wcf services not working under IIS 5.1

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 17:19

wcf services not working under IIS 5.1

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2010 00:00

I have created a new Sitefinity project under IIS 5.1 (Windows XP). But a lot of functions don't work when administering my website under IIS. However, they work fine when using the build-in developer server of the Sitefinity project manager.

After digging into this I found out that none of the WCF services work and return the error: "The resource cannot be found" (like http://localhost/MySite/Sitefinity/Services/Pages/PagesService.svc/). Even my own WCF (non-REST)service is not working under Sitefinity, but works fine in a separate non-Sitefinity project under IIS.

In IIS I checked the application extension mappings for wildcard (*) and added mapping for .svc (as I did for non-Sitefinity project), but this didn't solve the problem here. How can i get the wcf services to work, so I can administer it under IIS 5.1 (6.0)?

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Jeroen ,

Try creating a  script map for .svc manually through IIS. Make sure your script mapping for .svc is using aspnet_isapi.dll from .net 2.0 folder (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll). Add svc extension, for all verbs. IIS-hosted services can only use the HTTP transport. Its implementation in IIS 5.1 has introduced some limitations in Windows XP. The message-based activation provided for an WCF service by IIS 5.1 on Windows XP blocks any other self-hosted WCF service on the same computer from using port 80 to communicate. IIS 6.0 can share port 80 with other self-hosted WCF services running on the same machine, unlike IIS 5.1.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Nov-2010 00:00

Hi Ivan,

I've already mapped .svc (as described in my first post), but this doesn't make a difference. But when I remove the wildcard script map (.* extension mapped to aspnet_isapi.dll on all verbs), the .svc files work perfect, but this stops the "virtual" pages created with Sitefinity (like http://localhost/MySite/Home) from working.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Jeroen,

It seems to be a problem with IIS 5.1itself. It looks like if you have a wildcard script map to the Isapi Module it messes up mappings to extensions such as .svc and does not serve them properly. I have been able to reproduce this problem in a project which is not Sitefinity based. On Windows XP you have to use the integrated development server of Sitefinity's project manager or VS's development server. You can also check our system requirements page. IIS 5.1 is not supported officially.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed