What else is missing from 4.0?

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 06:05

What else is missing from 4.0?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2010 00:00

I'm planning our migration from Sitefinity 3.7 to 4.0 and was surprised to find several important features/modules missing from the RC build.  After searching several forum post, it appears that some of these may be included in the final release, some are not planned until later releases, and some may have been replaced with a different approach.

Is there any documentation which features from 3.7 are not in the 4.0 RC build and which are not planned to be included in the final release.

As best I can tell, it appears the following features/modules are not in the RC build:

Breadcrumb
Search Control
Generic Content Link from Content Block
Forums Module
Newsletter Module
Lists Module
Site Menu (Replaced with a Navigation Widget?)
Load Balancing (Only Professional or Enterprise Versions)

Are there any more that I'm not aware of?

I would appreciate a list of any other missing features and an estimate for when any missing feature is planned to be included.  If the feature is going to be discontinued or replaced with another similar feature please explain the recommended approach to achieve similar functionality.

Thanks,

Al

@alo

I don't know how much of this was in 3.7 but I sure know I was expecting some of it in 4.0.

Sub-Domain Handling
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/handling-subdomains-in-4-0.aspx
Kalina -> This functionality will be supported after the official release.

Links to Internal and External Pages
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/link-to-external-and-internal-pages.aspx
Kalina -> we will try to implement it in Q1.

Backend Localization
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/back-end-localization.aspx
Grisha -> Currently backend localization is not working for SBE, but we have this scheduled and we will have it working shortly after the official release

Oracle & MySQL
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/sf-4-0-oracle-mysql-support.aspx
Kalina -> scheduled for either Q1(ending in April) or Q2(ending in July) of 2011

Default Layout Templates
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/the-default-layout-templates.aspx
Ivan -> We will have it after the official release

Back-End Localization SBE
http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/back-end-localization.aspx
Kalina - Having backend localization in SBE is in the plans for Q1 (ending in March).

Markus

Yeah, I'd be interested in the answers to alo's list too. Waiting on some of this functionality for an SF4 project we're working on.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Albert,

Missing is also Polls, Wiki modules.
The search for example is going to appear in the official release. We will progressively add the rest of the missing features - they are not forbidden for sure. 

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2011 00:00

I have to say, for the price increase there was a lot that didn't make it into the official release. I personally was embarrassed when I doing a demo and got the not yet implemented popup on adding a library from the upload image. Kinda hard to sell a high end project when they see things like that. That is in the Official release... would it not have been better to take that out?

JT

Hey Georgi,
  I hope Wiki's can go on the backburner and be implemented with common WikiMarkup instead of the hacked in generic content blocks most .net CMSs have...

Please :)
Steve

Don't get me wrong... I still love sitefinity and it is my favorite product to work in... just a little disappointed. I agree with the wiki suggestion. 

Two biggest things I would like to see soon is the Polls and the ability to add external sites to the navigation widget or pages grid.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi John,

I agree for the Wikis as well.
The external pages will make it to the next release - Q1. The Polls module will be most probably based on the Forms module with some Analytics in the backend. We are still thinking how it should be implemented.

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello, 

Do you know when the Polls will be added to Sitefinity 4.1?

Thanks!

Viktoriya

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Viktoriya,

We still do not have a time frame for them, but we might be able to do it by the end of the year. Otherwise, you may incorporate some Reporting solution with the Forms module.

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jul-2011 00:00

I just installed Sitefinity v. 4.1 SP3 and I still am unable to see the Polls module.  Is the Polls module supposed to be included in this release or will it only re-appear after Sitefinity v. 4.2?

I have an existing Sitefinity v. 3.7 site that I would like to migrate that is currently using Polls and it seems that I would be completely roadblocked from migrating without this feature being in place.

Please advise.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jul-2011 00:00

Hi Samir Vaidya,

Please refer to my previous reply in this forum thread. 

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Georgi,

We are going to use Sitefinity 4.2 Enterprise edition. Currently we are using its trial version.

In most of the documents, features like Polls, Forums, Newsletters are explained for older versions and not for 4.2

So do we assume that it'll be included in commercial (enterprise edition) version?

I think skipping such good features in latest version will not be a wise decision.

Kindly help us in this as it will reduce our development time and most important cost to client.

Thanks,
Swati Bhatia

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2011 00:00

@Swati

Polls atm can be replicated with Forms (albeit a hack...), we have newsletters whos UI will be re-vamped shortly, and a forums module is in the marketplace if need be

I think those above three items can be on the back-burner as they're "fluff" compared to the module-builder UI on the way...that's a HUGE step forward for the CMS, and will translate into HUGE HUGE HUGE cost saving and value to our clients.  Building a module from scratch right now sucks a bit (ton of code)...so they will be able to build and define their own types without us needing to do it for them!

**EDIT**
(No pressure @Georgi)

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Swati,

Steve is correct, the Forms module can be used as polls at this point.

Forums - there is a nice solution here - http://www.sitefinity.com/marketplace/modules/ct-forums-for-sitefinity-4.aspx

Newsletters - this is already available, but renamed and extended to Mail Campaigns module.

Just a small addition to the Steve's statement about the content type builder module - this will not only save time to end users, but to the developers that should deliver the web site to their customers. 

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

This thread is closed