Language Selector Error

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 09:27

Language Selector Error

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi,

when i try to add the language selector widget to my template i receive one error. Please see the attached images.

I have two languages PT and EN .

Hi JV,

I am not able to replicate this issue locally. Could you attach several screenshots

1. Language settings screeen
2. Pages configuration Sitefinity >> Administration >> Settings >> Advanced >> Pages and what has been set for FrontendRootNode

3. On which language version you create a page.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi,

I sent the images in attach.

My homepage is created in PT and EN but i have other pages that are only created in PT.

Hello JV,

I am not able to replicate the issue with these settings. There is a new build that we uploaded today. Could you download it and try to replicate the issue with it. Let me know if the problem persists and I will try to come up with other suggestions to narrow it down.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi,

I already made the download of the new release and run the upgrade in project manager.

When i try to add the language selector to one page it works.

When i try to add the language selector to one page template i get the error.

Hi JV,

The control cannot work on backend pages or templates. Its current implementation allows to use it only with FrontendSiteMap. We will add some logic to catch the exception. The problem should not persists for pages created under FrontendSiteMap

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2010 00:00

OK.
The error disappear after applying the template to one frontendpage.

I need to change the "tag" displayed in the language selector for example i don't whant "English" but i whant that "EN" appear to the user (Português --> PT). How can i achieve this, how can i costumize the language selector ?

thanks,
JV

Hello JV,

We use CultureInfo and NativeName property of the object. You can change the text of the HtmlGenericControl that us used by creating a custom class that inherits from LanguageSelectorControl. You should override InitializeControls method and rebind the Repeater control - LanguagesRepeater

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Sorry i think i don't understand 100%.
Could you send a litle sample in attach?

thanks,
JV

Hello JV,

Here is a sample code

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Web.UI;
using System.Globalization;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Configuration;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Model;
using System.Threading;

namespace Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples
    public class LanguageSelectorControlCustom : LanguageSelectorControl

protected override string LayoutTemplateName

get

return LanguageSelectorControlCustom.customTemplate;

protected override void InitializeControls(Web.UI.GenericContainer container)

//base.InitializeControls(container);
            var settings = ObjectFactory.Resolve<IAppSettings>();
            List<CultureInfo> languages = new List<CultureInfo>();
            if (this.MissingTranslationAction == NoTranslationAction.HideLink)

languages.AddRange(this.usedLanguages);

else

languages.AddRange(settings.DefinedFrontendLanguages);
                PageManager pm = PageManager.GetManager();
                var homePageId = Config.Get<PagesConfig>().HomePageId;
                if (homePageId != Guid.Empty)

this.homePageNode = pm.GetPageNode(homePageId);

CultureInfo currentLanguage = Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture;
            IEnumerable<CultureInfo> shownLanguages;
            if (this.ShowCurrentLanguage == false && this.SelectorType != LanguageSelectorType.DropDown)

shownLanguages = languages.Where(ci => ci.Equals(currentLanguage) == false);

else

shownLanguages = languages;

this.LanguagesRepeater.DataSource = shownLanguages;
            this.LanguagesRepeater.ItemDataBound += new System.Web.UI.WebControls.RepeaterItemEventHandler(LanguagesRepeater_ItemDataBound);
            this.LanguagesRepeater.DataBind();

void LanguagesRepeater_ItemDataBound(object sender, System.Web.UI.WebControls.RepeaterItemEventArgs e)

CultureInfo ci = (CultureInfo)e.Item.DataItem;
            // here format the link you want to see.

// you can get the template through reflector.
        private const string customTemplate = "Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.Templates.PublicControls.LanguageSelectorControl.ascx";
        private List<CultureInfo> usedLanguages;
        private Pages.Model.PageNode homePageNode;

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Thank you for the code.

See the attached code please tell me what i'm doing wrong (i tried to sent one zip file but i was not allowed).
Sorry but I don't have "Custom Control" experience.

I registered the atached control in the toolbox but nothing appears.

Hello JV,

1. You have not completed the logic inside ItemDataBound event of the repater

2. You should use the template below.

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sfFields" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>

<div runat="server" id="controlWrapper">

<asp:Panel ID="errorsPanel" runat="server" CssClass="sfErrorSummary" />

<sf:ConditionalTemplateContainer ID="sfLangSelectorConditionalTemplateContainer" runat="server">
        <Templates>
            <sf:ConditionalTemplate Left="SelectorType" Operator="Equal" Right="Horizontal" runat="server">
                <asp:Repeater ID="languagesRepeater" runat="server">
                    <HeaderTemplate>
                        <ul id="langsWrapper" class="sflanguagesHorizontalList">
                    </HeaderTemplate>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <li runat="server" id="langHolder" class="sflanguageItem">
                            <a runat="server" id="langLink" href=""><span runat="server" id="langName"></span></a>
                        </li>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                    <FooterTemplate>
                        </ul>
                    </FooterTemplate>
                </asp:Repeater>
            </sf:ConditionalTemplate>
            <sf:ConditionalTemplate Left="SelectorType" Operator="Equal" Right="Vertical" runat="server">
                <asp:Repeater ID="languagesRepeater" runat="server">
                    <HeaderTemplate>
                        <ul id="langsWrapper" class="sflanguagesVerticalList">
                    </HeaderTemplate>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                            <a runat="server" id="langLink" href=""><span runat="server" id="langName"></span></a>
                        </li>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                    <FooterTemplate>
                        </ul>
                    </FooterTemplate>
            <sf:ConditionalTemplate Left="SelectorType" Operator="Equal" Right="DropDown" runat="server">
                <div class="sflanguagesDropDown">
                    <asp:DropDownList runat="server" ID="langsSelect"></asp:DropDownList>
                </div>
        </Templates>
    </sf:ConditionalTemplateContainer>
</div>

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

OK Thanks,

Now in the  LanguagesRepeater_ItemDataBound  

CultureInfo ci = (CultureInfo)e.Item.DataItem

i get that  ci is null.

But in debug mode i see that "shownLanguages" have two itens (English and Portuguese).
What's wrong ?

Another thing is that in debug i get that CultureInfo currentLanguage = Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture;
is the english but mi page is backend is the PT translation page.

thanks again.

Hi JV,

You could check the e.Item.DataItem before you made the cast. Also this control cannot work on backend pages as I described in my previous posts. Since it inherits from the base class LanguageSelectorControl there could be some issues.
CurrentUICulture shows the culture that is used by resource manager for the user interface.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,
I have the same problem as you (The first problem).
In fact, I do not understand how you solved it.
Please, w
ill you explain with mors details.
Thanks.

Hi,

The exception only happens in the backend. If you ignore and publish the page and then navigate in the frontend the exception disappear.

Hi,

The exception exists if I put this url http://localhost:58632/nom_projet/ but if I put this url http://localhost:58632/nom_projet/fr/ or http://localhost:58632/nom_projet/en/ the exception does not exist.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Millaneli,

We were able to reproduce this issue locally. This issue is valid only for  Sitefinitys’ projects that are stored on the local file system (not through IIS) and launched using the built-in web server.

The issue is logged as a bug with ID  101947

Greetings,
Sonya
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jun-2011 00:00

I have this error when I tried to set the path of my custom control and I lunch the page.
Why?

Stefano

Hello Stefano,

Have you checked whether you have two controls with the same ID on the page or two instances  inside your control that use the same ID?

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Can you show me step by step how can I implement this control to create the languageSelector IT- DE -EN ?
Than you!

Stefano

Hi Stefano,

Most of the custom control is implemented here. What is not clear so I can provide further help?

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jul-2011 00:00

I don't understand where i can insert the code of the template and where the code of the custom control that it isn't an User Control so I can't do from my folder "Custom" this operation: "Add -> NewItem -> Web User Control".
I explained?

Hello Stefano,

1. Do you have duplicate Ids in the template? The error says that there are two controls with the same ID

2. As I see you use a user control, not a custom control which will not work. You need to create a class that inherits from LanguageSelectorControl.
Then override LayoutTemplateName and LayoutTemplatePath and register the template through VirtualPathProvider

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Yes, I have the error:

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The ID 'languagesRepeater' is already used by another control.

What can I do?

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jul-2011 00:00

I attach all my source code. Can you help me to find the error?

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jul-2011 00:00

Hello Stefano,

When you are registering the control you are setting a namespace which your control does not have. Please set namespace of your class.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jul-2011 00:00

I have resolve the problem with the namespace but I have a new error.

Stefano

Hi Stefano,

Try using

var settings = AppSettings.CurrentSettings;

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Now I have this error. And I have this WARNING:

Warning    1    Field 'LanguagesSelectorControl.WebControl.LanguageSelectorControlCustom.usedLanguages' is never assigned to, and will always have its default value null    C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Sitefinity 4.1\Projects\LanguageSelectorControl\LanguageSelectorControl.cs    77    35    LanguagesSelectorControl.WebControl

Warning    2    'LanguagesSelectorControl.WebControl.LanguageSelectorControlCustom.usedLanguages' hides inherited member 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Web.UI.LanguageSelectorControl.usedLanguages'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended.    C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Sitefinity 4.1\Projects\LanguageSelectorControl\LanguageSelectorControl.cs    77    35    LanguagesSelectorControl.WebControl

Warning    3    'LanguagesSelectorControl.WebControl.LanguageSelectorControlCustom.homePageNode' hides inherited member 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Web.UI.LanguageSelectorControl.homePageNode'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended.    C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Sitefinity 4.1\Projects\LanguageSelectorControl\LanguageSelectorControl.cs    78    26    LanguagesSelectorControl.WebControl

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2011 00:00

I had  "The ID 'languagesRepeater' is already used by another control." errror.
I want to show flags with image button instead of hyper link.

My template file :

01.<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
02.<%@ Register TagPrefix="sfFields" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields" %>
03.<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
05.<div runat="server" id="controlWrapper">
07.    <asp:Panel ID="errorsPanel" runat="server" CssClass="sfErrorSummary" />
09.    <sf:ConditionalTemplateContainer ID="sfLangSelectorConditionalTemplateContainer" runat="server">
10.        <Templates>
11.            <sf:ConditionalTemplate Left="SelectorType" Operator="Equal" Right="Horizontal" runat="server">
12.                <asp:Repeater ID="LanguagesRepeater" runat="server"
13.                    <ItemTemplate>
14.                            <li>
15.                            <asp:ImageButton ID="imgLnkButton" runat="server" />
16.                        </li>
17.                    </ItemTemplate
18.                </asp:Repeater>
19.            </sf:ConditionalTemplate>
20.            <sf:ConditionalTemplate Left="SelectorType" Operator="Equal" Right="Vertical" runat="server">
21.                <asp:Repeater ID="LanguagesRepeater" runat="server">
22.                    <HeaderTemplate>
23.                        <ul>
24.                    </HeaderTemplate>
25.                    <ItemTemplate>
27.                    </ItemTemplate>
28.                    <FooterTemplate>
29.                        </ul>
30.                    </FooterTemplate>
31.                </asp:Repeater>
32.            </sf:ConditionalTemplate>
33.            <sf:ConditionalTemplate Left="SelectorType" Operator="Equal" Right="DropDown" runat="server">
35.            </sf:ConditionalTemplate>
36.        </Templates>
37.    </sf:ConditionalTemplateContainer>
38.</div>

My custom control codes :

001.using System;
002.using System.Collections.Generic;
003.using System.Linq;
004.using System.Web;
005.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Web.UI;
006.using System.Globalization;
007.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration;
008.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Configuration;
009.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages;
010.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Abstractions;
011.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Model;
012.using System.Threading;
013.using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
014.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.UrlLocalizationStrategies;
015.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model;
016.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web;
017.using Telerik.Sitefinity;
018.using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI; 
020.namespace SitefinityWebApp
022.    public class MyLanguageSelector : LanguageSelectorControl
024.        private const string customLayoutTemplateName = "SitefinityWebApp.customcontrol.MyLanguageSelector.ascx";
025.        private const string customlayoutTemplatePath = "~/customcontrol/MyLanguageSelector.ascx";
027.        new private Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageNode homePageNode;
031.        protected override string LayoutTemplateName
033.            get
035.                return MyLanguageSelector.customLayoutTemplateName;
039.        public override string LayoutTemplatePath
041.            get
043.                return MyLanguageSelector.customlayoutTemplatePath;
047.        protected override void InitializeControls( GenericContainer container)
049.            //base.InitializeControls(container);
050.            var settings = AppSettings.CurrentSettings;
051.            List<CultureInfo> languages = new List<CultureInfo>();
052.            //if (this.MissingTranslationAction == NoTranslationAction.HideLink)
053.            //
054.            //    languages.AddRange(this.usedLanguages);
055.            //
056.            //else
057.            //
059.                languages.AddRange(settings.DefinedFrontendLanguages);
060.                PageManager pm = PageManager.GetManager();
061.                var homePageId = Config.Get<PagesConfig>().HomePageId;
062.                if (homePageId != Guid.Empty)
064.                    this.homePageNode = pm.GetPageNode(homePageId);
066.            //
067.            CultureInfo currentLanguage = Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture;
068.            IEnumerable<CultureInfo> shownLanguages;
069.            if (this.ShowCurrentLanguage == false && this.SelectorType != LanguageSelectorType.DropDown)
071.                shownLanguages = languages.Where(ci => ci.Equals(currentLanguage) == false);
073.            else
075.                shownLanguages = languages;
078.            this.LanguagesRepeater.DataSource = shownLanguages;
079.            this.LanguagesRepeater.ItemDataBound += new System.Web.UI.WebControls.RepeaterItemEventHandler(languagesRepeater_ItemDataBound);
080.            this.LanguagesRepeater.DataBind();
083.        protected void languagesRepeater_ItemDataBound(object sender, RepeaterItemEventArgs e)
085.            try
087.                if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem)
089.                    CultureInfo item = e.Item.DataItem as CultureInfo;
090.                    ImageButton imgLanguage = e.Item.FindControl("imgLnkButton") as ImageButton; 
093.                    imgLanguage.ImageUrl = "../images/" + item.TwoLetterISOLanguageName + ".png";
094.                    imgLanguage.ToolTip = item.DisplayName;
096.                    UrlLocalizationService s = ObjectFactory.Resolve<UrlLocalizationService>();
097.                    imgLanguage.PostBackUrl = s.ResolvePageUrl(this.node, item);
100.            catch (Exception ex)
102.                throw ex;
106.        private void GetCurrentPage()
108.            try
110.                var actualSitemapNode = SiteMapBase.GetActualCurrentNode();
112.                PageManager pm = PageManager.GetManager();
114.                var homePageId = Config.Get<PagesConfig>().HomePageId;
115.                //IEnumerable<CultureInfo> availableLanguages = null;
117.                Guid nodeId;
118.                if (actualSitemapNode != null)
120.                    nodeId = actualSitemapNode.Id;
122.                else
124.                    nodeId = homePageId;
128.                this.node = pm.GetPageNode(nodeId);
130.                //if (actualSitemapNode != null)
131.                //
132.                //    availableLanguages = actualSitemapNode.AvailableLanguages;
133.                //
134.                //else
135.                //
136.                //    availableLanguages = this.node.AvailableCultures;
137.                //
140.            catch (Exception ex)
142.                throw ex;

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Volkan,

We changes the template of the LanguageSelectorControl. There is a LanguageSelectorType here you can switch between the modes.

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sfFields" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>

<div runat="server" id="controlWrapper">

<asp:Panel ID="errorsPanel" runat="server" CssClass="sfErrorSummary" />

<sf:ConditionalTemplateContainer ID="sfLangSelectorConditionalTemplateContainer" runat="server">
        <Templates>
            <sf:ConditionalTemplate Left="SelectorType" Operator="Equal" Right="Horizontal" runat="server">
                <asp:Repeater ID="languagesRepeater_horizontal" runat="server">
                    <HeaderTemplate>
                        <ul id="langsWrapper" class="sflanguagesHorizontalList">
                    </HeaderTemplate>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                            <a runat="server" id="langLink" href="" class="sflanguageLnk"><span runat="server" id="langName"></span></a>
                        </li>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                    <FooterTemplate>
                        </ul>
                    </FooterTemplate>
            <sf:ConditionalTemplate Left="SelectorType" Operator="Equal" Right="Vertical" runat="server">
                <asp:Repeater ID="languagesRepeater_vertical" runat="server">
                    <HeaderTemplate>
                        <ul id="langsWrapper" class="sflanguagesVerticalList">
                    </HeaderTemplate>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                            <a runat="server" id="langLink" href="" class="sflanguageLnk"><span runat="server" id="langName"></span></a>
                        </li>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                    <FooterTemplate>
                        </ul>
                    </FooterTemplate>
            <sf:ConditionalTemplate Left="SelectorType" Operator="Equal" Right="DropDown" runat="server">
                <div class="sflanguagesDropDownList">
                    <asp:DropDownList runat="server" ID="langsSelect" CssClass="sflanguagesDropDown"></asp:DropDownList>
                </div>
        </Templates>
    </sf:ConditionalTemplateContainer>
</div>

Try using the VirtualPathProvider to register your template.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan,

I changed the template with yours. It's ok now. Thanks a lot.

This thread is closed