What Happened to External Pages in 4.0?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:42

What Happened to External Pages in 4.0?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi,

I am playing around with Sitefinity 4.0 Beta 2. I don't see any option for External Pages. Is this going to be implemented in the Release Candidate, or in a later release, or are there no plans to implement external pages? I would like to use the Navigation Widget, but many of our menu links are to sites external to Sitefinity.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello Thomas ,

External pages support is in our TODO list, but we will not have them for the RC. I believe that we will able to implement this functionality for the official release.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Dec-2010 00:00

It's a pretty simple solution, but I just created a widget with a RedirectTo property specificying the URL of my external page and I redirected to it on load.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Thomas ,

You can use NavigationControl to add a link to it to an external page, but this does not allow you to set some properties of the page. Basically this will generate only a new menu item  in your navigation.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I know if you choose a Horizontal or Vertical menu with no drop down menus, there is an option for "custom selection of pages", Unfortunately, the "custom selection of pages" is not available when you choose "with drop down menus".

Is this what you are referring to or has something new been added to one of the latest builds? If the answer to the later was "no", then Is this still on the TODO list for the final release on Jan 14th? This feature is really critical to us.

Thanks

Tom

Hello Thomas ,

I attached a screenshot to the section I was referring to.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Dear Ivan

Sure hope that not only external Pages link but also internal pages links are on your todo list :-)

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Feb-2011 00:00

What is the status of this item? 4.0 has been released, and I do not find a way to link to external pages, without using the workaround methods listed below.

thanks, Dan

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Feb-2011 00:00

Dear Dan

Quote from this thread http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/site-structure-url-pointing.aspx

With the Q1 2011, we are going to provide new page types, and API for working with rewriting of URLs. Here is the list of pages types coming: 

1. "Standard": Standard page with page data.
2. "Group": Group page without page data.
3. "External": External aspx page from the file system. It's outside of Sitefinity but it is inside of the web site. The page node has a page data object with ExternalPage property set.
4. "InnerRedirect": Redirect inside of Sitefinity (redirecting page). The page node has no page data but keeps the id and the provider of another page node (linked page). It uses the lifecycle and multilingual versions of the linked page. A request to the URL of this page performs permanent redirect to the linked page. In the navigation control the URL of the linked page is rendered instead of the URL of the redirecting page.
5. "OuterRedirect": Redirect outside of Sitefinity. The page node has no page data and permanently redirects to a page from the web. The URL of the linked page is stored in the RedirectUrl property of the PageNode. Supports multilingual, i.e. different URLs for the different languages.
6. "Rewriting": Rewrite inside of Sitefinity. Same as InnerRedirect but loads the page data of the linked page, i.e. the page data is reachable by two URLs. Accessible only through API.

Greetings,
Georgi

UNQUOTE

Regards Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Mar-2011 00:00

Is there a way to response.redirect but have the link from the navigation open in a new browser window?

Also, using the response.redirect puts a delay on the page (even when set to 0) which doesn't look good.

Also, when I try to "use NavigationControl to add a link to it to an external page" and I click on the "add" button nothing happens!

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello Laura,

Also, when I try to "use NavigationControl to add a link to it to an external page" and I click on the "add" button nothing happens!

Does this happen when if you use the latest internal build? This was an issue that we fixed for SP1.

External pages support will be available in Q1 release.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed