How to avoid tooltips in the RadMenu

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 06:45

How to avoid tooltips in the RadMenu

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Dec-2010 00:00

I would like to know how can I disable the tooltips in the RadMenu.
I have not found anything in the documentation nor the forums.
Thank you

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello Vincent,

When you bind the control, inside ItemDataBound you can set e.Item.Tooltip to an empty string. There is a property of the RadMenu control - Tooltip that you can also use.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Mar-2011 00:00

I am not seeing this in the advanced setting of the default menu. Can you explain in detail how to disable the tooltip in SF4. Thanks.

Hello Benjamin,

The Tooltip property is available for the RadMenu control. The property is defined inside RadDataBoundControl class. If you use RadMenu control the property is exposed in the control designer.
Do you use the RadMenu control and how do you bind it?

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

We are simply using the default navigation menu in SF4 which appears to use the radmenu control. I see "tooltip" in the advanced menu when I select edit but that simply replaces the tooltip that appears to draw from the page meta description. Is there a way to disable the tooltip all together on the default navigation menus?

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello Benjamin,

Ok the property you see in the control designer comes from the base ASP.NET WebControl and actually this property is an empty string. Can you tell me which mode of the Navigation Control you use , so I can check how to disable the ToolTip. The problem here is that the Navigation Control is wrapper of a custom controls which wrap the RadControls. So if there is no public property of the root level wrappers the workaround will require to override the control behavior with a custom code.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Mar-2011 00:00

We are using the "horizontal with drop down menus" for our primary navigation and "vertical" for our secondary navigation. Unrelated - it would be nice to add in a feature for the "vertical" menu similar to the side panel bar where you could start the menu at the current level. Our work-around was to create templates for every level in our site which turned out to take an enourmous amount of time. I know I have seen this question asked in another forum post as well.

Thank you, -Ben

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi ,

I checked the  two modes of the control under the latest release and there is no tooltip. I attached a short video. I will put your request for further consideration.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Mar-2011 00:00

My guess is that you don't have a meta description in the page you created. We are developing this project in SP1 so I don't believe there is a difference between the versions.

I have attached a screen shot to illustrated.

Thanks, -Ben

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Benjamin,

Ok I see what the problem is. The tooltip actually comes from the base controls -say RadMenu

To alter the tooltip you should use a custom template for the NavigationControl and set the tootip to empty string or remove it.

template
<telerik:RadMenu runat="server" ID="RadMenu1"  ></telerik:RadMenu>

code behind

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

RadMenu1.DataBind();
            this.RadMenu1.ItemDataBound +=new Telerik.Web.UI.RadMenuEventHandler(RadMenu1_ItemDataBound);

void RadMenu1_ItemDataBound(object sender, Telerik.Web.UI.RadMenuEventArgs e)

e.Item.ToolTip = "";

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Ivan
We've experienced the same "bug" on several of our releases, the meta description shows up as a tooltip in the nagigation. We found this suggestion of workaround, but the question is (almost a year later) is there any plans for any fixes or options to disable the tooltips? Or is this the olny way to hide the meta description?

Magnus Lindeberg, Tankbar

Posted by Community Admin on 10-May-2012 00:00

I'll add myself to the list of people who would like to see the "feature" off by default.
According to the Microsoft SEO Toolkit, a page descriptions should be between 25 and 150 characters, be human readable and contain lots of keywords.
Human readable is about the only part of this which seem appropriate for the a tooltip on every single menu item!

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2012 00:00

In case anyone is looking for RadTreeView version of the above code, this seems to be working for me.

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

siteMapControl_verticaltree.DataBind();
            this.siteMapControl_verticaltree.NodeDataBound += new Telerik.Web.UI.RadTreeViewEventHandler(siteMapControl_verticaltree_NodeDataBound);

void siteMapControl_verticaltree_NodeDataBound(object sender, Telerik.Web.UI.RadTreeNodeEventArgs e)

e.Node.ToolTip = "";

This thread is closed