BUG: Page Ordering

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 05:02

BUG: Page Ordering

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi there,

Since I haven't heard anything from Telerik in regards to how to file a bug, I'm just going to start doing it by adding the "BUG" prefix to any posts where I find a bug. If there's a better way please let me know.

This bug is to do with the order of pages. I have a Parent Page, in this case it's a Page Group but the issue happens if it's a page as well. I have 3 sub pages (happens with 2 or more). I change the order by using the Action "Move Up" or "Move Down" command. This moves the page up in order. I add another page and that previous move/sort action is lost and the page is back in it's original position. So regardless of how many times I move a page up or down the sort order is never persisted.

In addition to this bug, the Navigation Menu in Drop Down mode displays the sub pages in an order that is totally different than what you see in the Pages backend. I can't tell if there's a patter here (i.e. it's not always opposite or something predictable).

For me this is a show stopper, I can't have a menu that displays sub pages because I can't control the order they're displayed.

Regards,
Phill

Hi Phill Hodgkinson,

Please try using drag and drop instead of action menus.

Bug ID 101671 is logged to address action menu up/down link problem

Greetings,
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks for the work around. One important note is that you need to sort all items, even if they're currently in the right spot, if you don't move it up and then move it back down again, the SiteMapProvider on the front end won't display the items in the same order you see them in the backend.

As per another thread, really finding it hard to believe this is a "Release Candidate"... 

Regards,
Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

hi,

latest release 4.1 does not work when you reorder it in any way, by actions or by drag-and-drop.

thanks,
andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

I'm experiencing the same problem in Sitefinity 4.1.

Mike

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2011 00:00

Hi guys,

We are going to provide an internal build today, fixing this issue. It is also fixing couple of other thing reported through the support system.

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

@Telerik Admin we  are impatiently waiting for the fix, it is very ridiculous to get new bugs which has been working on previous release such as inline editing. I have told to my customers as a great feature now it is gone.
Hope we won't say hello to new bugs with this release!
Thanks

@Georgi, I appreciate the effort to get the internal build to us with bug fixes. However the important question is, will the internal build be supported with future updates? If not then it's of absolutely no use to us. Also, will this internal build be an update that fixes sites that were upgraded to 4.1 or will we have to revert back to our 4.0 sites and apply this update to upgrade properly? I just want to have an idea if I should even be waiting for this release (if it's not supported then I'm not going to waste my time) and do I need to get my sites ready by reverting back to 4.0 status.

Please let us know.
Cheers,
Phill

@Phill,
  I'm reverting back to 4 to apply this...the way I see it is 4.1 was like the Migration Tool...borked more things than it solved.  So I feel more comfortable applying a hotfix update to go to 4.1(1?) than patch gimpy stuff (everything) in 4.1.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-May-2011 00:00

Hi,

We do not expect problems with upgrading from the internal build to the service pack next week. Furthermore, the SP1 can be applied to 4.0 and 4.1.

Best wishes,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Georgi,

"....Furthermore, the SP1 can be applied to 4.0 and 4.1..."
Do you mean 4.0 which had a SP1 applied to it can have another SP1 applied to it?
Would you recommend that?

I made a complete mess of my project since the upgrade in the effort to solve all the new issues
that have been introduced. If there is a way for me to stay with 4.0.1238.0 and get all my issues fixed
then I would rather do that.

As it is, at the moment I am a bit confused as to the best course of action for me. What is your recommendation?

Thanks,
Andrei

I was wondering if some of the other support tickets included the odd numbering of the ordinal value set in the DB. I have had issues with ordering pages and have gone and looked at the DB. Sometimes there are pages with the same value and sometimes there are pages with a decimal value. So we have .5, 1.8, 1.9, 3, 4. I was just wondering if this was something that was already fixed?

Posted by Community Admin on 05-May-2011 00:00

Richard,

The last weekly build seems to have stabilised the page ordering issue in the back-end for me,
but I still need to test it some more.

Thanks,
Andrei

Well it's nice to hear that it's fixed in the internal build.

BUT

Since you can, or should not use this internal builds for productions at the moment the SF is kicking me in the leg every time I want to show it to the client.

I would appreciate a very fast hotfix for this issue. This is simply an impossible bug and makes the CMS unusuable to clients!

It's like selling a car where you can only stear to the left. Yes there is a workaround. Just take a left with your car when you should go right. Take another left - pass the road where you were on and then take a left and voila you are where you want. Yes the car is usabla but no one can seriously feel good about selling such a car.

So once again - please fix this very very very fast. I don't care if you have two hotfixes before you release the 4.1 SP but I want a car that lets me take left and right turns.

We do not expect problems with upgrading from the internal build to the service pack next week. Furthermore, the SP1 can be applied to 4.0 and 4.1.

Best wishes,
Georgi
UNQUOTE

Does that mean we can expect the SP next week?

Markus

Markus

I agree with Markus. This is a very obvious, showstopper bug for using Sitefinity in a production environment or even demoing it to users or clients. Besides the product just not working, such a glaring bug gives the users and clients the impression that the product has not undergone even the most basic testing or quality assurance. I think a supported/upgradable hotfix would be appropriate.

Thanks,
Mike

I moved back to apply the latest internal, and I'm still hemoraging exceptions...some where there were none before even.

@Markus: There's been multiple posts saying late next week expect a hotfix-like service pack (you do like your car references don't you :)

@Steve

Glad you get to know me :-). Since I am clueless about programming I try to keep it simple. Just tell me if it anyous you and I switch to planes. But that would sound like this:

Imagine you have a plane which can perfectly take of at any airport but is only able to land on those with at least a 5 mile runway that faces north and is wide enough so you can land from the east :-)

Sorry I don't follow not all posts and just wanted to be sure because having a client that is willing to wait 4 month for a project is not very usual and then you don't want to look bad.

Looking forward to next week. Sure hope Telerik delivers on time!

Markus

@Markus
  After trying the latest internal I would event wait till the FOLLOWING week to make sure everything is fixed properly. 

You see once this Service pack is released we likely wont see another until their initial planned date of June (which I guess will be 4.1 SP2).  I just can't afford to wait that long to get issues not fixed in this service pack completed.  I don't want to deliver a broken CMS...they have only "SEEN" it so far, I dont want them clicking around and seeing crashes for a few months.

Duplicated content was fixed for me, but like I can't edit event properties, profile bits crash everywhere (front and backend)....for some reason I don't even see the Lists Module...front-end I'm getting VPP exceptions (that's probably something I'm doing wrong, but I think I followed the blog post correctly, and it "looks" fine editing in the backend). 

There are more issues I'm just too lazy to jump back to the ticket at the moment...it's coffee time ;)

This thread is closed