Sitefinity Job Scheduler

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 09:03

Sitefinity Job Scheduler

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

I am looking forward to Sitefinity 4.0 and was wondering if I use it for my next project. I need some answers before I could make that decision.

1) Does Sitefinity has a Job Scheduler? I need to have a scheduler run in the background and execute some function periodically to query a webservice and import data into it's database.
2) I need to implement Login through Facebook and also through Asp.NET Membership.
3) Is there a nice documentation for creating custom modules. I know a lot has changed in 4.0 but the documentation provided isn't clear. Are you going to provide more detailed documentation for 4.0?

If you can provide those answers at the earliest, that would be great.

Thanks

--
Preetham Reddy

Hello Preetham,

1) Does Sitefinity has a Job Scheduler? I need to have a scheduler run in the background and execute some function periodically to query a webservice and import data into it's database.

We do not have a Job Scheduler that you can use to import data from another database. You can schedule only items that are part of the current website.

2) I need to implement Login through Facebook and also through Asp.NET Membership.

We will have Facebook pipeline that will allow you to publish content through your facebook account.

3) Is there a nice documentation for creating custom modules. I know a lot has changed in 4.0 but the documentation provided isn't clear. Are you going to provide more detailed documentation for 4.0?

We are going to release a custom sample module with documentation about it later this week.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Can you be more clear regarding point 1? What do mean by scheduling something within the current website? All I need is something that triggers a function at regular intervals of time.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Dec-2010 00:00

Also, Is there a timeline when Facebook pipeline is going to be rolled into Sitefinity. We are looking to implement it and wondering if we should wait for Sitefinity or go for Custom Development.

I just downloaded Sitefinity 4.0 RC2 today and in the Advanced Settings there are nodes for Twitter and Facebook. Twitter allowed me to register the application.  After that, I don't know what to do. Facebook was throwing errors.

Property accessor 'UserId' on object 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Publishing.Facebook.Configuration.FacebookUser' threw the following exception:'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'

Can you guide me what to do after supplying details to Facebook and Twitter? Is there any documentation on how to use these pipelines?

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Preetham,

Regarding point 1, my colleague wanted to say that currently you can schedule content items for publishing or unpublishing, but this is not what your scenario requires.
We do not have a job scheduler components yet in the system.

As for the Twitter and Facebook pipe, the Twitter Pipe is ready to be used, while the Facebook one - not yet. It will not be done for the official release, I hope that we will be able to do it right after that.

We are currently producing the documentation for the publication system. In short, the Twitter pipe works as follows:

1. You register your application (Sitefinity web site), because twitter requires all applications to have be signed with a key
2. You should be able to associate your user with that application. Just create a new user from which the tweets will be posted.

This all you have to do. 

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Dec-2010 00:00

@Preetham

The topic of Task Scheduler has been discussed with V3.x

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-3-x/developing-with-sitefinity/background-process-or-interval-service-process.aspx

Perhaps, if you really need a V4 solution now (before any official Telerik solution) you might be able to adapt something from those 3.x approaches.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Dec-2010 00:00

Incredible...

Thanks a lot for pointing me to right direction.

Will keep you posted.

--
Preetham Reddy

This thread is closed