Back-end Localization

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 18:46

Back-end Localization

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2010 00:00

It is my understanding that SF will ship with 4 backend-languages included.

I guess DE will not make it and the languages will be EN/IT/FR/ES

However. Where will the backend user be able to switch languages or will this be a 'global' setting?

Markus

Hello Markus,

We will not include DE as a default language for the backend (Interface Labels & Messages), but Sitefinity 4.0 provides UI that you can use to translate all labels in a given language.

From Interface Labels & Messages and you create new labels, export and import language packs.

If you go to Sitefinity >>Administration >> Settings >> Basic >>Languages you can set languages for the backend system

From Advanced settings you can create a policy per role or per users where you can define backend cultures.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Ivan

In my RC SBE the language link does nothing!

Is this because ther is only one language at the moment, or does the SBE not include the possibility to change the backend language.

Markus

PS: Not including DE - Every language you include will make Sitefinity more valubale to the market. So what we end up is, that every German, Austrian and Swiss will translate it themselves and share stuff - I shure would hope that Telerik would spend some time and money to get the back and professionally translated.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Markus,

In Small Business Edition there is no multilingual support.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2010 00:00

Dear Ivan

I was under the impression that the SBE would not have localization in terms of front end pages.

From what you write I take it that alos the backend localization is not an option. Is this really the case?

Can you answer this questions with true or false:

No backend localization out of the box for SBE?

No manually backend localization possible for SBE?

SBE can not have different backend languages?

Regards Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2010 00:00

Dear Ivan
Dear Radoslav

Anything on this?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Markus,

Thank you for raising this question again. I have made a short investigation on this.

Currently backend localization is not working for SBE, but we have this scheduled and we will have it working shortly after the official release. So on your questions:

No backend localization out of the box for SBE?
Currently true, but will turn into false shortly after the official release.

No manually backend localization possible for SBE?

SBE can not have different backend languages?

Best regards,
Grisha 'Greg' Karanikolov
Sitefinity Solutions Consultant

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Nov-2010 00:00

@Greg

Thanks a lot.

Since you have found the right person to ask about it two additional questions

a) Will SE and up have backend localization from the start in January?

b) What langues can we expect?

My guess would be (EN/FR/IT/ES) but was hopping also for DE

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello Markus,

Sitefinity 4.0 Standard Edition already has backend localization enabled. The backend localization for Small Business Editions doesn't work as expected, which will be fixed.

We are currently arranging matters for the localizations. I have been informed that we will have German for sure.

I will keep this thread updated whenever I get any updates on the topic.

Best regards,
Sitefinity Solutions Consultant

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Dec-2010 00:00

@Greg

Yeeehaaa. That would be the greatest news for me since the whole SF 4.0 pricing stuff startet.

@Telerik

Anyone can confirm this, that at least the backend localization is planned for January AND German will be one of the languages.

Regards Markus

PS: Sure hope Telerik would reconsider the frontend localization for SBE since there is

a) a page limit to cut it down anyhow
b) not only Swizterland, Canada, Belgium and many other coutries with more than one language spoken.

And I would hate to see all small business in these countries to be in a disatvantage vs. all pure US customers.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello Markus ,

We are not done with the planning for January and cannot commit to a date.
If we promise an exact date, we might mislead you.

Having backend localization in SBE is in the plans for Q1 (ending in March).

All the best,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Dec-2010 00:00

Dear Kalina

Is German on the plans as well?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Markus,

I confirm that German language pack for the backend is in the plans for Official release.

All the best,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2010 00:00

@Kalina

This is excellent news. Jeeepee eyeee yeeeh :-)

Hope the SBE back-end localization will be available soon after.

Telerik just scored a big point with me :-)

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi all
Our company have bougth licence for Sitefinity 4.0 Standart edition

We have troubles with backend localization
We use Russia language in backend and have troubles with it. Some mords are not translated.

when i want to translate it I can't find labels in Adminisration-> Intarface Labels & message wich i want to localize 
for example "Full news item".

What is the problem is this is set in the source code

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Anton,

This is most probably coded in the template, which means that it can be changed. We will move it to the interface labels section though.
p.s. @Markus - the list of languages that will be provided with Q1 is available here - http://www.sitefinity.com/asp-net-cms-features/roadmap.aspx

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2011 00:00

@Georgi

Thanks for the update - I saw that. My last response was from mid Dezember. I think that Telerik has made a huge step into the right direction with the backend transleted inhouse. Again this is worth the SBE Price any time because now you can can have people use SF who are not so fluent in english.

Especially in Web Publishing terms.

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to Q1 a lot.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi all,

Is backend localization available in SBE with Q1 ?
Thanks

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

Yes this is supported. You can import any of the language packs for the back-end, but you can only have 1 language.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Hi Georgi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
With the SB Edition I feel that I am not able to select the langage so in the import dialog box I have the only choice : English.
After having succesfully imported the french backend localization file I have a mix of french and english in the backend interface.
For instance, the main menu is still in english (Dashboard, Pages, Content, Types of content, Administration, User management, Settings and configuration...).
See the screenshot attached...

I have also opened the localization file that I have imported and found that some phrase are missing (ex : "Settings & configurations") while other are there but still appears in english in the interface (ex : "Filter pages")

Any idea ?

Thanks

Vincent

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Vincent,

Which version of Sitefinity are you using? The localizations fully translate the Sitefinity 4.1 backend interface, however with earlier versions not all labels are localizable. I suspect that this is the issue.
The Sitefinity backend localizations work efficiently on Sitefinity builds 1280 and after. Which one is yours? You can check that on the page Version & Licensing in your administrative backend.

Regards,
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Greg,

It is a fresh upgrade from build 1210 to 1339.
I haven't tested backend localization with previous builds.

Regards
Vincent

This thread is closed