Save images/documents in filesystem

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 15:38

Save images/documents in filesystem

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Dec-2010 00:00

How to you go about if you want to save the stuff on the filesystem instead of the DB.

Improvements I would like to see over 3.7

- create an folder for each album created
- save stuff in original version image.jpg, text.docx (prompt if name exists)

This would enable to replace content easely.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Markus,

Implementing File Storage for Libraries is in the list of implementations planned after the official release.
I logged your requests under this feature.

I believe they are quite valuable.

Thank you! 

Regards,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Dec-2010 00:00

I logged your request ....

Can't we simply just expect to have at least 3.7 funtionality on 4.0? Just one more thing thats not going to be on the 4.0 release that we had on 3.7

For me without this it's simply a no go in shared hosting envirement, because I can have 25 GB of WebSpace for the same price of 100 MB MS SQL space.

This was about the biggest improvement to me in 3.7 (SP 3 if I remember correct).

To me 4.1 or even 4.2 will probably be the entry point. Unfortunately I would have to buy the licenses now to take advantages of the old pricing model and upgrade 1/2 year later.

Markus

Roadmap really should have been:
January - Alpha
March - Beta
June - RC
July 4.0

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Markus,

Catching up with features is in our plans for the first half of year 2011.

At this moment,  storing files on alternative storage (file system, Amazon S3) is planned for Q2.

We are open to discussion and if a lot of people request it, we will raise the priority more.

Greetings,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Dec-2010 00:00

@all

So guys (and girls) if you want to see this 3.7 feature sooner then summer 2011 - speak up!

Markus

PS: I think I was not so wrong about my roadmap ;-)

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Dec-2010 00:00

Personally for me this is OK standard version small site but the option to store these files on amazon or azure would be more than useful before summer of 2011.

Following the marketing and release cycles Sitefinity 4.0 has gone through over 2 years are still fascinated by what has been removed and what is missing sometimes feeling like a roll-back.

Until Sitefinity is in pits do not hold your breath, pick a date any date add 3 months multiply by 2 then add 28 days not forgetting to cross your fingers.

Looking forward to the final release of version 4 before I commit beyond the free upgrade.

Best Regards,

Neil

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Dec-2010 00:00

@Markus

Yes, this is a show-stopper for my migration plans too.

My 3.7 sites all use filesystem storage, for all of the reasons mentioned (and a problem with uploading large blobs in 3.7) so I can't consider migrating until this 3.7 feature is implemented.

However, the 3.7 implementation could do with some improvements, and the ones mentioned ring a bell with me.

While not directly linked, I also have problems with customers wanting to upload very large files (the reason for using filesystem storage) using ADSL connections, which creates all of the expected timeout issues. 

In 3.7 this requires messing about changing the defaults for executionTimeout and sessionState timeout , which is something I'm always reluctant to do, for possible security issues.

It would be good if V4 could eliminate the need to mess about with the ASP.NET defaults by providing settings to be applied programmatically at run-time to the upload process.

Also, it would be nice if the upload utilities could access files from admin specified locations on the server, so that a separate FTP option could be used for the upload grunt-work, and then the files imported once uploaded.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jan-2011 00:00

I too could do with s3 support sooner rather than later.  I've been forced to move to 4 as I can't buy a 3.7 license now - so on top of having to migrate all of a sudden my s3 supports not there.

Please up the priority :)

Hi,

We will provide support for S3 on a later stage. We will have it around Q2.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

@Tony Bolton: I've been forced to move to 4 as I can't buy a 3.7 license now

Not that I'm buying right now, but I would have thought that given some of the missing V3.7 features, perhaps taking a leaf out of the MS play-book, and providing some form of "downgrade rights" might offer a temporary solution.

e.g. You buy a V4 licence, but you have the right to deploy a V3.7 site with it, if you find that V4 is not suitable to your immediate needs, and then upgrade/migrate to V4 when you are happy the latest Q-n release has what you need.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2011 00:00

This is a must-have feature in my opinion, especially if a site is heavy on image/video/document resources (as ours is) and a CDN is necessary .  Any word on if this will be implemented sooner that Q2?

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello,

The task is planned for Q2. If we manage to do it earlier the feature will appear in the internal builds.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

I second MB with his suggestion about the license downgrade. why?

I have a site that is running on 3.7 and has a lot of custom modules. The client asked me if i could create a duplicate of the website but with a new look and feel. My response was negative in the timeframe that he gave me because i either have to upgrade the first site to 4.0 then make a duplicate or start the second website from scratch.

Hi guys,

Sitefinity 3.x licenses are no longer available for sale. However, if you purchase a Sitefinity 4.0 Standard Edition license at its list price, you can request access to an older product version such as Sitefinity 3.7. This way you can build the website now in version 3.7 and upgrade later to version 4.0.

Please, contact our sales department at sales@sitefinity.com with such requests.  

All the best,

Anton
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Mar-2011 00:00

This coupled with the missing file explorer for image insertion is a huge hole for us. I might've been able to wait for libraries to store to the file system if I could at least go to insert an image into a content block and have selecting images already on the filesystem as an option, but with both missing, I can't really deploy a site in 4.0.

J

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello Julia Essex,

As a temporary solution, you could use built-in Image Manager provided by RadEditor. To achieve this, you need to implement your own Content Block (overriding ContentBlock base control) and a designer for it (overriding ControlDesignerBase). For more details please refer to the following forum thread: Document Manager - Insert from file system

Regarding external providers for Libraries, they are planned for Q2.

Let us know if you need any additional help.

Greetings,
Pepi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jun-2011 00:00

Thanks Pepi. How certain is this file system provider going to be in the July 25 +/- date? It is vital to our needs and we would like to rely on it actually making it to the release. In the roadmap it says:

Support for alternative file storage: file system(Amazon S3 and Azure tentatively postponed for the next release) 
This feature will optimize the space and performance of systems with large amounts of files. File storage will be more efficient and scalable with those options at hand.

Can we request this to be in an internal build for confirmation and so we may provide feedback on it before the official release of it?

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Basem,

The file system provider is certain. It is already in process of implementation.

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jul-2011 00:00

Ok. Q2 is out now. I can't find any info on how to implement this.....

Q2 - really?

I thought that Q2 was not due until next month.

I can only find Q1-SP3 in my download area ??

Edit: Q1 in this case refers to 4.1

Perhaps I'm mistaken. I guess I am confused since all of the announcements and the downloads page refer to the version (4.1 SP3 or 4.1.1574) and nowhere is it listed by the quarter. Isn't July in the 3rd quarter of the year for most of us??

Anyway, perhaps this is my mistake. I will attempt to find patience. :) It's just that I have a site I'm committed to taking live next week (we picked that date based on the next SF upgrade release date), and I'll have release without this and convert by hand when it becomes available. Hours of tedium.....

I believe that the "Q" nomenclature is primarily used for the base products such as AJAX Controls etc.

Sitefinity is refered to by the version -  4.n etc - but the minor version releases coincide with the "Q" releases, which makes it really confusing at times as to what is what.

If I recall, the "Q" term is historical (when Telerik actually produced 4 major releases per year) and doesn't refer to "quarter" any more. I agree that "Q" is misleading, and suggested in the past that it should be renamed R1, R2, R3  or something like that.

Anyway, as I understand it... 4.1-SP3 was just released - I believe primarily a security patch.

According to the video I watched of the upcoming eCommerce module (which looks good) 4.2 is due for release first week of August... but of course, as we all know by now, that means before midnight 7th August... LOL.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Jul-2011 00:00

I swear I saw in the release notes on Monday that Support for alternative file storage: file system was added, but now when I go back, there's no mention of it.

So, has this feature been added in this SP or not?

Hi Suzanne,

No, we haven't added this feature in the last service pack. We are going to add it in the 4.2 version.

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

When is 4.2 scheduled for release?  Based on the release notes for SP3 I reviewed last week, I told my client this was going to be implemented with this release.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jul-2011 00:00

Dear Suzane

The week of 25th July was the initial target release for 4.2. Save on file was to my knowledge never an issue for an SP. SP3 was not even anounced to my knowledge. 

Because a SP3 was introduced (and probably other reasons :-)) the release of 4.2 has been pushed to the first half of August.

http://www.sitefinity.com/asp-net-cms-features/roadmap.aspx

If for any reason you would have to give a date to a customer a would advice End of August .You never know what might happen :-)

Markus

This thread is closed