Single Generic Content item widget

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 01:21

Single Generic Content item widget

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi,

Is it possible to configure the standard Generic Content List widget to display a single generic content item in detail view?  Or would I have to create my own widget for this?

Alternatively, I'm trying to create some content (a list) that can be added to any page, but updated centrally.  A generic content item seemed perfect for this, but if there's a better idea please let me know.

Thanks,
Neil.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello Neil,

There is a way to do this, but you should override CreateChildControls method of ContentView control.

protected override void CreateChildControls()

this.Controls.Clear();
        ResolveDetailItem();
        var currentView = this.DetermineCurrentViewName();
        var manager = NewsManager.GetManager();
        var itm = manager.GetItem(typeof(NewsItem), new Guid("a2f41c08-2d37-45db-8a9d-bbfdb5076dce"));
        var c = itm as IContent;
        this.DetailItem = c;
        this.LoadView(currentView);

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2010 00:00

Where do you put this code?

Hi Damian,

Create a custom class library and inherit from ContentView. Then you need to register the control from Sitefinity >>Administration >>Settings >> Toolboxes

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks! That worked.

A follow up question: Is there a way to let the admin users pick a generic content to display in this control without hardcoding a guid in the control itself?  Maybe have a generic content picker or let users find out the guid of their generic content and paste it into some kind of property on this widget?

Hi Damian,

You can expose a public property of your custom control or some kind of ControlDesigner.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Thanks again! The public property works great. 

Is there any way to hide the inherited properties like AccessKey, BackColor, etc so that admin users wouldn't care about when editing a widget?

Hi Damian,

Override the properties and add [Browsable(false)]  attribute to them.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Perfect.  Thanks so much!

Hi Damian,

I never got round to solving this myself - any chance you can share the source for your widget?

Cheers,
Neil.

My code looks something like this:

01.using System;
02.using System.Collections.Generic;
03.using System.Linq;
05.namespace SitefinityWebApp.Classes
07.    public class GenericContentItem : System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeControl, Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ICustomWidgetVisualization
09.        public string ContentTitle get; set;
11.        protected override void CreateChildControls()
13.            if (ContentTitle == null)
14.                return;
16.            var manager = new Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.GenericContent.ContentManager();
17.            var content = manager.GetContent().ToList().FirstOrDefault(item => item.Title.Value.ToLower() == this.ContentTitle.ToLower());
19.            if (content != null)
20.                this.Controls.Add(new System.Web.UI.LiteralControl(content.Content.Value));
23.        #region ICustomWidgetVisualization Members
24.        string Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ICustomWidgetVisualization.EmptyLinkText get return string.Empty;
25.        bool Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ICustomWidgetVisualization.IsEmpty get return false;
26.        #endregion

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Telerik,

so longer I work with Sitefinity 4, I can not shake the feeling that this is an unfinished version. How do I explain my customer that they can not work with this version because some things like generic content not work as that are accustomed from version 3.7 where they were right? The customer does not need a list of generic content, but a simple sharing of a single generic content items. Customer paid for a product that is not functioning as it should be and was before and now have to pay the work that I do make it working as before? Really frustrated! This way I can forget about the other contracts !!!

Greatings,

Pavol Kokinda

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello Pavol,

Shared content will be available for Q1 release. Please check our roadmap to see all other new features that we will have.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed