User Profile Information

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:52

User Profile Information

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Nov-2010 00:00

Hey guys,

I'd like to know if I have the ability to extend the user profile information. What exactly is being used for the user store? Is it there any sort of ASP .Net Membership involved?

Another related question, I'd like to know if I have the ability to grant read-only access to a specific section of a the website to a particular group of users (e.g. allow members of a website access to a secure area for viewing data). Is this at all possible?

Hello Jesse,

You can get and set only existing profile keys. Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.Profile is not a dynamic type and currently you cannot create a new property for it. We will not be able to implement Profile as dynamic type for the official release.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hey Ivan,

Thanks for you response on this. I'm not sure if I'm understanding you so clearly. So there is no way of granting the access to someone is that what you're saying? What about the read-only access to a particular website? Reason I'm asking it's because I'd like to manage some the security of my client's information so that is an option we are looking at.

Hello Jesse,

We have  a custom provider - ProfileDataProvider that uses Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.ProfileManager class.

I'd like to know if I have the ability to grant read-only access to a specific section of a the website to a particular group of users (e.g. allow members of a website access to a secure area for viewing data). Is this at all possible?

Yes, you can create a role an give it only "View" rights for a given object of the CMS - page, content, module.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hey Ivan,

Thanks again.

What is the ProfileDataProvider, I'm not sure that you are referring to? Just need some clarity for the read only access, is it that I'm required to modify the pages in each “section” individually for those that I want to grant access to or is it a read only access for all objects of type page for a role?

Hello Jesse,

ProfileDataProvider is the base abstract  class for a Profile Data Provider used in Sitefinity 4.0. It provides base profile members/methods like CreateProfile, GetProfile etc.

To grant only "View" access to a given page or group of pages you have to do the following

1. Create a role
2. Put all users in this role
3. From Sitefinity/Pages you can click on Actions >> Permissions from where you can define who is allow to manage your pages

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed