Sitefinity 4.0 Pricing WAY TOO HIGH

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:56

Sitefinity 4.0 Pricing WAY TOO HIGH

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Nov-2010 00:00

HI,

I just went to your new 4.0 Pricing Page and am blown away by how expensive you are making it
http://www.sitefinity.com/purchase/license-comparison.aspx

I really like that you have a version for $499 (although for what you get, even that seems a bit high), but I have lots of sites that are 80-125 pages and would have to pay TWO THOUSAND dollars for a licence.  There's no way that will fly with my clients, many of whom are non-profits with tight budgets (especially in this economy)!

The other problem is you don't have any developer pricing where we get discounts if we have all our clients on your product.  There should, as I suggested a while ago in a ticket, be a model where we can buy a developer license and then be able to buy domain licenses at a substantial discount.  Below is the email i sent (based on your $899 pricing model).

Since we have been using Sitefinity for a couple of years we actually have very little in the way of support requirements and when we do have a question that you answer, we can apply that knowledge or fix to all our clients, saving you time and money.

This is the reason to have a developer license, but I understand that when you have a developer license you don't get paid per domain, just per developer.  Might I suggest that with your 4.x model you implement something in between your old and your new model that would work for people like us.

I'm thinking of some sort of a developer license that is a per-year fee (maybe similar to your old model of $1,250 to buy and half that to renew each year) and then a much reduced fee per license.  That way you can keep your per top-level domain licensing but also not lose your shirt on the support.

Let's say that you offered 60% off each domain and support had to go through the developer then a developer would need to buy at least 3 domains before they were saving any money ( (1250+360+360+360)/3) = $777 per domain.  This would, however, make your developers very happy, if they are looking to move more clients to your platform.

If a client wanted to move away and take their licence and no longer be under me as the developer, they would need to purchase the difference in the support & upgrades contract from you directly.  Otherwise they would be on their own.

Now that you are charging at least $2,000 for anyone who wants a real site using Sitefinity,  the above model might need to be changed.  I don't see how I can possibly stay with Telerik & Sitefinity if these are really the prices and I hope you reconsider your pricing model!

Thanks

Ben Alexandra
(Longtime Sitefinity & Telerik User)

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Nov-2010 00:00

Wow, I couldn't agree more!! Telerik/Sitefinity has just lost a very loyal customer.

The ideal usage and target client for me requires the Standard license (unlimited pages being the key) but for $2,000 there's no way in hell my clients would pay that nor would I ever recommend that to a client. 

I know a developer has to make their money back on time spent developing, so the best of luck to you Telerik, but you won't be getting my $ anymore unless there is a serious change to your pricing model.

Disappointed to have waited over a year for SF4 only to find out it's been priced out of my range...

So, any recommendations on competitive products that don't break the bank? Umbraco? 

Bye bye...
Phill

Thanks for the reply, Phill.  Well put.  We all love Sitefinity's product and 4.0 looks great, but they are way off on their pricing.  Let's hope they reconsider.  Otherwise yes, I am looking at Umbraco and other free or much cheaper ASP.NET alternatives.

Good luck!

Ben

As a long time user of Sitefinity I was pretty dissapointed after the Webinar today. I was mostly interested in pricing. When I work on larger projects I often ask my clients to get a license to RadControls for any other developers on the project.

My anticipation was that there would be some (reasonably priced) model for those of us that do many sites. A server license or another type of developer license.

This model really pushes the pricing up for any reasonable site from 899 to 2000 and for a busines that will have 6 or 7 people adding content on it during a given day, it's now pushed up to 8000! Dissapointing.

I would, at minimum, prefer to see the idea of 'concurrent users' and 'limited pages' removed. I can see features, like the forms builder, or workflow left out of the lower priced editions, but page limits?

Just downloaded a copy of Umbraco and will be checking that out today. It's a shame to see that Kentico is now a better deal price-wise than Sitefinity.

Nolonger supports Sitefinity or Telerik

The cost of the tools per seat are too expensive too. It was okay with a fair priced cms but this is ridiculous. 

My excitement about SF has turned to sh@%!

I couldn't agree more. Sitefinity has got this pricing absolutely wrong. Even after lets say if one pays $2000 there is a restriction like 5 concurrent users. Just does not make sense. We have clients where in there are different people managing different stuff and they all just keep signed in all day. Sitefinity needs to rethink their pricing or else they are loosing one more valuable customer and many more future projects.

How can we even propose to customers to upgrade current sitefinity projects to 4.0 by paying more and get restrictions like concurrent admin users etc which they are not use to as such restrictions are not there in current version of 3.7. My company has already started discussions of positioning other cms for future prospects. I am really disappointed. I loved sitefinity and want it to be very successful. SITEFINITY RETHINK PRICING STRUCTURE.

I agree, Raj et. al with what you are saying.  I would like to reassure Sitefinity, though, that we all love your product and I am pretty sure we ALL want to stay with you so please don't take these comments the wrong way in regards to the product.  This is strictly us being realistic about what we can pay and what our clients can pay.  To go from a product that costs $900 in version 3.7 for the full package to one that costs $20,000 for the full version in 4.0 is just crazy!!!  I know you've redesigned it all and added new features but that's a 22X increase overnight!  This might be great for your new customers who are looking for a "high-end" (aka expensive) CMS and you are positioning yourself in that arena, but you are going to alienate your ENTIRE existing user base that you have worked so hard to cultivate over the past 5+ years.

Please reconsider!

Thanks

Ben

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Nov-2010 00:00

I think you guys are way off, read Vassils responses in the other post, you are getting a TON of things for the $2000 price tag.  You only need to go $8000 premium if you need advanced workflow, and I really doubt almost anyone but the corporate of corporates needs the source code for the $20,000.

I initially had sticker shock as well, but sitting back and really thinking about it, the SBE fits all my needs for a small business project.  I'm just holding out hope that they give 2 concurrent users on that license...so following that I can sell 4.0 to clients at almost 1/2 the price I do now.  If I'm going for a larger client then that I think I can sell them on standard just by showing them the page editor which blows away anything on the market right now.

5 Concurrent users means 5 people editing pages, not 5 logged in site users...I can see that being fine in a standard edition...UNLESS the page editing is so cool more people want to play with it.

This will kill our company

We have been walking around talking about how great Telerik was for the last 18 months. How are we going to explain this doubling in price to our clients when we were talking about a $1000 for the best version last month? Please take off the 8,000 and 20,000 dollar versions and replace it with a call for enquiry.  The perception is now that they pay twice as much and get a version that is missing good stuff. 

...but what are you missing with standard?

Windows Workflow 4 and 5 more concurrent backend page editing users?...literally that's all...if you consider the base to be the $8000 premium, then the $2000 is a bargain.

Do you NEED to pay $8,000 or $20,000?

I know $1000 is a substantial amount of money on a personal level; however, for a business to throw their hands in the air for this seems unreasonable. If all someone looks at is the price and wants the most expensive because for some reason they think they may need everything in it someday, then it now becomes a sales job to explain that they don't. Futhermore in alot of cases there is a good chance a verison that is actually cheaper and has considerable new features may work. Personally, I don't want to have to enquire. I just want to know what the price is.

Seems to me Telerik's target audience has changed. Simple as that.
The new pricing policy aims at larger software houses and larger corporations.
For us mortal beings a $2,000 or $5,000 price tags translate into $20,000 to $50,000 projects we would have to try selling to potential clients. How many companies are likely to buy that?
If I were to dump my old Volvo and go buy a new one, I'm sure I'd have a price range in mind based on what I paid a few years back. If then I'd learn that price range could buy me only a two-seater with a 10,000 mile annual limit, I'd understand that the Volvo company has other customers in mind.
These are marketing decisions.
We now have to deal with it.

I agree I have just quoted 4 customers on Sitefinity which to be honest I am going to have to reconsider. We already apply a rule that budget sites below a certain cost we use Wordpress for and that price band has now changed!

Ridiculous!

Are the Radcontrols going to go the same way.

I have developed numerous sites with sitefinity.  I mostly deal with small businesses with a small budget.  My clients don't usually have more than 100 pages in the sites.  I guess telerik isn't targeting this segment at all.

I have built several sitefinity standard for the clients who can afford it (and they have renewed for a couple of years already.), but there are also some small businesses and start-ups those cannot afford (or simply refuse) to pay more than $1,000 for a web project.

While I understand telerik is not a charity and sitefinity is better than the open source alternatives out there.  I am not asking you to provide the product for free, but would you consider an "express" edition that is $199 and requires the display of telerik's / sitefinity's logo? Many clients do not actually mind the logo that much.  You can keep the $499 small business edition for those companies who have slightly better budget.  For the clients who used the standard edition, I guess they will have to settle with the small business edition--they simply won't agree to pay $2,000 for a new license.  The renewal would probably cost more anyway.

With many good enough and free open source products out there, it is hard to recommend even the$499 small business edition, especially considering the restrictions it has.  I wish I can tell them that they can't get a decent CMS with a $1,000 budget, but there are actually many solution providers who can deliver a decent product at that price.  

Sitefinity has been the CMS of choice for me as a developer.  The UI is much simpler to use than many alternatives and I like how I can leverage my asp.net c# skills to create additional, customized modules for my clients.  I guess that means I will have to learn a few more open source products Drupal Joomla N2 Umbraco to stay competitive.

Hey everyone,

There is another very active thread on this topic that can be found here.  This thread also contains comments by Vassil (Telerik's CEO).

--

I've read through all of these posts and we're truly open to feedback.  However, it's hard for me to internally relay these "Sitefinity 4.0 is too expensive" comments.  We have too much research that shows otherwise.  Sitefinity at $2,000 is very competitive considering everything it includes.  You won't find commercial competitors who offer the features, polish & productivity advantages of Sitefinity at this price point.  

Furthermore, speaking to organizations with mature web site needs (unlimited pages, workflow, concurrent editors) it's hard for us to understand an organization that can't invest $2,000 in this important resource.  The feature set they require demonstrates a mature web site.  Creating a platform to support their mature needs involves effort & cost.  Attempting to address these requirements at $500 doesn't make economic sense.  

This being said, we wanted Sitefinity to be accessible to small businesses.  We had a lot of conversations about this.  We introduced an inexpensive edition of Sitefinity designed for small businesses.  As their web site and requirements mature they would naturally outgrow this light-weight edition of Sitefinity.  If they already have mature web site requirements, then $2,000 seems like a paltry sum to invest in their organization's infrastructure.

It's also worth noting that there are a lot of discounts currently available for migrating inexpensively to 4.0.  If you already have Sitefinity 3.x, then you're getting 4.0 standard for free.  For people who are selling many licenses of Sitefinity, we have a partner program available with even more discounts.  Email sales@sitefinity.com if you're interested.

--

So, from my perspective, it looks like 1 of 3 things is at play here. 

1.  These organizations don't really have mature web site needs and could utilize a lower-cost edition of Sitefinity.

2.  These organizations have mature web site needs but aren't placing any real value on this resource.

3.  Our extensive research is incorrect and we've misread the market.  

--

For #1, we can have private conversations to help explore the project's requirements (email sales@sitefinity.com). We want to help, but we need project details to create a solution.

For #2, we're not really interested in being involved in the project.  I've seen WordPress and a few other open source solutions tossed around.  Our goal isn't to compete with WordPress.  Or put differently, we have no desire to compete for customers who don't put any real value on what we do.  

And #3, we're listening, but we need use cases & proof.  We've already made some concessions based on your feedback.

--

I really appreciate the dialog.  Receiving specifics about your challenges enables us to help.  However, I'm trying to be transparent about our challenges as well.  Hopefully everyone will take this post in the spirit it was intended.

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2010 00:00

I missed the seminar but have been trying to catch up since then. I got ~25 Sitefinity installations running and while the majority of them haven't got more than 50 pages, just the mere fact that the small business version has a page limit makes it harder to sell (to our customers at least).

Somehow it seems easier to tell someone that "if you pay this much you also get these cool features" rather than "if you pay this much we'll let you make more than 50 pages". One is paying for an addition while the other one is paying for "removing a subtraction" if you get what I mean. Same thing with concurrent users, while I'm rather sure most of our customers would be fine with one concurrent cms user, the fact that there is a limit makes it harder to sell when you're competing with free solutions. 

More importantly though, I really don't understand the decision to only allow page-level permissions for small-business and standard versions. It's been one of the major weaknesses in previous versions of Sitefinity and I was looking forward to finally have this dealt with. I think I read in the other thread that it would be added to the standard version but I hope it will make it to small-business as well. I can barely believe the feature is missing in the old versions of Sitefinity, let alone the new one. Definately a deal breaker if there ever was one.

Andreas: I got ~25 Sitefinity installations running and while the majority of them haven't got more than 50 pages, just the mere fact that the small business version has a page limit makes it harder to sell (to our customers at least).

If the page limitation is a concern, then organizations can choose the Standard edition.  The SBE is deliberately designed to be outgrown as the web site matures.  This is a lot of discussion about this.

Andreas: The fact that there is a limit makes it harder to sell when you're competing with free solutions.

Our goal isn't to compete with free solutions.  That being said, I realize at some level it's bound to happen.  CMS's range in price from $0 to $300,000+.  Consequently, we'll inevitably get compared to an eclectic mix of products. It doesn't really matter though, the upfront cost of the CMS pales in comparison to the longterm productivity advantages (or disadvantages).  Put differently, people and lost productivity cost a lot more than the CMS.  If the CMS addresses the organization's challenges and enables them to be productive then price becomes a small part of a much larger equation.  For our purposes, we'll pick a fair price and make a case for the features & productivity advantages we offer.  

Andreas: More importantly though, I really don't understand the decision to only allow page-level permissions for small-business and standard versions. It's been one of the major weaknesses in previous versions of Sitefinity and I was looking forward to finally have this dealt with. I think I read in the other thread that it would be added to the standard version but I hope it will make it to small-business as well.

As you mentioned, there are indications that granular permissions might be added to the standard edition.  However, it almost certainly won't be added to SBE.  Why does a small business need granular permissions?  The SBE was designed for businesses that were previously using Community Edition for commercial purposes.   We wanted to provide a legitimate entry & growth path for small businesses with basic needs & small budgets.

The community helped us define the needs of a small business edition and we were very clear that this edition could not cannibalize sales of standard edition & up.  If an organization already requires unlimited pages & granular permissions then they have mature web site requirements.  A $2k investment seems minor for an important organization resource.

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

Hey Gabe, can you comment on the concurrent limit for users in the Backend Role please?  I swear I read somewhere that it only affected users trying to get into the backend...not users trying to log in anywhere.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2010 00:00

Limiting the number of concurrent users definitely is one of the drawbacks for my prospects.

For instance, we recently build a local intranet site using DNN that supports 800+ users, and 30 microsites altogether. Each of these microsites has one to three editors that can manage the content. In all, we have approximately 100 editors and our experience is that there could most likely be 20 editing at any one time. However, implementing DNN is a chore even though we purchased the professional edition (those who implemented it would most likely have the same sentiments as me). Therefore, we have earmarked SiteFinity as our main CMS provider for upcoming projects and it seems that with the new pricing, the standard edition will most likely fit the bill. But in the above case, we will need more than 10 concurrent access for editors.

My suggestion is that there could probably be a separate purchase for concurrent usage, maybe up to 2 times or 2.5 times more than the current limit, just to address this particular concern. In this way, you are providing the flexibility of the upgrade, without compromising the value for the particular edition.

Hope you can seriously consider the above option.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2010 00:00

As I said on the other thread, I believe that features and modules should be the things that separate versions.

You buy SBE, Standard, Pro, Enterprise, because it has FEATURES that your business can justify spending money on and obviously it's Telerik's task to work out what features are attractive and affordable for each market sector.

However, you should not be locked into buying a higher version just to obtain basic functionality such as Page count, User Count or Security.

Granular permissions should be a given for all commercial versions, but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to have add-on packs for User and Page counts, so you can extend the use of a version whose features you are otherwise satisfied with.

e.g. If I own an SBE vesion, I might be quite happy with not having Workflow, and have no interest in buy it... but I might well be interested in buying a 50-page add-on for another $xxx... and perhaps a 10 user add-on for $whatever... so that I can tailor the use of the feature set I bought, to suit my needs.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2010 00:00

I'm sure Telerik will defend it's new pricing scheme tooth and nail...it's to be expected. However, as a long time user of Sitefinity and other Telerik products, I cannot justify spending (whether on my dime or the company's) that amount on a product(s) that is traditionally very buggy and woefully (as well as admittedly)  incomplete in it's documentation. Yes, the support is great, but that is because they have so many opportunities to be great.

You guys can talk about value-per-dollar all you want, but the bottom line is you've priced it too high and decreased user productivity with a concurrent user restriction, and you will likely lose the majority of your strongest supporters. We just got done building our corporate intranet on SF 3.7. The very reason we chose SF over Sharepoint was it's price tag. Now it seems it will be worth it to pay the extra coin for SP 2010. Very unfortunate.

Hi Eric,

Well put.  I think the big sudden jump has turned a lot of people off. The other thing that is one of the big selling points for Sitefinity is that they have new features and therefore it costs more.  This is great, but I know that as a consumer I EXPECT new features with a new release but that doesn't mean I expect the price tag to jump up!

Take OS X, for example.  Every version they come out with has a ton of new features and the upgrades are great, but the price is always the same (except for the last upgrade which was only $30).  Same thing with MS Office.  New features every year or so, same price tag (although they've actually lowered their prices too recently, it seems, and released a home version for just over $100).

Most software packages are being improved over time and that is expected.  That's why we pay yearly renewal fees to get the new features and improvements.  When you choose a product, you choose it based on features, future features (usually seen in the roadmap) and pricing.

Telerik gave us the price, the features and the future features and many people jumped on board based on this information (assuming the price was the price).  Then overnight they jump it up 2.2 fold for a few new features.  To me this comes across as greedy and it's them trying to position themselves at a certain place in the market at the expense of alienating their current ardent supporters. I find this disappointing and I hope they reconsider or do something to help out people who have multiple sites on Sitefinity and are their developers in the real world (and their evangelist).

Ben

simply my humble opinion,
I saw the same thing happen with Telligent’s ‘Community Server’ just a few years back.  There was a similar uproar within that community when a similar change occurred with that product.
Note: “enterprise” is now the second word in the product tag line.   Also, I don’t think they second guessed themselves much, or ever looked back at the community of “evangelists” that they were seemingly letting down.

But why bid farewell to having solutions attractively priced to the smaller guys?
simple…  they can’t ask as much from the large enterprise level customer if there is only a small disparity in usability between the enterprise level solution and the ‘lesser’ versions.  It is just business.    Some might argue, even a natural cycle.
Company develops community behind product by making it an extraordinary value.   When product becomes mature, you no longer need that community, as the product sells itself.   The only thing that typically throws exception to this cycle is when there is much broader ‘brand’ loyalty at stake.

I agree Ben, a change in where they want to be in the market, indeed.   Their new target?...possibly fewer, higher paying customers?    Instead of starting with the sweet spot being a price/value that gets folks in the door, they are confident that their product/name is mature enough to start at the high end and price the smaller fish out?

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2010 00:00

What concerns me most about the new pricing is that Telerik seems happy to make feature limitations that are arbitrary.  That gives me no confidence that future features that i need will be included in the edition I purchase today.

For example, load balancing and source code are sensible Enterprise requirements, so they are natural features to add to the Enterprise edition.  If I buy a lesser edition, I wouldn't expect those features.  Allowing fewer concurrent users and limiting the number of content items also seems natural to me.  But when you start disabling features, that scares me.  How can I be assured that future features will make it into my edition?  Perhaps they decide that ecommerce is an enterprise level feature.  But by then I will have sunk a lot of time and money into a product that isn't what I expected it to be.

I would prefer to see all editions using the same full-featured product, so we can all experience the same benefits but just on different scales.  Keep the content and concurrent user limits, and give the enterprise people the load balancing and source code they need.  That would at least make me confident that the product I buy today will be the product I need tomorrow.  I don't have that confidence now.

Did you consider taking care of your existing customers by grandfathering them in?

Look, you've been touting features (granular permissions in our case) for nearly a year and promising that when the time came, we'd get a no-cost upgrade as long as we were current in our support agreement. Now we're being offered a product that is severely crippled. If we want to use the new version, we need to re-do all the permissions and/or create second accounts for our users (which we/they will hate). We also have to ditch our second web server since we can no longer do load balancing. 

Gee thanks! Can't wait until you do this again in version 5!

At least you could have offered existing clients the opportunity to upgrade to any version they want for free, but with the understanding that we would inherit the new support costs. Seems that would be in your best interest. Here's the reality:

1. You give me the new $2,000 version of 4.0 for free. I muck about to make things work with our handcuffed version of 4.0. I no longer evangelize your product. I tell people that if we weren't so invested in it, I'd be looking elsewhere. You get our $399 a year in support and in the next 10 years you'll get around $4,000 and a ho-hum customer. Everyone goes about doing their business.

2. You give me the enterprise version of 4.0 for free. I happily go about doing business as usual. I tell my friends in the development community how great Telerik continues to be. I tell them that this is a company interested in keeping customers happy and developing better product. You get our $3999 a year in support and in the next 10 years you'll get around $40,000 and a satisfied customer.

Think about it. In the first year of scenario 2, you get 10 years worth of renewals, keep me happy, and make an additional $36,000 over the next nine years. Your marketing department must have been working under the assumption that we'd just happily give you a bunch more up-front money without complaining. Well, they were wrong. We can use the crippled version and you can miss out on an extra $3600 a year in support.

-Stormy.

@KMan: I would prefer to see all editions using the same full-featured product, so we can all experience the same benefits but just on different scales.  Keep the content and concurrent user limits, and give the enterprise people the load balancing and source code they need. 

I respectfully disagree, and consider separating products based on features to be the norm for software.

I see the problem as being the decision to demarcate the products based both on features AND licensed use, setting arbitrary values for the second of these, and forcing customers to pay for the usage licenses even if they only wanted the features.

Again, offering my 2c worth, I believe that this could be better managed by taking a leaf from Microsoft’s server product pricing book... even if only in concept.

Instead of bundling each version with licensed access/use for an arbitrary number of users, pages and items, the values of “Concurrent CMS Users”, “Number of Sitemap Pages”, “Number of Content Items”, could instead be MAXIMUM SUPPORTED values for each version, but with each version only being bundled with the lowest possible values of each setting, i.e. the free version’s values.

The customer buys the version which provides the features, applications and capacity limits it provides.

The customer then buys license keys to allow use of the version they bought, to match the demands of their implementation environment.

e.g. So, just to create an example... I might buy a copy of Professional simply because I want a specific feature it offers. It also has higher maximum capacities for CMSUSERS, PAGES and ITEMS, but, it only comes packaged with licensed values of CMSUSERS:1, PAGES:25, ITEMS:250. I pay more for the Professional version than the Standard version because of the extra features and maximum capacities it provides, but I don’t pay an excessively inflated price for an arbitrary packaged license of users, pages and items. Instead, I work out how many CMS users, pages and items I need to provide access for, and I then buy the appropriate usage license keys (in blocks) to match my requirements. I pay for what I need, both in features and usage, and I don’t pay for unused license fees of users, pages, items that my installation may never require.

This could allow Telerik to reduce the nominal price of each version, while allowing them to charge for higher use of each version.

Obviously, Telerik’s challenge would then be to develop features and applications that would be of benefit to each market sector, and use them to separate the products, along with the capacity limits they consider appropriate to each version.

This is the conceptual approach that Microsoft take with their server products... each version of a product offers varying features and capacities that create implicit usage limits, and is priced accordingly. However, each version only comes with a minimal access license, and you purchase additional access according to your needs.

I know telerik had argued that it wasn't feasible for it to maintain two editionback in the sitefinity 3.x days. I am wondering why it didn't look at a different licensing mechanism for 4.x.  I think most of us are more concerned with the lack of flexibility instead of merely just the price.  It seems that we are forced to go with a higher price edition rather than to pay for what our customers want.  It is very difficult to sell to the customers that way.

Has telerik considered the licensing model below?

For example, all editions can share the same code base, but one needs different sets of license keys to unlock certain features.  Each edition comes with a pre-packaged license key that unlock multiple features, and users of may buy additional features a la carte.  You can buy the analytics package, 50-content items pack, 100-content items pack, etc. 

For instance, inputting a small business edition license key will unlock the appropriate number of content items, etc. The pre-packaged edition offers better price than that of a la carte options.  Heck, I won't be opposing restricting certain features (ie: load balancing) to certain base package.

This way, we will have the flexibility to buy what our customers really need, while at the same time it gives us room to grow as needed.  It also makes it easier to market to our customers.  Instead of buying a package that with many features they don't need, the customers now have the options to buy what they need in additional to the base package.  The upgrade pricing can be proportion to the items one has purchased so that telerik won't be losing renewal money under this scheme.

I suppose that telerik might be worried about pirates who might create keygens and refuse to buy the product.  Perhaps you guys can withhold certain binaries (and comment out the appropriate sections in the web.config) until they have paid for the more advanced features?

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2010 00:00

@thelyrist

I think its a bit lat in the process for such a discussion. This was a strategic descition way back then made by Telerik and we have to live by it.

If you take the car business its exactely like this.

You buy a car with basic functionallity:  It drives you from a to b

Then you buy upgrades, Better radio, navi, day lights, sun ruf, leather seats as far as you need it or can afford. This way every one can drive a car.

But then again there is the High End car market where you simply have every thing in it for a base price. That's why not every one is driving a 250'000 USD car.

Again - The business model is a up to Telerik. The problem is that you have been driving a certain car for the past 20 years (if you take car years to it years) only to find out that your next car will cost either 8 times as much as your last car or you end up without the radio you allways took for granted in your car.

But as live goes on - you might be buying another brand of car.

It's just the history you are sorry about. Loved Telerik, Loved Sitefinity and now the end of a long lasting relationship might come.

There are other products on the market that will drive you from a to b. But probably none with such a great support team behind it.

Just my 2cent on this.

Markus

PS: Sure hope to keep driving the same car, sorry CMS I have been driving the past years :-)

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Dec-2010 00:00

I just don't understand the limitations on concurrent users, especially with the Standard edition. A user being able to log in at will and create/edit content is at that very core of why a CMS is needed! I can understand 1 user for the Community edition, it's free and that's fine. Small Business Edition should have at least 2, but for the Standard Edition, costing $2000, that should definitely be unlimited. That's my $.02.

I'm curious to know if Telerik talked to any non-profits about these prices?

For non-profits, this is a serious beating on budgets. 

Hello Robert,

This was a question we've had when we announced that we are stopping the Community Edition for the 3.x versions. We've heard you back then, and have introduced a free Community edition for the 4.x versions. We hope that it will help for that purpose. 

Best wishes,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Dec-2010 00:00

Maybe one way Telerik could soften the blow a bit would be a time period in which the old pricing is still applied to the standard version. 900 USD instead of 2000 USD

4.0 will not be really feature complete. Lots of stuff will be added after release (even some stuff from 3.7 will not be ready in January if I recall correct). Some things will never be the same as in 3.7 (concurrent users)

So you kind of pay up front for featurs you will receive some time later (might be a month or a couple of month)

It's like buying a car and the dealer tells you the radio, electrical windows and remote lock will be added when you bring your car in after 10'000 miles (and right, you go from unlimied CD to 3 CD)

So to make the switch a bit more attraktive this could be one way to go.

But then again - I just looked at another CMS with much more features for the same price, but its just not Sitefinity. So maybe its better to buy a BMW with the readio delivered later then buying a Skoda with the CD Changer in from the start :-)

Love Sitefinity and hope 4.1 will be released very very soon after 4.0

Markus

Hello,

While you are right that some features are missing, you cannot just close your eyes on the features coming with the Official release - Search, with an option to combine different type data sources to go to the index, without the need to create custom indexes (!!!), Browse and Edit feature, Custom Content Fields with UI - so you don't have to work with code (!!!), Start-Up kits, that you can use right away with any edition of Sitefinity, SDK and comprehensive guides for each type of users (content writers, administrators, power users, designers, developers). Another thing is, we are certainly listening to your feedback (as always) on the concurrent users, and will do something there in order to achieve more balance (more satisfaction for you, more flexibility from the CMS side). The official release will bring javascript optimizations - most of the scrips will be combined, something that you had to do manually with the previous versions.

We are aiming to produce more documents like this one - Developer Productivity Outline - that will show what is under the hood, not just features that you can see on the surface. 

Marcus, I like the association you did :)

Best wishes,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Oooh, Bambooey

Dear Georgi

Well the best feature about Sitefinity is the support you get. I was born in Munich so I for sure will try to get the BMW because I trust they will put in a radio thats mutch better then any other brand :-)

You are right that SF is under the hood probably just way better then any other CMS. But then again go shopping for a car with your wife (or a CMS with a customer) and they will never ever look under the hood.

Am am glad to hear that the CD changer (conncurrent user) is back in discussion.

Looking forward to great new things to come but I think you guys wont have much time of between X-mas and new year if you realy want to deliver all those things till January 14.

But there is one thing we allways say. A day has 24 hours and if this is not enough you can work at night too.,

Regards Markus

PS: I don't have my eyes closed  - I just don't see browse and edit yet :-)

@steve
What does this mean? Oooh, Bambooey

Hi Markus Berchtold,

You do not see it because we are releasing mainly fixes with our weekly builds. The build with the features is coming soon :) The Browse and Edit is currently in testing phase.

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

" you cannot just close your eyes on the features coming with the Official release"

Yes I can. To keep with the car analogy, you've created a beautiful looking car (marketing/promised features). However, if you look under the hood, you put a governor or us by telling us the upgrade we get is limited in concurrent CMS users, took away six cylinders (the ability to do web balancing), taken away the leather seats, power windows, heated seats, A/C, radio, power steering, navigation, and integrated Bluetooth (Breadcrumb, Search Control, Generic Content Link from Content Block, Forums Module, Newsletter Module, Lists Module, Polls, Wiki). So I have a cool looking car that can't go more than 10MPH that I'm told can be upgraded sometime after I buy it. 

Also, I can't close my eyes regarding the migration. I won't be able to use any of the new 4.0 features until our site is migrated. I've been trying to keep a cool head and have started seriously evaluating 4.0. Unfortunately the migration is a disaster. Not only do I have to download code (which needs to be tweaked), build, and install it in a couple places but when I do the migration it either doesn't work or only does a subset of the work. In the current state of things, we'll need to schedule a couple of weeks just to migrate our site. I haven't seen anything about what I can expect or when I can expect it when it comes to migration. If I'm going to make a purchase before the prices go up, I should at least have the right tools to evaluate the product and migration before making a purchasing decision. After all, if we have to have multiple resources dedicated to migrating, setting permissions, fixing external links, etc., on 1200 pages that could take weeks to migrate and QA - costing us several thousand additional dollars! At that point it does make sense to consider using the migration tool to push content into another CMS. If you made it simple enough, I would have another reason keep the status quo.

For a significant upgrade fee (we now need professional or enterprise) plus a substantially higher annual cost, I had sort of assumed that the transition from 3.7 -> 4.0 was going to be smooth. 

Lastly, how you can have a "release candidate" that isn't feature complete is beyond comprehension. I expect a release candidate to be feature complete with some bugs. With all due respect, you should really continue to call this product what it is - a beta. From Wikipedia (and any other firm I've worked with in the past):

"The term release candidate (RC) refers to a version with potential to be a final product, ready to release unless fatal bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bug."

Clearly this product isn't there yet. 

I hope you shock me by getting everything wrapped up and delivered by your January deadline. I'm not ready to bail on Sitefinity at this point, but you've got a lot to get done before you convince me to stay with your company.

I've been patient for a long time and I'm trying to make the best of a frustrating situation. Sorry for the rant.

@Stormy:  "I expect a release candidate to be feature complete with some bugs"

No, an RC should be feature complete and contain NO KNOWN BUGS. i.e. It is considered ready to release for sale, but subject to final fixes, should the RC turn up any previously unknown bugs.

Beta is normally a feature complete stage but with known bugs still to be hammered out and perf tuning to be done.

Alpha (these days often euphemistically labelled as "community technical preview" - CTP) is normally a development stage with missing features, known bugs and obvious performance issues.

It's very hard to see the current release as an RC, and even to see it as a Beta you have to squint and look at it in the best light, giving it a large benefit of doubt.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

@MB - Of course you'r correct... I was trying to be charitable in my rant :)

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

After receiving the "renew your expired license now to get your 4.0 at discounted rate" email from telerik, I decided not to worry about the cost and tried to welcome 4.0 with open arms.

There are still quite a few bugs (I only tried the image library section and it was not really usable at all--that's for another thread), and I agree that the 4.0RC is not of RC quality yet.

What really bugs me is that after a few years of development (between 3.x and 4.0 RC), there is still no easy way for the users to order the images in the image library!

In the 3.x days my client always asks me how to make sure a particular image is shown as the thumbnail of the album or re-order the images in the album.  I have to tell them just save the image you want to appear first last!  It is very counterintuitive.  I know I can add an extra ordinal field, but ultimately drag and drop sorting will be most welcome.  For a $2,000 CMS, I think this functionality is a no-brainer.

I am still on the fence as for whether to recommend my client to renew the expired 3.x license, but with the new price tag I am expecting a little bit more from 4.0.  At this rate, we might not see a usable version of 4.x until next summer.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Dec-2010 00:00

We are planning on a restructure/redesign of our government website and I was suggesting to one of my bosses that we go the CMS route and get Sitefinity. I used a community version a while back testing it out and liked the way it worked. There were some minor things that I didn't like such as form creation and they mentioned they were working on adding that in a later release of the "real" version of the 3.x. I knew it was $899 and my boss was stating that we can see about using it since we use Telerik ASP.Net controls already and like their products. I just showed him the new prices this morning and he said there is no way we are doing it now. How can something go from $899 for the CMS to various versions where we would actually have to have at the very least $8k version since the number of concurrent users is 10 and hopefully we don't have anymore on at that same time or someone isn't going to be able to use it. We would also need load balancing support. So, yes, argue it all you want Telerki people. You lost another potential customer as that is way too much of a jump and not worth using.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Dec-2010 00:00

I stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd add a note.

As a mostly happy RadControls developer I've recommended that package to my clients. Looking to invest further into all things Telerik I took a look at SiteFinity a few months ago.  I found the pricing model completely unrealistic and uninviting.  I'm sticking with Drupal based on LAMP and will call off-site to my ASP.NET server to provide RadControl content.

My suggestion is that Telerik offer a free single-user developer edition to get us hooked on the product.  Then offer a pay-as-you go licensing model so that we can deploy small sites without a prohibitive entry-level cost for smaller sites.  I propose something like $20/month for limited usage.  Ala-carte features can be activated separately or Telerik can build in a phone-home model to monitor and bill for usage.  The more I use it, the more I will pay, but I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars up-front, per site on any software.

Telerik if you don't like my numbers or the details, let's talk about it, but we need to negotiate somewhere from where you are to a point where I and lots of people like me will consider the cost/value to be equitable.  Right now you're just off the table and not open to negotiation.  This is what I mean by uninviting.   I'm not even considering this product and not looking at ads or update notices because I consider the product so outlandishly out of range for my use and for my prospect audiences.

I want to use and recommend your software, but you need to be realistic about the value you provide and the price that end-users will pay for such value - especially when we're faced daily with the "but it's free" mantra of people comparing commercial tools with FOSS.  I strongly encourage you to consider making this a lower-cost, higher-volume product rather than the current high-ticket low-volume product that it seems to be.  You can try that model as an experiment and if it doesn't work, plan for and advertise that after the special promotion that the cost for new sites will go back to current pricing without affecting existing sites.  I think most of us can deal with that.

I hope that helps.

"FOSS is only free if your time is worthless."

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2012 00:00

Oh common guys this is cheap, and look the most popular is the professional version at a meager ($8000)-  http://www.sitefinity.com/purchase.aspxDon't worry the future of cms will show its head soon. The experience is far from smooth in Sitefinity, too. It seemed promising at first but not much better than crappy DNN. 

Funny, that as a response to the biggest recession in recent history prices are more than doubled. 

Don't get me wrong, I like telerik. I just can't afford them. 

I think we All love Telerik & Sitefinity, which is why we are trying to get them to be more reasonable with their prices instead of just going elsewhere, but yes, it is becoming very difficult to afford them and I think a lot of us feel that we helped them build up and now they are leaving us in the dust for bigger fish and more profits and that sucks.

The current pricing forces people to buy more Sitefinity than they really need, for any given site... i.e. In order to meet your actual requirements, you are often going to end up buying massive capacity over-kill and multiple unused features - which is difficult to justify to an accountant.

As I detailed earlier in this thread, I believe that the pricing needs to be more modular and based on license-pak units that you add-on to a common base, to unlock features and increase capacity. This would allow people to buy the features and capacity they need for each site, and allow them to meet the budgets of each more easily.

I guess the SME market is simply not very profitable for Telerik.

I haven't really followed too closely with the latest development at Sitefinity lately.  I deal mostly with SME myself.  I have a couple 4.2/ 4.3 installations.  Since the new pricing I have been recommending Umbraco to my clients.  They simply don't have budget or appetite for a $2000 CMS, yet the small business edition is often too restrictive, especially there are open source solutions out there. (While I don't do PHP myself, my competitors do and their Drupal, Word Press, etc solutions are at least $500 cheaper right off the bat)

We had some 3.x licenses and we decided to upgrade to 4 when we were still eligible for the whatever promotion they had at the time.  I left a forum post complaining the bugginess and incomplete features of the earlier 4.x versions (I am thinking 4.1).  I have done several implementations with 3.7, and the early 4.x versions were a pain to work with. (bugs with navigation, hide from navigation from pages, unusably slow speed, etc).
Then I received a call from a gentleman (the NA sales manager I think).  He apologized for the delay of 4.x and the problem i had.  He reassured that telerik offers excellent support I won't find in open source community (which I tend to agree; telerik's service and support has always been one of its brighter spot)   I told him that I am tired of workarounds (which are often broken when telerik fixes the bugs in future versions) I asked him about the new pricing structure, suggesting a $1000 version, but he kept on telling me that there won't be a product at that price point, as it will severely hurt the sales of their standard edition.

I commented that, the SME won't pay $2,000 (when their website budget is only $2,500, and I don't work for free), and the small business edition is too restrictive,  They are effectively pricing themselves out for the SME market.  He said they couldn't compete with Umbraco in price, but their features, track record and support are superior.  Also, he commented that (i don't remember the exact words he used, but the idea is like) usually the small vocal few made up of 80% of the complaints.  While I don't disagree that it is more difficult to serve us independent consultants, the bigger consulting firms simply moved on without commenting.  At my day job, our CMS that serves  millions traffic per month moved away from 3.7 to their competitors (think we would probably have bought the be the enteriprise license had we stayed).  I proceeded to ask him, the bottomline, is the 4.1 version better or worse than 3.7 in terms of features and stability.  He had no answer for that.  He was a nice guy and I felt sorry to ask him such a question, but as a consumer, that the most logical question to ask.  You wanted double the money yet offered me fewer features and stability?  No matter how great your road map was, the transition to 4.x was really painful as features got dropped.  The price increase was the added insult.  The reality is, the early 4.x versions were buggier, slower and less featured-rich than 3.7!

I know sitefinity has released 4.3, 4.4 and 5.0.  I upgraded one client to 4.3 and it was much more stable.  It should have been the 4.0 version!  Yet, it was still missing some features in 3.7 and certain features already available in other CMS (even the free ones)

In terms of ease of development, I personally find Umbraco was much more easy to work. I think the architecture in general is more well thought out.  What Sitefinity has for it is the UI is more polished than Umbraco, and its Editor is more reliable than Umbraco's for sure.  However, for some NGO, etc (which i usually work with), that doesn't justify the $2000 price tag.  (and if we go cheap with the small business edition, we might as well use Umbraco as its features ar way less restrictive.

Now that both platform is at version 5, it will be interesting to see how they stack up against each other. 

I commented because I love telerik and I care. I might give 5.0 community edition a try to build my new blog, but it takes a bit more to convince me that sitefinity is again a viable choice for my clients.  Not sure if telerik cares and I think it has all but given up the SME.

I just decided to revive this post because I was sent a promotion asking me to spend $3000 for some small perk.

Something worried me a little as I checked back on the general forum 2 hours later on  a Monday Low an behold my post was the last post received with " replied 2hours ago " marked beside it. That doesn't say much about a community--not concerned about my rant being replied to, but there were no other posts at that time.

Just to be complete here was my offer

We would like to let you know about a great offer, which is available until the end of this week:

For a limited time, place a Sitefinity order worth $3,000 or more and get complimentary coaching from a Sitefinity Partner Solution Consultant with it. 

Deal: Place a Sitefinity order worth $3,000 or more and get 4 hours ($400 value) of Sitefinity coaching with it

Super Deal: Place a Sitefinity order worth $6,000 or more and get 8 hours ($800 value) of Sitefinity coaching with it

Hurry! 

That reminded an offer from the gentleman I spoke with.  I made it clear to him that I wasn't looking for any perks when I complained, but he was generous to offer me... something that has been in the work... 

drumroll... Free trial to "Telephone support from developer"

Seriously. telephone support?  Is it the best value they can offer to a customer?  They will probably ask me for my sample code, project and db backup anyway.  One extra support incident would be 100x more useful.  Oh yes, I tried not to submit any tickets because the small business edition comes with a number of incidents only.  Tried not to waste the quota....

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Mar-2012 00:00

@All
I have been using SF for quite some time and work mostly with small business. The 500 USD for the SBE are well worth it. I know how hard it is to convince small businesses that 500 USD for something you can have for free is worth it.
But do yourself and your clients a favour and install Jommla or Typo3 next to Sitefnity and you will see that SF is simply usability wise 5 years ahead.
Concerning the features. Yes SF might still be a bit behind. But I rather sell my clients a car without the sun roof if they can drive it.
Yes there are some things I miss in the SBE (nag nag nag - multiple backend languages and so) but in general 50 pages has been enough for my clients.
Concerning the rest. In the past 12 month SF has come to where it should have been when 4.0 was released. And yes SF still has a lot potential so stay tuned for new great stuff to come.
I am sure 2012 will be the year when Telerik with SF will deliver again more then we expect.
Markus

Hi Markus,

I agree that $500 might be worth it, the problem is that to really use SF most people need at least the $2,000 version and quite quickly you jump up to needing the $8,000 version.  That is MUCH more difficult to justify.  

If you write an app that uses integrated security with SF and you are on the $2,000 version then you can only have 5 admins logged in at once to this app.  These users might not be editing pages but if they want a single login to edit backend and admin some tool you wrote then only 5 can be in the system at the same time at all.  Or you pay $8,000 and you can have 10 of them in.  This is very expensive and super restrictive but it's how it works right now.

I think most of us love the product but feel the pricing is just way too high, even with all the new features (which have been dribbling in for the past year and even with the ones that are planned).

I don't want to switch to Umbraco or any other CMS.  I want to stick with SF but my clients simply won't go for it at this price tag!

That's just my $0.02

Ben

This thread is pretty stale at this point (started in 2010).  Although I certainly recognize that pricing continues to be a point of contention for some projects.  However, I haven't overheard any internal conversations about changing the pricing or licensing.  I think everyone is reasonably happy with how we're positioned in the marketplace.  We're certainly not priced at the high-end of the market, nor are we priced at the low-end (free) of the market.  

I wrote a blog post awhile ago with my own personal take on how to value a CMS.  I encourage organizations to base their web site investment on a fractional % of the revenue attached to their web site.  In this context, CMS and web design costs are minimal.  What is more important is the capacity of the CMS to help an organization be more effective.  Costs are then easily reclaimed through productivity enhancements or new revenue.  This is where we ultimately want to compete.  

Once you look past the one-time fractional investment of a few $1,000 you can have a nuanced conversation about business objectives and how best to achieve those objectives.  Towards that end, the CMS becomes a means to an end and we are working to make Sitefinity the best tool for the job.  However, I recognize that every project is different.

Gabe Sumner
Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

We, too, just as Ben Alexandra, feel we've contributed to building this product (in our case providing a language pack and user controls) and then tossed in the dust for not fitting the profile of the newly-defined target audience.
But you got to simply deal with it, as pricing is not going to change.
We provide our own simplified CMS to smaller companies, but continue upgrading Sitefinity for bigger companies -- mostly because their users got used to working with Sitefinity, but also because over the years we've added so many custom user controls that switching to another system would be bad business for us.
Let's hope version 5 delivers on the promises.

We're all interested in Telerik's success. While consensus here is that there is a lot of room for improvement (increased revenue and adoption), if the company is comfortable with their current positioning, there is only so much that people like us can do to present a case for change.

I think people there need to internalize some concepts: Some people here like myself are saying we're simply not using, supporting, or advocating Sitefinity purely based on price, regardless of features or quality. I don't bother to look at the feature set because I can't imagine trying to sell it to any company that has a clue about the CMS industry. Others are saying they're limiting the scope of their usage and advocacy. Again, if you're really comfortable that these losses are acceptable then we can't argue, but will respectfully disagree and leave you to conduct your business as you see fit. While I do see both sides of this I have a deep sense that your management is betting on quality of quantity. That is, profit per installation is preferred over having more installations to support, which can increase support resources and the cost of business, thus perhaps reducing profitability. In this case I don't believe that's a good strategic position.

Even if the company is targeting just a high-ticket corporate audience, you need a healthy community based around the offering. Googling for "sitefinity" reveals virtually no community, only press releases, case studies, third-party sales and support. No one is blogging about this software to sing its praises. No one is asking questions in public forums. Sure, large corporations don't hang out in blogs or forums, but without that sort of marketing support from neutral third parties, it's hard for corporate decision makers and their staff to justify a purchase of a product that's virtually unknown outside of Telerik fandom. Now, compare this to any other CMS platform which has huge community support, and you see that Sitefinity isn't positioned in a context that agrees with the current marketing strategy. You need just enough people out there raving about the platform to overcome potential sticker shock. I'm not suggesting that you need a base like Drupal, Joomla, or WordPress to lend credibility to the product (though that wouldn't hurt). But (IMO) you shouldn't rely on marketing only to people who don't experience sticker shock - and yet that seems to be exactly where the company is positioning.

I'm sorry folks, I think you're going to have to learn a hard lesson here and I just hope no one blames the software for it. That's usually what happens - the tech people get blamed if the product isn't adopted even when people like us in the field cite obvious (to us) issues with the distribution model. Why am I even commenting on this? Because issues like that may affect the technical staff you keep or release if Sitefinity fails, and as a RadControls fan I don't want my tools of choice affected by some other unrelated product, profit center, or management team.

Thanks for the opportunity to voice an opinion.

@Gabe

I appreciate that Telerik needs to make a profit if the product is to survive, develop and be supported, but I think that the arguments put forward to justify the pricing policy miss the point entirely.

As I see it, Telerik are choosing an extremely inflexible approach to their pricing, forcing developers to look elsewhere when their project won't fit into Telerik's pricing model, and then trying to justify their policy by arguing that the product warrants the extra expense.

It's a bit like trying to sell a Mercedes SLK to buyer with a budget for a Hyundai, by explaining that the Mercedes is a better product... that's a valid argument in itself, but if you ain't got the money, you ain't going to buy, no matter how good the Mercedes might be.

As I keep arguing, Telerik could address much of their problem in this area, by having a more flexible and modular pricing policy... allowing people to buy as much Sitefinity as they need for each project, rather than looking elswhere when their budget won't stretch to the required edition of Sitefinity.

Enabling the features you need, and buying the capacity you need, via incremental add-on license/feature paks is an approach that Microsoft have used successfully for many of their products.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2012 00:00

@MB
I am the first to embrace car examples. However I have never read a post on a Mercedes forum that the SLK is priced to high :-)
As in the realworld there are cheaper or free CMS like Joomla (Hunday) and there is Sitefinity (Mercedes).
And this is what SF is for me a very good quality CMS :-)

Markus

PS: I like Audi better then Mercedes so at the end it's often a personal choice and not everyone can drive a Porsche ;-)

I think if SF were a new product and came into the market at $2,000 - $8,000 with the features it had it would be a different story that what actually happened, which is that it was $899 for all features and then it suddenly jumped to $8,000 for 10 concurrent admin users!  Some of us loyal users who built significant portions of our business around this suddenly were left out in the cold and got priced out a product we were loyal to.

We all love Sitefinity but I think a lot of us can't afford to offer it to anyone except our most profitable and large clients.

Ben

I think Ben hit's nail on head here. It's not just that it's too expensive, it's that it went from a product that many built businesses on, years of experience and suddenly the price was out of reach. In addition, at this new out of reach price tag it suddenly had fewer features, far, far more bugs and the hosting requirements are now 5-10 times more. For me it's been a tough and embarrassing year. Many of my clients who I convinced to go with SF over Open Source solutions, and who now love the product, are now told that in order to get the latest the price is now out of their budget. I've not had to retrain myself from primarily a .net developer (90%) to a php dev as I've now changed the majority of my development to using the MODX CMS. I was always a supporter of Telerik and still will be if the budget permits. One thing I've learned in my switch to Open Source is that if a product is solid then you don't actually need all the Support that Telerik provides. If there weren't so many bugs requiring so many work arounds then the Support that is such a big selling feature of Sitefinity would be obsolete.

I do look forward to working with Sitefinity again some day, I'm just not sure when and even then I will be hesitant as once burned, twice shy (or something like that). 

p.s. Markus, I always love your car analogies. However consider this, with SF 4 we weren't sold a Mercedes, we were sold a broken down car with only 3 wheels and a Mercedes body carefully placed on top, made to look like a nice Mercedes until you touched it. Oh and they threw in a bent bike rack and broken trailer that we didn't want in the first place.

Man, many of you are much nicer and loyal than I am. I understand the business decisions. What I take issue with is how Telerik handled its existing customers that got them to where they were. In our case, we were promised something by sales, but that tune changed with the new version and licensing model. I also thought Vassil was very arrogant in his posts on the forums.

As a result, I simply do not think Telerik operates with a lot of integrity and have ceased to recommend their products to many, many people, regardless of how many great features there are.

@Markus

The (perhaps poor) car analogy was simply to make that point that no amount of 'feel the quality' will work, if you don't have the budget.

Telerik's inflexible pricing simply puts it out of the market, except where the requirements happen to exactly match the edition specs. Of course, there are cheaper CMS and Telerik is losing sales to these products, when a more flexible pricing policy could allow it to be more competitive. I know that I have been forced to use alternatives to provide solutions.

Anyone who has studied Marketing knows the 4-Ps

- Product
- Price
- Promotion
- Placement

Telerik have a good product, but they have a bad pricing policy - and Marketing 101 says that is a sales killer.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Mar-2012 00:00

@Phill

You know I love the car analogy.
p.s. Markus, I always love your car analogies. However consider this, with SF 4 we weren't sold a Mercedes, we were sold a broken down car with only 3 wheels and a Mercedes body carefully placed on top, made to look like a nice Mercedes until you touched it. Oh and they threw in a bent bike rack and broken trailer that we didn't want in the first place.
UNQUOTE

You might be right with the above. But this is spoken from a mechanics point of view. If you think about the every day driver (end user) it simply a car thats easy to drive.
Other Hyudai CMS might work perfect under the hood but I found out that my drivers (customers) have a hard time just getting into the car. They are not used to the manual gear shift and simply moving around in the car is so complicated that they give up soon.

So I stick with SF because time after time I realize that after just 2 hours of driving lessons they can take the car to the city :-)

@MB
I don't know to much about marketing but I assume the 4P will add up to a sum. And if Telerik feels the the sum is right for them, who are we to tell them how their Ps should look like. Just waiting for some thread tellin telerik where to put banner adds on the web ;-)

@All
I also had to bite the bullet of higher prices for my small business clients. But I am more then willing to pay the price if the product is right.

I am rather missing small widget then big features. I could have done without forum but needed other stuff more for my drivers. -> no need for towing boats but cup holder would be nice.

Bottom line (after my name, since it has to be on the bottom)
Markus

I love Sitefinitys usability. Support still rocks. And if Telerik focuses on bugs, speed and small improvements like breadcrumb widget I am more then convinced that I made the right choice sticking with SF.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Mar-2012 00:00

@Markus

"if Telerik feels the the sum is right for them, who are we to tell them how their Ps should look like"

Yes, that is absolutely correct, and I'm not disputing it for a second - if they believe it's working, then more power to them.

My comments are limited strictly to the context of this thread, and people (including my own customers) stating that they are not choosing Sitefinity because of the pricing - in that context, the pricing policy is self-evidently an issue.

However, it's entirely Telerik's perogative to decide if that market sector is of value to them and/or how to best market their product.

PPPP basically says that if you do the other 3 well enough, then Price has less impact - Apple is built on this approach.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2016 00:00

I also noticed right away and up front that Sitefinity was so ashamed of their prices that they NEVER publish any of that on their website. Big mystery, Why?  You are coming across like a used car salesman who wants you to hand him the keys to your car while you take him for a test ride. Only to come back and have them tell you that they sold your car during the 30 minutes of looking at their possible sale.

This website smelled like a rat nest from the very opening. Maybe I hsave lived 76 years to long?

I learned more from this psudo review that I did on all of the Sitefinity pages.

No Thanks I will pass and delete from my system. Just thought you should know.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-May-2016 00:00

Hello Houstin,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'm really sorry to hear about your experience, and just wanted to check back with you and see if I can address some of your points.

You're correct in noticing that we don't publish our prices on the website. I don't think it's such an uncommon practice, nor something to be ashamed of. I think it's a business decision, which does not limit in any ways the customer's ability to get a price quote. Actually requesting a quote means a lot to us, and we want to make sure you'll get the proper attitude and advise from us for the interest you've shown in our company's products - usually a process that involves more than providing just the numbers.
I agree with you that having the ability to know a product's price before trialing it (or vice versa) is very important. Please correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe the journey on the website does not explicitly restrict to either of these options preceding the other - you can easily request a quote and do a trial in the order of your preference, and in both actions we want to make sure you get the best experience to make your objective decision.

I respect your opinion about the website - after all despite that we were never known as one-size-fits-all type of company, and we always try to address our customers's specific needs through our products and marketing assets, at the end of the day the UX we offer is judged against everyone's personal preference. I'll be glad to provide any specific information you are interested in about the Sitefinity product, which you weren't able to find on the website - this would also help us find out how we can improve our customer's experience, and I want to thank you in advance for giving us this opportunity.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2016 00:00

I think Ben's opinion is a little extreme but he does have a point. I'm a developer who frequently downloads trial products and tools and recommends them to my company.  That's what I did 5 years ago with Sitefinity. When a company does not publish their price I find it highly annoying. When I don't see a price I move on and find a similar product that does include prices.  I do get the same "used car lot" feeling so I certainly understand Ben's position.  

What I find worse than not including prices is that you guys launched a free (Community Edition) and a low cost (Business Edition) edition. Only to discontinue those versions later on. You might not like to hear this but that is the ultimate bait and switch tactic.  At least with a used car lot you can walk away when that happens. It's not so easy after you built your application with Sitefinity and now you have to spend an additional $10,000 or so every year to keep using it.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-May-2016 00:00

I received a couple emails to notify me of activity in this discussion. I completely forgot about it. The comments from 6 years ago still apply today. I love Telerik but never once seriously considered Sitefinity for any client requests. In 2010 I was working with Drupal. Since then I've moved on with WordPress, and the phenomenal CMS that it's become.

With the entire core and perpetual updates all free, and a thriving third-party market of plugin and theme developers, the WordPress platform has come to dominate the CMS industry. Why didn't Telerik adopt that model? Why didn't we get an opportunity to participate in an ecosystem like that when it seemed so obvious that the Sitefinity business model doomed this fine product into obscurity? I'm guessing the CFO and team at Telerik/Progress figured $100 (for a component) @ 10,000 (units) is equal to 100 units @ $10,000 - so why bother with dealing with high volume, low-ticket offering? Well, if those ratios are accurate, that's true. But if you look at the actual numbers for WordPress, the CMS market is exponentially larger than that - and Telerik simply blew it by not providing a platform that we can put forward in that ecosystem. (managewp.com/statistics-about-wordpress-usage)

Again, I completely forgot about Sitefinity given the situation here. That's now 6 years during which I have only recommended this product twice, when I have recommended and implemented countless others (including the Telerik Platform). What does it mean for Telerik/Progress revenue if even the people enamored with the brand completely forget about this offering? Speaking of the Platform, with Telerik experience with Cordova and Xamarin, I'm hoping they have a taste of the profitability associated with working with bigger names - with embracing global trends rather than hunkering down in their own little island and expecting others to pay the price to visit.

I understand that the Sitefinity model, which I would phrase as follows: "Provide a high quality product at a business-class price, that eliminates the common burdens of FOSS, including independent developers who lose interest in critical components, and random security flaws and inconsistencies associated with components from a number of random developers." That’s a fine model, one which is embraced by IBM for AIX and RedHat for Linux. But the questions which follow include: Is there really that much Value associated with the price? Can Telerik quantify and compare that model for an average business site, with the amount of time=money spent on freeware to get roughly equivalent functionality? I don't see that. I don't see a Value Model for Sitefinity to compare with what we're getting in the FOSS world (as poor as it can be at times). I put the blame for that squarely in the lap of Telerik/Sitefinity Marketing.

Or perhaps to summarize all of that, a price can only be Way Too High if we have something to compare against. We are looking at pure numbers and everyone measures Value differently. Sitefinity pricing wouldn't be High if we were convinced that the actual ultimate cost was Higher for solutions like Drupal and WordPress. This is purely about marketing and has nothing to do with the technical prowess of the platform.

The game isn't over. There are still opportunities for Sitefinity to do better. But given the competition it's much harder to break out of the box now than before.

Ahem, thanks for your time.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-May-2016 00:00

I think the guys at Sitefinity decided not to go on competing with the free PHP-MySQL crowd any longer. They chose to compete with high-end products offered by IBM (the former WebSphere platform) and Oracle, for example. It's a limited market, but I think overall it produces less headache and requires less support personnel. It was a legitimate change of policy, but for us who helped launch it many years ago was pretty irritating.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-May-2016 00:00

@Chanan - The question was directed to Telerik. You do not work for Telerik. Unless you have an answer that resolves a specific problem please do not speak for them. I really want to hear what Telerik has to say.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-May-2016 00:00

Why are we still reviving a Sitefinity 4.0 pricing thread?  I was told by Telerik that  SMB was no longer its intended market. I was the one who had to break the news to my clients (SMB and NGOs) that the CMS I recommended had increased the price so dramatically that it was no longer a good fit for them.

It was a tough decision, but I had to move my clients to WordPress.  I personally love Umbraco, but my clients prefer WordPress for its ease of use (visual composer sucks, but the clients love it).  I personally hate coding in PHP as C# is so much more elegant, but WordPress allows one to set up a SMB site quickly and easily with lots of free plug-ins and themes support. There are not a lot money to be made building SMB websites anymore, but I'd gladly build them for cheap and make (very little) money through support and hosting instead.

This thread is closed