customize Edit A Page screen

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 20:31

customize Edit A Page screen

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Dec-2010 00:00

We would like to customize the Edit A Page screen.  I have looked through the documentation and the database pretty extensively and I cannot tell where to start.  Can you point me in the right direction?

(The screen I am talking about customizing is the one where the user drags widgets into content place holders and has the following buttons across the top:  Publish, Save As Draft, Preview, More Actions)

Thank you.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello Phil,

Can you send a list of the modifications that you want to make.
Most probably the different modifications will require different approaches.

Thanks!
All the best,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Let's start with this one:
 - hide the Publish button and make it a link in another location on the page.

Thanks

Hello Phil,

The whole menu with action buttons for pages can be managed in Sitefinity Workflow.
You can apply different styles to those action buttons. However, these should all stay within the top menu.

We will have more detailed documentation on Workflow and how to manage buttons after the official release in January. Our team is focused on fixes for the coming release right now and has not been able to cover this topic in the documentation.

I hope that this is not critical for your implementation.

Greetings,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I appreciate that you are not supporting that right now. 'Ya cant support ALL the crazy stuff people want to do!

Just in case there is anyone else out there that is interested in this in the short term, here is what I did to 1.) hide the Publish button and 2.) make a new link (that we can then position more or less where we want it) that does what the Publish button does.

1.)  I made a user control that has jQuery in it that applies a style w visibilty:hidden to the div that the buttons are in.  I found the div ("ctl06_ctl00_toolbarWrapper") by doing View Page Source

<style type="text/css">
.divHidden
visibility:hidden;
</style>

<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function()
              $("#ctl06_ctl00_toolbarWrapper").addClass("divHidden");
                  )        
</script>

then 2.) I used Fiddler to see what the Publish button was doing.  It hits a Service running in the web site where Edit-A-Page is running.  (btw, there is some fairly good documentation that is returned when you hit this Service incorrectly.)   You have to send a PUT, w content-type = json; with the guid for the page and a type in the querystring of the URI, like this:
$(document).ready(function()
                  // put an event on the word Publish
                  $("a#aPublish").click(function(event)
                  event.preventDefault();
                  $.ajax(
                    type:"PUT",
                  url:'http://localhost:50717/Sitefinity/Sitefinity/Services/Workflow/WorkflowService.svc/MessageWorkflow/2f33ea01-f575-43b0-889a-96446a275b99/?itemType=Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model.PageNode&workflowOperation=Publish',
              contentType: "application/json",
              success:function(xml)    alert('success returned here');  ,
            error:function(theData) alert('error returned here');
                        );  // end ajax
                                                    ) // end function(event)

);

I hope I didnt mess up the matching 's and )'s when I pasted that.  :-)   (Obviously there is stuff (like the guid) that is hard coded and I have to get that programatically.)

This thread is closed