Load Balancing

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 19:51

Load Balancing

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Dec-2010 00:00

What does the support for load balanced environments provide in the Professional edition of SF4? I imagine it synchronizes the APP_DATA folders across all web servers. What else does it do?

I read a post about it invalidating cache across multiple servers -- so if upload a new version of an image, it will be uncached from all web servers and recached (or recached upon usage)?

Anything else?

Thanks,
Eric

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello Eric,

Thank you for contacting us. 

The Load Balancing support does not yet sync the files in the App_Data directory. What it actually does is synchronizing the cache state between the servers in the load balance. Otherwise you may get some content items appearing randomly depends on which server processes the request.
We have plans to improve this feature - we will add synchronization of App_data and much better cache handling.

Best wishes,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Dec-2010 00:00

I was thinking uploaded content went to the app_data folder, but now I see it in the database.

Two questions:
1. If load balancing doesn't support app_data syncing yet, if we modify the SF configuration, we'll have to manually copy config files from one server to another? When else would we need to copy files from one server to another?
2. What is the method of expiring items from the SF cache? Does it poll for changes? Does it invalidate when content is published? Is there a timeout for when the content expires? If there is a timeout, how long is it?

Thanks,
Eric

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Eric,

1. We have logged bugs about working under load balanced environment. The file storage like App_Data/Configurations should be manually copied if you use more than one file storage or the server should be restarted to updated all changes. I agree that this is not convenient and we are working on fixing the issues as much as we can for the time that we have now. We will do our best to sort our most of the issues for the official release.

2. For caching we use Telerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching. The actual implementation of the caching and invalidating the cache is still not completed. There is a CacheManager class under elerik.Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching which expose public methods for working with  caching. When we add a new Cache item to the chache if there is item that already exists with the same key we remove this item and add the new one as a result the cache dependency is invalidated and your load balanced instances should be updated with the new data.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik Dev team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed