Passing parameters between two UserControls

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 22:49

Passing parameters between two UserControls

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

I use two UserControls in my website, is that possible to pass parameters to a UserControl to another. If yes, how can I do?

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello Millaneli,

You can use QueryString, Cookies and Session( Session will be supported with the R, because currently we are having some issues with the session state).

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for response.

This is my first experience with Sitefinity, how I use the querystring with Sitefinity 4.0 RC? and especially if I create pages with Sitefinity how I can modify them with Visual Studio 2010?

Hello Millaneli,

Sitefinity's pages are dynamically created and there are not physical files that you can modify. Your logic should be done in custom or/and user controls. QueryString keys and Cookies could be set through a control instances on a page.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Ivan,

Please, can you give me examples because I can not really understand how?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello Millaneli,

Example:

Custom control 1 -  process request.

protected override void InitializeControls(System.Web.UI.Control controlContainer)
    base.InitializeControls(controlContainer);
    this.buttonControl.Click += new EventHandler(buttonControl_Click);
    this.buttonControl2.Click += new EventHandler(buttonControl2_Click);

void buttonControl_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

this.Page.Response.Redirect(this.Page.Request.Url.PathAndQuery + "?something=1");

void buttonControl2_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

this.Page.Response.Redirect(this.Page.Request.Url.PathAndQuery + "?something=2");

Custom control 2 - displays the data:

protected override void InitializeControls(System.Web.UI.Control controlContainer)

base.InitializeControls(controlContainer);

if (this.Page != null &&  this.Page.Request.QueryString["something"] != null)

int number = Int32.Parse(this.Page.Request.QueryString["something"]);
           switch (number)

case 1:
                   this.labelControl.Text = "My something 1";
                   break;
               case 2:
                   this.labelControl.Text = "My something 2";
                   break;

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

I am confused.  If the page doesn't exist (which I know it is a 'virtual' file) how can I link to the new page?

For example, I have a page called Job Postings that hosts a user control that has a GridView list of job postings.  I have a template field with a LinkButton that acts as a 'Select" command.  When this LinkButton is clicked, I would like to be transferred to another page which is called Applicants and it hosts a user control that has a Gridview List of applicants.

protected void JobPostingsLinkButton_Click (object sender, EventArgs e) 

String jobID = (String) GridView1.SelectedRow.Cells[0].Text.ToString();
        Response.Redirect("Applicants.aspx?JobID=" + jobID);

The click event works fine, but when I run the page that hosts this control, I get the following error when trying to pass the JobID to my Applicant page:

Message: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Line: 5
Char: 62099
Code: 0

I did not post the URL for security reasons.

I do not see how I could possibly use what you posted, because your code knows nothing about my destination page:
void buttonControl_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) 

this.Page.Response.Redirect(this.Page.Request.Url.PathAndQuery + "?something=1"); 

Page.Request.Url.PathAndQuery??  I know when I use hyperlinks within Sitefinity it shows a GUID for the page to which I am linking.  I can't figure out how to imitate this functionality from code.

Hello Edward,

You can always get the QueryString using HttpRequest.QueryString.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I don't think you understand.  The error I am getting relates to the destination page.  It does not exist in the file system, as it is a virtual file.  Getting the querystring value once I have arrived at the destination page is not an issue.  It is the Response.Redirect that is causing the problem.

Response.Redirect("Applicants.aspx?JobID=" + jobID);

Specifically, how do I redirect my "JobPostings" page to "Applicants".  I tried grabbing the GUID of the page (by setting up a link in a Generic Content control) and replacing "Applicants.aspx" above with the GUID, but that failed as well.

Would this work?

// create a new instance of CmsManager
Telerik.Cms.CmsManager cmsManager = new Telerik.Cms.CmsManager();

// let's get the page by passing one of it's additional url's
Telerik.Cms.IPage myPage = cmsManager.GetPageByAdditionalUrl("Applicants.aspx");

// we can cast myPage as ICmsPage and write out its default url and see that it's different
// from the additional url
Response.Redirect(myPage + "?JobID=" + JobID)

I got this from the developer's manual.

Well, I have it working....  Somewhat.

protected void GridView1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)

// get the JobID of the selected row
       GridViewRow row = GridView1.SelectedRow;
       String jobID = (String)row.Cells[0].Text;
       // let's get the page by passing one of it's additional url's 
       Telerik.Cms.ICmsPage myPage = (Telerik.Cms.ICmsPage) cmsManager.GetPageByAdditionalUrl("~/Admin/HRDashboard/Applicants.aspx");
       Response.Redirect(myPage + "?JobID=" + jobID);

However, this is the URL I get redirected to: "~/Admin/?JobID=1" It doesn't seem to be able to get anything beyond the root.

What am I doing wrong?

For anyone that cares to know, I finally did it.  This is the code that worked:

protected void GridView1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)

// get the JobID of the selected row
        GridViewRow row = GridView1.SelectedRow;
        String jobID = (String)row.Cells[0].Text;

// let's get a reference to the current page.

Telerik.Cms.Web.CmsSiteMapNode currentNode = (Telerik.Cms.Web.CmsSiteMapNode)SiteMap.CurrentNode;
        Telerik.Cms.ICmsPage currentPage = currentNode.GetCmsPage();
        Guid currentPageId = currentPage.ID;

// let's find the page through it's parent (the current page).  
        Telerik.Cms.IPage applicants = cmsManager.GetChildPageByName(currentPageId, "Applicants");

// let's redirect the page using it's static URL. 

Response.Redirect((((Telerik.Cms.ICmsPage)applicants).StaticUrl) + "?JobID=" + jobID);

Hope that this helps anyone that has the same problem in the future.

Hello Edward,

This part is not necessary

Telerik.Cms.Web.CmsSiteMapNode currentNode = (Telerik.Cms.Web.CmsSiteMapNode)SiteMap.CurrentNode;
        Telerik.Cms.ICmsPage currentPage = currentNode.GetCmsPage();
        Guid currentPageId = currentPage.ID;

since you can get the ID of the current page from the context.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed