="RadPanelbarNav" runat="server" Visible="false" />
<asp:Repeater ID="Repeater1" runat="server" DataSourceID="SitefinitySiteMapDS">
    <HeaderTemplate>
        <ul class="nav-holder">
    </HeaderTemplate>
    <ItemTemplate>
        <li><a id="A1" href='<%# Eval("Url") %>' runat='server'>
            <h3>
                <%#Eval ("Title"%></h3>
        </a></li>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <FooterTemplate>
        </ul>
    </FooterTemplate>
</asp:Repeater>

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Levent,

Can you please let us know which navigation mode you have selected for the navigation control?

Kind regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi,
I attached 2 files. one of them is about mode selection. and the other one is the result.
after that I have added a cs file for getting menus but I dont know how to do that.

I pasted a code that takes only "show in navigation". I need to get only "custom selection page" in the navigation control.

Thanks.

using System; 
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages;
using Telerik.Sitefinity;

public
 partial class UserControls_TopNavigation : System.Web.UI.UserControl

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)     

Repeater1.ItemDataBound += new RepeaterItemEventHandler(Repeater1_ItemDataBound);   
      Repeater1.DataBind();     

protected void Repeater1_ItemDataBound(object sender, RepeaterItemEventArgs e)     

if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item)  

var data = e.Item.DataItem as PageSiteNode;            
            var pageManager = PageManager.GetManager();          
           // var fluent = App.WorkWith().Pages().ThatArePublished().ThatArePublishedForAllTranslations().
            if (data != null)             

if (data.ShowInNavigation == false)                 

e.Item.Visible = false;   

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Levent,

The mode that you have selected needs to work with a RadTabStrip and not a repeater. Please take a look at the bellow sample template which binds to the tab strip and adds serverside logic for subscribing to the item data bound event:

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="NavigationTemplate.ascx.cs"
    Inherits="SitefinityWebApp.NavigationTemplate" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.NavigationControls.SiteMapNavigations"
    TagPrefix="navcontrols" %>
    <script runat="server" type="text/C#">
        protected void Page_Load()

this.siteMapControl_horizontalsimple.TabDataBound += new Telerik.Web.UI.RadTabStripEventHandler(siteMapControl_horizontalsimple_TabDataBound);

void siteMapControl_horizontalsimple_TabDataBound(object sender, Telerik.Web.UI.RadTabStripEventArgs e)

//custom logic

</script>
<navcontrols:SiteMapNavigationTabStrip ID="siteMapControl_horizontalsimple" runat="server"
    Skin="Sitefinity">
</navcontrols:SiteMapNavigationTabStrip>

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed