Localization

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 10:13

Localization

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi,

I'm trying-out Sitefinity 4.0 Beta 2 and I'd like to localize the content of one of my custom user control (.ascx).
Obviously, I could do that using standard ASP.NET localization mechanism, however I'd like to know if I could benefit somehow from Sitefinity to do that.
If so CMS users would have a single entry point for all text resources including custom user controls text which would be great!

Best regards,
Carl

Ok I got it :)

First you need to add in the administration site the cultures you want to support (Administration > Settings > Resources > Cultures).

Then, in the labels & messages (Administration > Interface Labels & Messages) you can create new localized messages in each culture you defined previously.

When creating a new label at the very bottom of the form you can specify a Type and a Key.
In fact, the Type corresponds to the ASP.NET resource class in which you want your resource to be added into.
Therefore, the Type concept is the Sitefinity equivalent of the ClassKey property in Visual Studio ASP.NET Designer.
For instance, I created a label the type set as Labels, and of the CreateYourAccount key.

Consequently, in my hand-made user control I can use my newly created label through an expression such as:
<asp:Literal runat="server" Text="<%$ Resources:Labels, CreateYourAccount %>"/>

In the end it all works great and it's thanks to the default web.config provided in Sitefinity Web Application projects, as it is already configured to use Sitefinity resources:
<globalization uiCulture="auto" culture="auto" resourceProviderFactoryType="Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.ExtendedResourceProviderFactory, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>

Hope this helps,
Carl

Hi,

I'd like to localize a standard page, however, unlike Sitefinity 3.x, I don't see a top right dropdown list with all available cultures of my site, nor a place to specify the PersistenceMode and so on.
Is it because the localization feature isn't released yet in Sitefinity 4.0 beta 2 or is it because it's not handled this way anymore?

Regards,
Carl

Hello Carl,

Localization feature will be available in RC. Sitefinity BETA2 does not support pages localization.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed