Installing JW Player or other third party controls

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:12

Installing JW Player or other third party controls

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi,
I just installed Siteifnity 4.0 and been able to create site/pages etc.
I wanted to install JW player as Sitefintiy 4 still not support videos other then wmv(which is very surprising).
But when i look in the web.config, i see a completely different web.confign then it used to be in earlier version e.g. 3.x.
I am not sure what steps i need to follow to integrate this contorl.Or will JW player be working in 4.0 or not?
A Quick help will be appreciated.

Hi Pankaj,

JW player is java script based player and it does not require registration in the web.config. You can add the script inside the root of you project and use its methods like setup(), start() in the context of a user or custom control with a template.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

In my previous post i was refering about thhe following
www.sitefinity.com/.../longtail-jw-media-player.aspx

In its readme file it says

1) Extract the zip and copy the contents of the "Longtail FW Player"
   folder to the top level of your website.
(I did this)

2) Add the following line to your "<toolboxControls>" node of
   web.config

<add name="Longtail JW Media Player" section="ipObjects" url="~/ipObjects/UserControls/MediaPlayer.ascx"/>

(Not able to find this)

3) Download and/or purchase the Longtail JW player from
   http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player and place the
   .swf in the ~/ipObjects/UserControls/MediaPlayer folder. Name the
   file player-licensed.swf if you want to use the default property
   values.
(I did this)

I have videos in flv,swf formtat, and need to store and show them.

Hi Pankaj,

This forum thread is for Sitefinity 4.0 related questions. In Sitefinity 4.0 adding a custom controls is documented here. If you use Sitefinity 3.x you should enable real file extensions.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks!
My question is related to sitefinity 4.0 issue only only.

I am finally able to see the control in the list by modifying toolboxcontrol.config file and adding one more section and tag in that.

But still i am not able to see that in the widget(module) list.
What do i need to do to see that in the control list , so that i can drag and drop the same in a page.
In 3.x i was very easliy able to do this, but somehow 4.0 looks more complicated to me.

code that i added in toolboxcontro.config

<toolbox name="CustomViewer" title="CustomViewerTitle" description="CustomViewerDescription" resourceClassId="CustomViewerResources">
            <sections>
                <add name="VideoViewer" title="VideoViewer">
                    <tools>
                        <add type="~/ipObjects/UserControls/MediaPlayer.ascx" name="Longtail JW Media Player" title="VideoViewer" description="VideoViewer" layoutTemplate="~/ipObjects/UserControls/MediaPlayer.ascx" moduleName="VideoViewer" section="ipObjects" url="~/ipObjects/UserControls/MediaPlayer.ascx" />
                    </tools>
                </add>
            </sections>
        </toolbox>

attached are the screens that i see in policy window (I can see control there now)  and edit page window (i cant see control there).

Hi Pankaj,

1. Remove LayoutTempalte and ModuleName if you do not have a custom module
2. The control should appear in VideoViewer section you have created, since your screenshot shows the ContentToolBox section.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Thanks for the quick response.
I made the suggested modifications but still no luck.
Please see the attached.

Pankaj I got it to show in the page edit mode by creating the tool under the ContentToolboxSection, see pic.
But when adding it to a page and clicking edit I get an error. Will this even work the tool does say for 3.7?

Thanks!

This is longtail jw player, available in sitefinity marketplace.
http://www.sitefinity.com/marketplace/modules/longtail-jw-media-player.aspx

i earlier got it working in sitefinity 3.7.

but i see  lots of differences in sitefinity 3.7 and 4.0 file structure now.
i am now not sure if any market place control/templates available in market place be working in 4.0.

I also tried Emerald Theme/templates, those are also not working and giving telereik.cms assembly missing error.
I checked in 3.7 version there was telerik.cms dll and several other dlls those are now not there in 4.0.

It seems realy very risky to go further with 4.0 as of now.Please suggest if i should stick with 3.7 and should wait to get this version stable.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2010 00:00

Waiting for response.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Pankaj,

Sitefinity 4.0 architecture is different from this one used in Sitefinity 3.x editions. You cannot use controls compiled  against assemblies from Sitefinity 3.x editions in Sitefinity 4.0 project.
JW Player is a third party javascript library and it should work in Sitefinity 4.0. By default this external library should be added to the folder in your project root and you have to create a custom or user control where you use JW Playermethods like setup(), start()

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed