Sitefinity 4.0 UserControl Properties WebEditor

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 02:12

Sitefinity 4.0 UserControl Properties WebEditor

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi all,

I have created a User Control in Sitefinity 4.0 and was looking for information on how to attach WebEditor Property Selectors to the Properties of my User Control.

In the past, i have decorated the property with a WebEditor attribute, As follows...

[WebEditor("Telerik.Libraries.WebControls.ImageSelector, Telerik.Libraries")]
public string ImageUrl get; set;

This code compiles fine in Sitefinity 4.0, but there is no image select button next to the ImageUrl field in the control editor. I expect this is done differently now?

I've had a look around for answers, and most of the current information i can find relates to 3.x,

If anyone has, or knows where to find information related to WebEditor property selectors in Sitefinity 4.0, please share :)

Cheers

Haydn

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Haydn,

You should have custom control designer. The current implementation does not allow you to open a WebEditor from page properties of the control. You can take a look at How to create a widget tutorial and this sample.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi 

When will the WebEditor be implemented in the Release? The custom controls are a quite coding-overhead for simple controls...

Thanks and regards

Florian

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Florian,

As of now we don't plan to extend this area of the product.

However, Q2 released in Juky will come with a lot of extensiblity improvements.
I have logged your request (ID#39037) and we will review it on the Q2 planning meeting.

Greetings,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jul-2011 00:00

Hello,

Web editors are now implemented in Q2 Sitefinity?

Best Regards

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jul-2011 00:00

Hello Eb,

You have to expose the web editor in the Control Designer. It is not possible to open it from a property under Advanced tab. Please take a look at

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jul-2011 00:00

How come that this old way of extending the functionality of user controls was abandoned? It seems like a delight to use the old method instead of the cumbersome "Write a custom control with a designer"-method of Sitefinity 4.

Best Regards
/Magnus

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jul-2011 00:00

Hi Sungamrammah,

Actually there is no big differences if you will add a designer or add an attribute. The problem is related to the interface of the advanced section. Furthermore it is quite inconvenient for an end user to go to control properties and select button that opens a dialog. Generally the name of the property does not make sense for a business user  that will use the control.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jul-2011 00:00

You have a point there Ivan. I finally managed to get a little Hello Sitefinity Custom Control going, and the presentation to the end user is ofc much nicer.

Before actually swapping CMS I feel that I want to be able to do a little customization myself. Unfortunately my programming background is all wrong, mostly machine code and a little C#.

Anyway, as some kind of semi-pro programmer with a beginners eyes regarding Sitefinity and JS, I can tell you that.. I was surprised over how many lines are needed to make a "Select Image" Property Editor.  I still can't make that one work, but i will read some more about them MediaContentSelectorViews and give it another go.

Thanks for your Patience even though i'm just a Trialist.
/Magnus

This thread is closed