Custom Fields in Membership

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2018 10:08

Custom Fields in Membership

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

I am evaluating Sitefinity for my new project and I need answers to several questions : 

I want to be able to add few extra fields for the user in the database. Also, I want to provide the ability for the user to login using Email (not userid) and Password and also through Facebook/OpenID/Twitter etc.,.

Can you guide me on how to implement such kind of functionality?

Thanks a lot for your help

--
Preetham Reddy

Hi Preetham,

To add custom membership fields you have to

1. Create a custom data layer to persist your data for the custom fileds

2. Create a custom membership provider that extends our OpenAccessMembershipProvider with methods which will use to work with your custom fields

3. Create a custom class that inherits from Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.User and implement several properties that you will use to get/set data to the custom fields you have added.

The user name of your user could be the email address. You just have to use an email for the username when a user is being registered.

We have Twitter and Facebook pipes that allows you to make posts there directly from the UI of Sitefinity - when you create a new blog post.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Ivan,

Thank you so much for the direction. I am going to implement it today and will let you know if I hit any further road block.

Also, Do you know when are Twitter and Facebook Pipelines going to be available for us? Do we have to wait until the official release? I can see Twitter and Facebook nodes in the Administration > Settings > Advanced.

I don't know what to do with them. Can you provide me some direction?

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

Can this user class be extended through Dynamic Fields? 

Something like : 

App.WorkWith().DynamicData().Type(typeof(User))
                .Field().TryCreateNew("DateofBirth", typeof(DateTime), ref changedDB).SaveChanges(true);

If this can work... it's fantastic... If not, I can extend OpenAccess OpenAccessMembershipProvider...

Please let me know...

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello Preetham,

At this stage you cannot add custom dynamic fields to Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.User class.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed