Displaying multiple external RSS feeds on a page

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 10:32

Displaying multiple external RSS feeds on a page

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

I'm not sure if this is possible in Sitefinity 4.0.

I want to display information from several external RSS feeds on a form.

I can display an RSS feed, but I only see a link (with an optional image) and the user has to click on the link to see the list of articles.

So, a solution is to direct the RSS feed to News.  I can then display the news articles on the form, and the user can immediately see a list of articles.  This is exactly what I want.

However, my full requirement is to display multiple different RSS feeds on the form, each in a different area of the form.

Is this possible, and can it be managed from the front end?

Matt.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Matt,

Thank you for using our services.

I think that I am not able to understand correctly your requirement. Do you want to visualize the RSS feeds on the page? If yes then maybe this demo will help you achieve what you are looking for.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

Sorry to take so long to come back to you.

Here is our problem.

I can get data from an external RSS feed into a Sitefinity RSS feed, but putting an RSS feed onto a form gives you this:

RSS Feed Image

We want the user to see a list of articles in the RSS feed, and we don't want the user to have to click on another link to see the list.  So, we set up the external RSS feed to be imported into News by Sitefinity, which gives us this:

News Imported From RSS

Whilst this is closer to what we want, it still doesn't fulfil all of our needs.  We would want multiple separate News sections on the page, and we would want our users to be able to configure which RSS feeds those news sections are populated from, a bit like this:

What we want

Can this be done?

Matt.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Matt,

This can be partially achieved by the built in control. You can import news from different sources and classify them them by taxonomies, for example categories (BBC News, etc.) Then you can sett multiple news view controls on the page to display latest news from selected categories (news sources).

The other option is to develop a control similar in the demo linked in my first response. You can create a control which binds an RSS feed to a RadRotator control. You can create a custom control designer for your control, as in this tutorial section advanced, so that your users can select which rss feeds to display in the rotator.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

I would be interested in achieving this using the first option you mentioned.

Can you provide instructions on how this can be achieved - I cannot see how to classify the various RSS sources.

Matt.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Matt,

This actual feature is not yet ready. We are going to implement it after the official release.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2011 00:00

I'm still playing around with this.

At the moment, I'm taking data from an external RSS feed and putting it into News.

I can display the list of News articles on the page, but clicking on one gives me a 404 error.

Is this a bug in the release?

The list of news articles is in my login page, so at that point the user hasn't logged in.  When I put the news on another page and access it after the user has logged in, it seems to work fine.

The permissions for the news allow everyone access.

Matt.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Matt,

Thank you for contacting Telerik Support.

Can you please let us know if you have made any configurations to the News? More specifically what are the settings for singe items. Have you set them to open in an auto-generated page or to another page where you should have a news view control? Also have you made any changes to properties such as UrlEvaluationMode and UrlKeyPrefix? I am not able to reproduce the problem if I use the News control as is.

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Radoslav,

I haven't made any changes to the News configuration - it should open in an auto-generated page.

Below is a video showing the steps I follow.

http://screencast.com/t/ZDUEigGkp

Matt.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Matt,

Thank you for providing the screen cast.

When you create the feed before you go to the page where it should display, can you please click on the Actions menu for your feed and select run?

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Feb-2011 00:00

Unfortunately, my trial of Sitefinity 4 has now expired, so I can't try what you ask.

Hi Matt,

Please contact our sales team and explain them the case. I am sure that they will extend your trial for 30 more days.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Hello Matt,

We have also identified an issue with the integrated development server. We've logged it in our bugtracking system (ID 106686) and will fix it for the upcoming release. In the mean time you can try setting up the website on IIS or open it through the VS web development server.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed