Missing the old 3.7 layout

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 10:16

Missing the old 3.7 layout

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Dec-2010 00:00

I don't know if I don't see or simply miss it.

I liked the old 3.7 layout (Sitemap left, content or properties in middle)

Why: If you want to adjust all titels of a site for SEO now you have to click on every page and then action. Before you had a so much direct access to stuff.

I also think that when you create a page descripton and keywords should be where the Title is. And description should be open. Sorry but every page needs a title and a description. So why not do it right on creation. Now you have another extra click and users will tend to forget it. (Yes you can filter for pages without description, but still ...)

Yes the GUI is clean but in general I feel like ther are more clicks needed to do stuff.

Am I missing something. If no, am I the only one feeling this way?

Markus

PS: Is the alternative URL's not implemented or am I looking at the wrong place?

Hi Markus,

This is behind our decision for the Pages interface:

1) Having sitemap to the left was inconvenient in cases when the sitemap was too big or page titles were too long (scrolls appeared on such occasions).
Working with pages in the middle only gives us more space to position different filtering options in the right pane as well.

2) In regards to adding Titles and Properties on many pages simultaneously we are planning to introduce Batch Editing operation. When this functionality is there, it will allow users to select many pages and edit the titles and descriptions for all in one step.

3) As to having Page Description and Keywords closed and separately from Title, this was our reasoning:
creating pages usually happens in two stages:
stage 1: Pages are created (by information architect, front end developer, developer)
site is developed
stage 2: Page Description and Keywords are updated according to unified SEO strategy (by marketing, SEO expert. etc.)
We didn't want to expand more steps and make this screen longer for users engaged in step 1.

As to alternative URLs - these will be implemented very soon.

Thanks for bringing these topics for discussion. We are open to suggestions and hearing what you all think about this set up.

Kind regards,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Dear Kalina

Sorry - don't see it that way.

1) http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/splitter/examples/default/defaultcs.aspx would have done the trick.
   We will see more and more 1920 x 1080 but most sites will be still optmized for 1024 - so you would have 900 Pixel to work with left and right. You could have made the pane go in an out.

Kind of having the best of both worlds. I think sometimes developers get so used to products that they are what we call company blind. You should have regular people work with SF and watch them - You would learn a lot from this.

2) The function is just a workaround for something we had and was to me very convenient

3) Give me a break. This a total assumption on your part and I would say this is another example how you look at your target cusomters. Not all of your cusomters are big companies.

And even if all were big - it still be good to have an initial fill for description and there is more then enough room.
So for all other not in you scenario they have an extra click.

Extra URL. Good to hear.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Markus,

I understand your point and it was communicated to our UX team.
We will make sure we stress the scenarios you outline in the next series of usability tests with users.

Also, we will welcome feedback form other clients here, in this forum thread.

As always, thanks for your detailed explanations and for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

Regards,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed