Licensing For Sub Domains

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:05

Licensing For Sub Domains

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Dec-2010 00:00

We are looking for a CMS tool that will allow us to create sub domains for our users and give them the ability to edit their own content. So http://www.ourdomain.com/user1  or http://user1.ourdomain.com would have complete control of their content. What licensing model would we use?

Thanks,
Scott

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Dec-2010 00:00

It's difficult to say without knowing how many users you expect to support, the traffic you expect to generate, and the number of concurrent users that may be logged in at any time. From the sound of it, you'll be constrained by concurrency. If the users are not related to each other (i.e., not company employees, where the occasional "all licenses in use right now, wait until later" is acceptable) you almost have to go with the enterprise version. Unless you have 10 or less users of course.

In case you hadn't already looked at the 4.0 matrix, here it is:
http://www.sitefinity.com/purchase/license-comparison.aspx

You can set up your URL's either way you described - it won't change the licensing as the license applies to a single top level domain with unlimited sub-domains. Of course in your first example, you don't have sub-domains at all.

Good luck!

Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

With a "Standard" licence I would be able to install Sitefinity to as many subdomains as I want. These can be separate applications/separate DBs, and the concurrent CMS users limitation would apply to each installation separately.

So I could have:

etc.

And I could have a total of 15 concurrent CMS users (5 for each site).

Is this correct?

What if I have my 3 separate Sitefinity applications that share a single database? Does this change anything?

Thanks.

While I don't work for Sitefinity, I can tell you that I've been following this closely. As pointed out in this thread, the concurrent user count spans ALL sub-domains. I haven't seen anything to indicate that working with multiple databases will get you around this issue. This is my two cents.

It's a major inconvenience. If you haven't read through that thread, I would encourage you to do so. 

If they had limited concurrency to "users actually using the back-end" versus "users who have access to the back end" it wouldn't be an issue for most organizations, but that's not how they chose to implement/price it.

In your specific scenario, you almost need unlimited if you're reselling space or something because you can't afford to have someone get blocked because too many licenses are in use.

Hi Lorne,

I'd like to confirm that indeed with a Sitefinity 4.0 Standard Edition license you can deploy unlimited number of instances of Sitefinity on sub domains like

http://a.MyTopLevelDomain.com
http://b.MyTopLevelDomain.com
http://c.MyTopLevelDomain.com

If each of these subdomains will hold a separate Sitefinity installation, connected to separate database, then indeed each instance of Sitefinity will have a separate count of concurrent users - in this particular example - 15.

If you have 3 instances of Sitefinity that use the same database, that means that you actually have the same Sitefinity website accessed through 3 subdomains.
It's like having 3 TV sets in your home all displaying the same channel - it doesn't really matter which TV you're in front of - you're seeing the same thing, because all of them display content from the same source.
Since the Sitefinity instances share the same data from the database, these instances will also keep track of logged in users on any of these sites and the concurrent users count here is 5.

A Sitefinity website keeps all its data in the database, . If you have several installations of Sitefinity use the same database ( mind you, use the same database, not just take data from some tables using providers), they will display the same content and as logged users data is also stored in the database, they will all use that data to count the users too.

Best regards,
Grisha 'Greg' Karanikolov
Sitefinity Solutions Consultant

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Dec-2010 00:00

In this thread it was reported: "Telerik has stated to me in an email from their sales team that the Concurrent users span across ALL sub domains. Meaning, if your license allows 5, and you have 10 sub domains, your limit is 5 for all ten, not 5 per sub domain (equaling in effect 50)."

Perhaps this was specific to a single database setup though...

It would be nice if someone from Sitefinity would chime in on this.

It would HAVE to be like that...I mean otherwise how would any database know about any other in order to maintain that concurrent count.  The only way would be everytime someone logs in it would call back to telerik to maintain that count, and I just can't see that happening :)

@Stormy - this might have been the case there.
@Steve - absolutely correct. Independent instances of Sitefinity do not know of each other.

Best regards,
Grisha 'Greg' Karanikolov
Sitefinity Solutions Consultant

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2012 00:00

Hello Grisha,

I`d like to know if I have a website that is going to have multiple domains and in each sub-domains, what would be the licensing mechanism for this?

We do have single website ready for the domains like:
abcwebsite.com
 - xx.abcwebsite.com
 - yy.abcwebsite.com
xyzwebsite.com
 - xx.xyzwebsite.com
 - yy.xyzwebsite.com

Please let me know asap, what do we need to do for this?

Hello Grisha,

I`d like to know if I have a website that is going to have multiple domains and in each sub-domains, what would be the licensing mechanism for this?

We do have single website ready for the domains like:
abcwebsite.com
 - xx.abcwebsite.com
 - yy.abcwebsite.com
xyzwebsite.com
 - xx.xyzwebsite.com
 - yy.xyzwebsite.com

Please let me know asap, what do we need to do for this?

@Saad
  It's a domain license, so ALL subdomains are covered :)

This thread is closed