Integer Primary Keys

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 21:36

Integer Primary Keys

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

I'm noticing that the DataProviderBase has method signatures that include IDataItem.  IDataItem includes a property for Id that is a Guid.

Our dba's get their panties in a bunch when we talk about guid's as primary keys, even with the newsequentialid functionality.

Is there any way to use integers as primary keys in 4.0 without totally bypassing the built-in base classes?

Thanks,

John.

Hi John,

You can change the primary keys and expected variables only in a custom implementations.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Ivan,

I'm continually amazed at the quickness of the customer support that you provide.

Let me ask one follow up question.

Does "Custom implementation" mean that we could implement all the nice juicy base classes but ignore the id property on all our model classes?  Or would a Guid.Empty id blow stuff up?  We are not using OpenAccess, but rather entity framework, so I'm not concerned with the provider implementation - but the related stuff like the module, manager, and ui stuff like ViewModeControl<T>, etc.

Hello John,

If we are talking to IDataItem, the ID type cannot be changed and there are many dependencies that does not allow you to do this. When I said custom implementation I meant that something that does not use our base classes and does not rely on them.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed