Sorting of just about anything

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 16:29

Sorting of just about anything

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Dec-2010 00:00

Documents

I am trying to sort content in my development site and it is proving to be elusive.  For example, when I add a list of documents to a page the option is given to sort the list of documents as they are sorted in the document library.  However, when I apply a custom sort to the library it is not applied in the document list widget on a page.

Is the reason for this the fact that the custom sorting preferences for a document library is failing to be persisted?  Because I have noticed after I create a custom sort, click the save button and navigate away from the documents page then navigate back, the custom sort is not there.
Pages in a Navigation Control
Another instance where sorting is not being applied is in a Navigation widget.  When I drop a Navigation widget on a page and select the parent page, the list of pages is generated but it is not sorted according to the sort order that has been applied in the Pages admin tool.
Generic Content
Does not appear to be sortable...at all.
Suggestions
The correct ordering of content is a basic requirement.  In the case of news and blog articles, it is natural to sort them by date but other content should have the ability to have the sort order specified by the user.  As is the case with pages, shouldn't we have the ability to change the sequence of an item, be it a document, image or generic content item?
I am attaching a couple of screen shots to illustrate my issues.
Thanks,
Bryan

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello Bryan,

Thanks for taking the time to prepare such a detailed report on the problems with sorting.
These have been logged and we will fix them in some of the coming weekly releases.

We will also assign a task to retest all places in the system when sorting is applied and fix all problems.
You are right - this behavior is very important.

I added 100 points to your account as a sign of gratitude for your help.

All the best,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Dec-2010 00:00

Thanks Kalina,

Does Telerik intend to provide a solution for sorting generic content?  I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this kind of functionality would be very useful.

Thanks for your reply!

Bryan

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Bryan,

We are planning to have a Designer for the Content list widget (#101288).
It will include options to set filtering and sorting.

This is in the plans for Q1.

Kind regards,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2011 00:00

Has there been any movement on my original issue?  I know it's been a month and we're on RC2 but I am experiencing the same issue.  It is becoming difficult to justify building custom controls and designers for what should be OOTB functionality.

Thanks,
Bryan

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Bryan,

As mentioned previously those tasks are planned for Q1. Unfortunately there is no progress on that yet.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed